1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Do I tell bank Im going to america?

Discussion in 'General' started by Disfan, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

Do I need to tell my bank that I will be using my cards over in America? Apparently they could cancel them if I dont? has anyone heard this?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I have heard that, yes. When I travel outside FL I always alert the bank, particularly if going to another country. They ask me for the dates I'll be there.

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have heard this. My daughter went to Europe a couple of years ago and I notified them ahead of time. They *might* have suspended the card due to it being used where it normally isn't.

I was using our card once in FL while my husband was here in VA using his and the bank put a stop to it. Apparently they've never heard of spouses not travelling together :lol:

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We always tell our CC companies that we are going away. It's better to be safe than sorry :yes:

I was particularly pleased with MBNA, I informed them when we were going and when we'd be back and then about 3 weeks after we returned I had a phone call to say that my card had been stopped as a transaction had taken place in America. What had happened was that I'd ordered something online and they thought my card had been cloned because I'd been using it in the UK and suddenly there was a transaction in the USA.

5. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

we did and still had a problem so had to ring the uk from florida we used it alot and apparently your only allowed 10 transactions in 24 hours which then ment it was declineing once we got through to the uk got it sorted quickly

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

It is advisable to tell your bank for sure. For security reasons if you use your card in an unusual transaction [eg when abroad], this raises an alarm bell at the bank.
    It`s worth making that phone call to them for peace of mind and to avoid any embarrassment if you come to use your card in the States and there is a problem.

7. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

When we went to WDW for our honeymoon we used a CC for everything (didn't have any money left after the wedding! :lol:) and after a while our CC were stopped because we were using them so much abroad - it was very embarassing and very inconvenient. Don't tend to use CC's now but if we did I would definitely be informing the company. :yes:

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we always let them know, it doesnt guarantee they will honour all transactions though apparently. Never had a problem though. You can log in and tell barclays online.

always take a contact number for bank cc companies that can be accessed from abroad that way if there are problems you can get through

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I can't tell you how many frustrated visitors from other countries I've seen in shops. Their cards won't work, and they have to get out of line (leaving all purchases behind) and put in a call to the CC company. What a ripping pain in the butt that must be. :(

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

it is!!!! when we were living out there i tried to make a payment with my bank card, they wouldn't let me. I rang the bank when i got home and they said oh yes your card has been used in America. I said to the lady would you like to look at the address you send my statement to!!! :rolleyes008: