1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney's Coronado Springs and Convention Resort -The complete Guide

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Britchick, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Coronado Springs and Convention Resort at Walt Disney World.

disney-s-coronado-springs.jpg

Disneys_Coronado_Springs_Resort.jpg

It’s address and telephone number are:

1000 W Buena Vista Drive
    Lake Buena Vista
    FL

Phone: 407- 939-1000

The Coronado springs is a lakeside American Southwest-themed moderate resort. It is set around Lago Dorado, a 22-acre lake with theming that captures the spirit of Spanish-colonial Mexico. It is located between Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park and Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park. It opened on 1st August 1997.

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort also offers 220,000 square feet of flexible function space.

The resort is very large and spread out and no section is convenient for everything. However, bell services staff in carts are usually more than happy to give you a lift. The resort is very pleasant to walk around but may involve quite a walk.

Room layouts

There are 1,967 guest rooms located in 12 x 2-3 story guest buildings set in 3 villages. Rooms were last renovated in 2009.

coronado-springs-map-small.jpg

Guest rooms are approximately 314 square feet. There are 224 rooms with king-size beds and 99 accessible rooms.
    Standard rooms accommodate up to four guests. They have a sink outside the bathroom with sliding wood doors across the sink area.
    Club level rooms are available in Casitas 9B. These rooms offer views of the lake, courtyard or parking lot. Business Club Level services include personalized Front Desk and Guest Services, turndown service and a lounge with continental breakfast, midday snacks and evening wine (additional fee) and cheese.

dcont_CS_room_layout.jpg

Casitas village has 1024 guest rooms (981 guest rooms and 43 suites) the buildings are themed on villages commonly found in Santa Fe or Monterey.
    Ranchos village The Ranchos have a more rustic, rural flavor to them, complete with a small stream. There are 624 guest rooms that are housed in two and three-storey villas.
    Cabanas village has two-storey Mexican-style adobe bungalows with 319 guest rooms.

Disneys-Coronado-Springs-Resort-Room-Thumbnail.jpg

Amenities

4-cup coffee makers with coffee replaced by mouse keepers are available. Each room has flat screen TVs and dark wood furniture. Each room also has an armoire, small table with two chairs, nightstand, ceiling fan, air conditioning and small wall safe. Hair dryers, iron, and ironing board, and small refrigerator are also standard. Available on request are cribs, bed rails and wheelchairs.
    Wi-Fi service is available in all Walt Disney World resort hotels at no extra cost.

Pool and Recreation

The dig site is the main pool area at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort and is themed to represent the important find of a Mayan kingdom during an archaeological dig. A 50-foot Mayan pyramid is the centerpiece of this 120' by 90' pool. Water trickles down stone steps of the Pyramid of the Sun, coming from behind the pyramid is a 123 foot long water slide with a jaguar that spits water at guests as they go down the slide. 

There is also a children's pool here. Pool towels are available at the Dig Site.

There are 3 quiet pools, one at each of the village areas, but guests must bring their room towels here, as pool towels are not offered.

Lifeguards are found at the main pool, but not at the quiet pools. Pool hours are from 8 a.m. to midnight for the Dig Site and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. for the quiet pools.

Other amenities include a large hot tub, volleyball court, poolside bar, playground themed as an archaeological dig and an arcade.

disney-coronado-springs-resort-pool.jpg

There are 4 bus stops providing complimentary transport around the resort and to other Walt Disney World Resort areas.

Magic Kingdom Park: Take the Magic Kingdom Park bus
    ◦ Epcot: Take the Epcot bus
    ◦ Disney's Hollywood Studios: Take the Disney's Hollywood Studios bus
    ◦ Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park: Take the Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park bus
    Downtown Disney Marketplace, Downtown Disney West Side, Downtown Disney: Take the Downtown Disney bus
    ◦ Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park: Take Downtown Disney bus and transfer to Typhoon Lagoon bus.
    ◦ Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park: Take the Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park bus

Help others by sharing your experiences at the Coronado Springs Resort and convention centre. Have you stayed there? What do you like or dislike? Would you stay there again? Anything at all you would like to share and please feel free to add photos.

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We kept putting off staying here, mainly because it is a convention center and secondly because of sheer size. We finally did stay however. The resort is gorgeous. Our TA, much to our surprise got us into an accessible room, even though I didn't ask for one and we had only a short walk to the main building. The walk was lovely as the weather wasn't too hot. If we wanted to go over to the main pool we took our car. We have a very good friend who works in the Maya Grill and we were able to visit with him. The Pepper Market was a unique experience for us and I still have mixed feelings about it. Should the need arise we would definitely stay here again.

3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

We stopped there last year and sadly it was a huge disappointment for us.

It is a very big resort and we expected to walk alot but it was verging on the ridiculous. The transport regulally didn't turn up and would often skip the last bus stop (which we were closest to).

The resort as a whole looked very tired and worn to me.

I hate being so negative but we really worked this holiday up and really enjoyed it but my only downside was the hotel.

Sorry :(

4. Britchick

That's a shame, we stayed there in the early 2000s for a few nights. We had a car and were near the car park but I do understand what you mean. We had a long way to go to the pool so didn't use it much. Shame as it looks like a nice one. The rooms look nice from the photo though.

5. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

The rooms were standard Disney. They were clean and well looked after. It's just the resort looked tired.

We were directly opposite the main reception and a walk away from the pool. It was a nice resort and we know that old key west is on par if not bigger than this resort so I guess we may have the same issues next year but we go knowing this rather than expecting more like we did last year.

Dispite us booking nearly two years in advance and requesting a close room we didn't get it. I know it's not guaranteed but when you get given a map at reception and the walk is a good 20 minutes to your room you can't help but feel a little disappointed especially given that we paid rack rate for the room (should have done our research first lol).

6. Britchick

Well at OKW the buses are frequent so no need to worry, hope you get where you request :)

7. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

8. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Thank you. I've learnt my lesson and have done my research so I know what to expect :yes:

9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I've stayed here and I really enjoyed it. I was lucky enough to be right next to the main building. Had I been put in a building further away I think my opinion would have been slightly different. I absolutely loved the food at Pepper Market. The variety was awesome. I liked that they had a small snack area open late, which helped when coming back from the parks late. The buses were frequent and hardly full. I felt close to everything even though I wasn't. I would definitely stay again.

10. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Addicted to Mickey

We've stayed there twice and loved it both times. We don't mind the walk to the room as it gives you a chance to admire the scenery, especially at night when it's all lit up.
    During the morning walk there are often plenty of animals to see scampering around.

The recently revised buffet breakfast is great for those who like stuffing our faces and the servers are always really friendly.

Never any real problems with transport once you learn the system. We tend to play a game about which bus is coming next and we've never waited more than about 15 minutes.

Definitely our favorite resort at the moment.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Beautiful resort for sure, especially at night.

We found the buses were problematic and took ages to get to some places.

The "food court" was as Uscwest mentions, a mixed experience for us also. Much more variety than other Disney resorts, great to wander round but operated at the time we went by an outside company which had a negative effect on the customer service we experienced. A tip was added automatically but all the server did was get a couple of drinks, and reluctantly at that. At one point they had one of their staff "guarding" a way out to make sure everyone came and went via the checkout desks and the staff member was particularly rude.

Hopefully that's all changed but I certainly prefer port orleans

12. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Pretty much sums up the food court for me. It was still the same last september when we went.

The buses were (I'm going to say it) awful from here. They skipped stops many times when we were on the bus and when we were waiting for it.

They often paired buses up so for example a bus would call at the studios and Epcot but would only say Epcot on the front. It wasn't until the second week when we asked a driver where the buses were for the studios did he say that a direct bus only leaves every 45mins approx.

The staff at both the reception and also in the food court (as mentioned) gave the impression it was a hassle to help anyone.

I really hate being negative I really do but I think that it needs to be added so that people can make a balanced decision whether to go here.

Given the many hotels there are to try at Disney world I don't think we will be stopping there anytime soon.

13. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

me too but I agree, if this is to be the one thread someone intending to stay at a resort reads, they should have the bad as well as the good so as to make an informed decision :yes:

14. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Sadly, the service was awful when we were at OKW. Maybe it was just a bad season..

I agree. We found their bus service to be the best so far. We loved the Pepper Market. Also, the CMs at this resort were all very friendly and helpful.

We've stayed there twice too. The walk around the lake is beautiful at night, isn't it? :handinhand:

15. buzz2001

buzz2001 Imagineer

I've always found the transportation to be terrific at CSR. 17 trips and counting.

CSR is centrally located, you'll have a quick ride to all the parks. And being a convention resort, the buses seem less crowded because guests are busy with their conventions.

CSR is the most central to the 3 parks. The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World in part three "Selecting your Hotel" it states that the commuting times to the parks from CSR are: 7:30 to MK; 4:00 to Epcot; 4:45 to MGM; and 4:45 to Animal Kingdom! As a comparison from POR it is 12:00 to MK; 8:00 to Epcot; 12:30 to MGM; and 16:15 to AK. See the map below.

281c844.jpg

16. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The 12 minutes to MK from POR is actually misleading and is because of the route that the buses take. They could easily make MK in 4-5 minutes if they went in past Ft. Wilderness.

17. Britchick

Could being the operative word. I don't think I've been on any bus to any location that's taken any less than 10 mins.

18. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

It certainly isn't my favourite resort. We stayed there a few years ago and to be honest, I would have rather stayed at any one of the All Stars. It is a very spread out resort, but there were things we liked. The main pool is lovely and the kids certainly loved it. We found the transport very good while we were there. We just exited our room, went down the steps and were there in a minute. The buses were never crowded. The gelatos at Cafe Rix were fantastic too - our server told us that they were made on site every day.
    We quite liked the Pepper Market but the staff (common complaint amongst people I know who have stayed there) were very surly. However, I would rather have had a straight forward walk in, serve yourself and pay type of set up.
    The walking, oh my goodness, the walking ...... I did not like it one bit in the heat.
    On the next trip we stayed at POFQ and what a difference! We all loved the size of the resort, the theming and the friendliness. It did not matter one iota that we didnt have the same dining options. We liked them and in any case most of our eating was done away from the hotel.
    Will we ever go back to CSR? No. It would not be a choice again. However we may nip over there this year for some Mexican food and an ice cream.

Mags

19. Miss Britt

Miss Britt Imagineer

Reading this makes me very nervous and I'm questioning my decision for my boyfriends and my first Disney trip in October. It took a long time to narrow it down and decide to stay at CSR and after reading some of these comments, I'm nervous. We know the resort is very large, but is getting around really that difficult? We arrive on a Monday & leave on Friday.. I hope we don't have a miserable time, he'll never want to go back if we do.

20. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Miss Britt, you will not have a miserable time. It is like most resorts in that views are very mixed. Of all the values, Pop is probably one of the most popular. We hated it with a passion, yet only one other person I know disliked it. I loved POFQ yet another friend moved out after 2 days and transferred to ASMu because she didnt like it.
    It was a very personal thing for us. The resort is big, yet look what we have done - gone and booked OKW for this year! It is a beautiful resort and the convention centre crowd do not get in the way. It just didnt tick all the boxes for us, that is all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mags