1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney's Pleasure Island makeover stalls

Discussion in 'General News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The giant resort said Tuesday that construction of "Hyperion Wharf" — a dockside-themed shopping and dining area that was to replace Pleasure Island and its long-shuttered night clubs — has been delayed indefinitely as it reevaluates plans for the site.

The move comes barely half a year after Disney unveiled the Hyperion Wharf concept. The resort recently demolished some of Pleasure Island's clubs, all of which have been closed since 2008.

"During the course of this site work, we identified opportunities to further refine our master plan and are pausing to evaluate them," Disney wrote in an update to its company-run blog. "What does this mean for you? While we're moving quickly, it will admittedly cause a delay in construction. But we're willing to bet that any delay will be worth the wait once we're able to share details about the exciting work we've been doing."

Disney didn't provide a new timetable for the project. It had previously said an amphitheater-style park would be ready by this summer and that the entire Hyperion Wharf project would be completed by early 2013.

Asked if Hyperion Wharf would still be built at some point, Disney World spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said only "We don't have anything specific to share today, but we look forward to sharing more details in the future."

Though it acknowledged Hyperion Wharf has been delayed, Disney also said Tuesday that it would make some additions elsewhere in its Downtown Disney retail complex. The most notable will be "Splitsville," a 50,000-square-foot bowling alley and entertainment venue that will also include billboards, dining and music.

Disney said construction of the so-called "upscale entertainment center" will begin this fall. It will replace retailer Ridemakerz, which is currently housed in the former Virgin Megastore building in the West Side section of Downtown Disney. Ridemakerz will move to a smaller location in Downtown Disney's Marketplace section.

In addition, Disney said a fashion store dubbed "Apricot Lane Boutique" will open later this summer in store front on Pleasure Island that had previously been occupied by Harley-Davidson. The motorcycle-seller recently moved into a bigger location in Downtown Disney's West Side.

2. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

I hope they meant Billards.

In whatever their new ideas or concepts are, I really hope reopening Adventurer's Club is part of the plan.

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Well spotted :lol:

4. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    What was the ADVENTURERS CLUB as i never went to pleasure island before 2008

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

:lol:

I just don't think they have a good plan, I think that's the problem. They had this idea of yet more family/kid attractions so they shut down all the great stuff like the Adventurer's Club, all of a sudden they see PI start to be deserted and universal city walk packed full of people.

I'm not at all surprised they're having a rethink

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Robert it was the most fun on Pleasure Island. It was just what it's name implies. There was a bar in the center and several rooms off to the sides. One of these rooms was the library where they did several shows/night. There were rooms where the walls talked to you and other things. There was a ritual that you went through every night and the word of the day was Kungaloosh.

7. DisneyFreak

If they want to add more dinning and shopping options I am fine with that but they need something more to draw people there that won't go just for those two options. Why not reopen Adventurer's Club, a comedy club and maybe one or two themed dance clubs? Have a cover for each place if you want (give wrist band to get in) or have a flat cover to get into all for one night.

I know that is somewhat similar to what they had just don't close off the whole island to only paying customers. You can still make it a walk through to the West End.

Disney has some very intelligent people working for them. I don't know why this has become such a problem for them?

8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I honestly think it's because someone said hey pi isnt making enough money, it's only CMs who go there on their nights off, lets make it all family. Without understanding that universal citywalk was improving so much that everyone was starting to go there.

So what they needed to do was the opposite of what they did! They needed to make it MORE PI-like, more things like adventurers, dance clubs etc. not less.

A guy in the office is going out there for his honeymoon and he said where would you stay? I immediately said disney but then he was saying great, whats there to do at night. ummmm hmmmm ummmm well planet hollywood and jellyrolls and erm nothing else? compare that to staying at universal!

9. DisneyFreak

I know when PI was in it's heyday we would go there just about every night during our stay. We would head over to PI after the parks closed and stay for the NYE celebration that they would do every night. Other nights when MK would be open late we would head back there after PI. That was fun!! :buddies: