1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney's Magical Express

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Oreo, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

We will be using this for the first time next year. Previous visits we have hired a car, however as we will only be visiting Universal twice on our visit we feel it cheaper to hire a taxi on those occations rather than the increasing cost of hiring a car.

It means the responsibility doesn't fall onto me as I am the only one who will driver over there! :unsure:

Anyway, how does this work in terms of dropping people off. Do they go to the delux resorts first and work the way down?

Or does it depend on the amount of people calling at each resort?

I was also told they will take our luggage to our room rather than us carrying it from the coach. Is this correct?

Any tips or suggestions regarding the Magical Express?

2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Step 1 (US Travelers):
    Once you arrive at the airport, make your way to the Main Concourse, B Bide, on Level 1 (there will be signs from there). Before departure, you should receive a travel booklet in the mail with color-coded luggage tags (based on your resort) and vouchers for each person traveling in your party. Place your tags on your luggage before you depart from home, and once you arrive at MCO, Disney will retrieve your luggage from baggage claim and deliver them right to your room.

Step 1 (International Travelers):
    International Guests flying into Orlando International Airport from another country must follow the U.S. Customs and Border Protection process and claim luggage after disembarking the plane. After completing the process, proceed to the Disney's Magical Express (Main Concourse, B side, Level 1). Disney's Magical Express service will recollect your luggage and deliver it directly to your Walt Disney World hotel room within 4 hours after you check in at the resort.

Step 2 (ALL Travelers):
    Proceed to the Magical Express area (Main Concourse, B Side, Level 1). As you approach they will ask you if you have your vouchers. If so, you will be placed in one of several queues. Each queue goes to 2 or 3 resorts (depending on proximity). For instance, the All Star Sports bus also goes to Coronado Springs (and maybe another, I can't remember). Travel time is about 30 minutes to your resort.

Luggage delivery can take as long as 3-4 hours, so I always suggest carrying important items in your carry-on luggage (inc meds, park tickets, travelers cheques, etc). Also, if you're arriving early and aren't sure if your room will be ready, you might want to toss your swimsuits in your carry-on so you can swim before your luggage arrives if you don't want to head right to a park. When my children were younger, I also carried a change of clothes for them. Please note: Luggage delivery service provided by Disney's Magical Express is available for flights arriving between 5:00 am and 10:00 pm daily. For airport arrivals after 10:00 pm, Guests may collect their luggage at Baggage Claim and transport it with them on the motorcoach.

If for some reason you forget your travel vouchers, they CAN look up your reservation at the DME counter when you arrive. Simply tell them you don't have them and they will direct you.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. Beccaberry

Thought this might help as well:

Magical Express.jpg

4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

That's brilliant, thank you!

I didn't realise they collected your luggage from baggage claim! How nice.

So we can check in a run straight to the parks if we wanted?

Is it the same for the return journey, do they collect bags from the room or do we have to take them to downdown disney?

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm pretty sure the baggage claim thing works differently for folks arriving from outside the US since you will have to clear customs. I know you will have to pick up you own luggage and take it through customs. What happens after that I'm not sure. Perhaps one of our UK folks can elaborate.

6. Beccaberry

Ahh! Good point, USC! Sorry Oreo, I'm speaking solely from my US experience. I'll defer to someone for the UK for international procedure.

7. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Thanks guys!

Makes sence that we need to keep hold of our bags through customs.

I assume the other stuff regarding coach transfers to the hotel would be similar though?

8. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

From what Ive read, after going through immigration you pick your bags, go through customs and then you can either:
    A) take your bags with you on the monoriel to the main terminal and pull them all the way to DME or
    B) place your bags on the baggage carrousel after customs and board the monoriel without them. In this case DME will pick them up from baggage claim on the main terminal. I believe you give your baggage ticket to the check in person at DME so they can pick up your bags.

You could also place them on the baggage carrousel, take the monoriel to the main terminal and then collect them from baggage claim yourself and pull them to DME if you dont want to pull them all the way from customs, but it takes a while for the bags to get sorted and arrive to the baggage claim area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Beccaberry

Yes, once you sort your luggage, the process through DME itself is mainstreamed between US and International travelers, I believe.

Mari, if you don't mind, I'm going to copy and paste the International information you posted into my original response, so that no one reading this thread in the future will be confused.

As other people contribute, perhaps we can continue to add to the original response to make it more complete.

10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Of course I dont mind :)

Im not sure if it works the same for all British flights though, its that way for us since we dont get colored luggage tags before our flights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

You have to pick up your luggage and clear customs then you can put it back on the conveyor belt and head for the ME or you can choose to take it on the monorail to ME check in. We did the latter as we wanted it with us.

On the way back the resort will store your luggage for you and you need to take it on the bus with you and check in with the airport as normal or with virgin holidays you could go to DTD if you wanted. You would need to get a cab there as you're not able to take luggage on Disney busses. Disney won't let you check your baggage at the resort like US passengers. Hope that helps

12. Beccaberry

Edited the original response to be more accurate (and include international information). I also added the following: Luggage delivery service provided by Disney's Magical Express is available for flights arriving between 5:00 am and 10:00 pm daily. For airport arrivals after 10:00 pm, Guests may collect their luggage at Baggage Claim and transport it with them on the motorcoach. Important information for those coming in quite early, or quite late.