1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disneyland...the original

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Johnie, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

So, we slept far too long but we were tired. Finally got up and I tinkered on the computer a bit while the girls got ready. Just an FYI, they take FOREVER. Good for mom who gets to sleep in a bit :yes: Not so good when you want to get somewhere!

Finally, we are ready and head out the door. We decided to take the car and park. My AAA DL hopper includes free parking. Ok, so I follow my directions. I get off the freeway and turn left because that is the way to DL. Hmmmm....where oh where is the parking? I drive up and down the road and can't see parking anywhere. I see all of these hotels that I looked at while planning my trip. I see the sign for Disneyland, California Adventure and Downtown Disney...but no parking.

Finally I call PsychoAlice and ask here where the parking is. She laughed at me! Apparently, back when I was getting off the freeway, I should have turned RIGHT and there was the parking......ok found it. It is ginormous and I swear we parked as far away from anything as we could. I think it would have been quicker to walk from the hotel.......we have decided in the future we are going to try the free shuttle the hotel offers :yes: So, we walk and walk to the the tram. We go down 2 escalators and walk some more. There is the tram! We get let off at Downtown Disney. Wow....everything is right there. I had no idea that everything was so close. It's a bit like Universal/Citywalk/IOA if you've been there.

Ok, we are in line at the ticket booth to get the kiddos actual tickets. We decide to go into Disneyland first. This is the first thing we saw.

Attached Files:

2. Johnie

hmmmm why can't I put the pics where I want them?
  3. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

dunno but great pics so far :)
  4. Johnie

Still a mystery.....ya'll are smart people, you'll figure out what stuff is ;)

Ok, so Sarah (PsychoAlice) wanted me to call her when I first went in so I did. My very FIRST impression of Disneyland......wow....everything is so short! Seriously. Short. I am 5'7". Not a gigantically tall person but tall enough and I felt like Gulliver with the Lilliputians. Ok, so I know this was built back in the 1950's. Things were much smaller back then. Someone even mentioned the possibility of construction being short because of earthquakes....no idea. I just know that it is small.

Look the girls even had to duck and they are only 5'1 1/2"

Attached Files:

5. Johnie

And here is the castle. I had been warned it wasn't as big as the one at WDW but I am still shocked. I even made the comment that they build McMansions bigger than this. Alysia says she thinks our house is bigger than this ;)

Attached Files:

6. Johnie

I have no more pictures at the moment. Alysia has taken all of the memory cards. These pics are ones I managed to get from the girls' my space pages :lol:

We headed off to Frontierland first. Alysia was demanding to be fed. So we wandered into Rancho del Zocalo. Here is the menu:

Citrus Fire-Grilled Chicken -- 1/2 Chicken, seasoned in a savory marinade of cumin, garlic, cilantro, lemon & lime. $13.49

Red Chile Enchilada Platter -- Four Cheese Enchiladas with Red Chile sauce. $9.49

Carne Asada & Red Chile Enchilada Platter -- Succulent Beef cooked to perfection served with two Cheese Enchiladas. $11.49

Soft Tacos Monterrey -- "Fajita Style" Beef, Chicken, or Vegetables, topped with Cheese and served in Flour Tortillas. $9.99

Burrito Sonora -- "Fajita Style" Beef, Chicken or Vegetables plus Refried Bean and Cheese. Wrapped in a Flour Tortilla and topped with a traditional Guajillo Sauce. $10.49

All of the above Platters include Mexican Rice and Refried Beans. Sauteed Vegetables may be substituted for Rice and Beans.

Crispy Chips con Limon - $2.99
    -- Add a side of Salsa $0.99

Tortilla Soup $4.99

Tostada Salad -- "Fajita Style" Beef, Chicken or Vegetables presented in a Crispy Tortilla Shell with Refried Beans, Chopped Lettuce topped with Cheddar and Jack Cheese. $10.49

Hacienda Chicken Caesar Salad -- Grilled Chicken Breast, Romaine lettuce, Red Bell Peppers, Cotija Cheese, tossed with our own zesty Pepitas Caesar dressing and topped with crisp Tortilla Strips. $11.49

Child's Menu

Bean and Cheese Burrito -or- Chicken Taco -- Served with rice, fruit cup, a fun straw and choice of Low-fat milk, Low-fat chocolate milk, juice or small bottled water. $5.99
    sodas available upon request

Toddler Menu

Arroz con Pollo - Chicken & rice with smooth applesauce and small Low-fat milk. $2.99

Desserts

Fresh Tropical Fruit $4.59
    Tres Leches Cake $4.99
    Chocolate Praline Cake $4.99
    Coconut Flan $4.99

Beverages

Coke, diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Coke Zero, Root Beer, Sprite, Fanta Orange, Light Lemonade, Powerade, Iced Tea $2.69
    Souvenir Sipper (includes drink at time of purchase) $7.99
    Bottled Water $2.69
    Chocolate Milk $2.69
    Hot Cocoa $2.69
    Nescafe Coffee - Regular, Decaf $2.69
    Hot Tea $2.69
    Orange Juice, Apple Juice $1.59
    Milk $1.59

Alysia and I shared the burrito since it was HUGE. Jordan got the soft tacos and we call got Cokes. Disneyland only offers the smaller size drink. The CM did tell us we could come back and get a free refill if we brought our receipt. Interesting difference from WDW. The food was on real plates and we had real silverware.....

After our bellies were full, we headed off to explore. We rode Pirates of the Caribbean. I cannot compare it with WDW. I really like both versions :yes: I also think it is very cool that the Blue Bayou restaurant overlooks part of the ride (think San Angel Inn in Mexico). I absolutely love the Haunted Mansion house. It is very typical of the Southern mansions we have here. The inside was pretty similar to the WDW version.

Disneyland is very narrow. There isn't a lot of walkway room and when I really wanted to sit down and chill later in the afternoon, there wasn't anywhere to do this!

The weather in California is just perfect. It was hot but it was not humid and I swear that makes all the difference in the world. I noticed that many of the queues at DL are outside. That was fine but when we actually got to an indoor area, there seemed to be a noticeable lack of air conditioning. It was quite stuffy on the inside of most places and I would rather be outside where there is air. We rode many things in Fantasyland, IASW was closed for refurb and I was :( It looks quite amazing from the outside! We rode the Pinnochio ride and something happened towards the end. The lights came on and we all had to walk off. Some people thought this would be a good time to touch things and make the CM yell at them :slap:

I saw the light in Walt's window at night and I had a moment. I have a picture of it. I'll post when I ransom my photos!

We headed over to California Adventure. It is a much bigger place! You can tell it was built more recently. We saw the Alladin show. OMG, it was FANTASTIC!! It really should be on Broadway. We rode the Tower of Terror. The one at WDW is bigger.

People kept asking us if we liked Disneyland better or WDW better. I finally came to the realization towards the end of the trip that I would answer with "DL is awesome!" and leave it at that. People really did not want to know my answer :p015: I can appreciate DL for what it is. It IS the original and it is where Walt was. However, WDW was Walt's big dream and it is so sad that he never got to see it in person. I think he would be really pleased :p015:
  7. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Sounds like a great start Johnie . Wow, the castle is really tiny . And you just made my mind up for me , I think I'll stick with WDW .
  8. Johnie

I think everyone should go at least once and pay homage. However, I wouldn't make my whole trip about DL. There is tons of stuff to do in CA!
  9. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Now see there...you've got me all teary eyed!
  10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Great report Johnie. Isn't it nice to visit the park that started it all?
  11. Johnie

It was :p015: and I certainly appreciated it more on other visits. It's really hard not to compare to WDW.
  12. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Brilliant repot Johnie....waiting to see Walt's window :yes:
    Wow....that castle is like a dolls house :lol: So pleased you're having fun though.
  13. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Great report Johnie, I'm loving the photos :) It's great to have a report from someone who gets 'disney', family and friends who has been to DL just moan about it being too small and the castle being tiny and the area being too crowded. :rolleyes008: Yes I know all that it is over 50 years old and that is why Walt wanted lots of land for WDW :D I would love to go just to pay homage :p015:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  14. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

great report so far

wow the castle your not wrong it is SHORT wow it looks all wrong compared the wdw one doesnt it

i wanna go to cali have done for a while now, but just not for DL
  15. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If Walt hadn't realized his dream with DisneyLand then he never could have expanded upon that dream for WDW.

I found it very different in many ways from WDW, but would like to go back again one day to just see the parks in my own pokey way. :D Having little ones with us was a treat, but we focused more on what they wanted to do instead of just savoring the park.
  16. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Great report so far, looking forward to more pics. :)
  17. Rosie0610

Rosie0610 Imagineer

Great report Johnie! I loved DL but not in the same way as WDW. I loved it for how small it was and everything was easy to get to. It seemed more dumbed down and not as "showy" as WDW. I did notice the difference in eating areas. We ate by the HM, I can't remember the name of the place but they had a jazz band playing and the food was generous and seemed homemade. Not like WDW where they make 100 pizzas in 10 mins.

I appreciate DL for what it started and how you can do it all in 2 days. I appreciate WDW for it's awesomeness and all encompassing feeling that you really are in a different world for however long you stay.
  18. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It's great to read all about DL again Johnie. I'm hoping we get chance to have a few days there next year when we go back to Cali.

Aladdin was brilliant, I was sure they would have bought it to WDW, it would be so popular. It gave me goosebumps when they flew on the carpet.
  19. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

This is true, Johnie . One day we may go . Pat & Kim are going in February . Anyway, loving your TR's and can't wait to read more .
  20. Johnie

I'll try to get another one up tonight. Alysia is home and I hope to wrangle my memory card from her!