1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Do you buy sunpass when you rent a car in orlando?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by disneymom, Feb 26, 2012.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Oh Im a worrier arent I :point:

last time we hired a car out in Orlando we spent a small fortune on toll roads and I started to wonder if I should have said yes to buying a sunpass card from dollar car hire

What do you think? is it worth doing that, are there any savings or is it just for convenience?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`ve never bothered to purchase a Sun Pass as I hardly use the toll roads when I am in the Orlando area.
    Having spent quite a lot in tolls on those times when we have visited the Keys or Vero Beach though, I reckon that I would buy the pass in those circumstances.

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We buy it every time, it takes away the worry if you haven't got any change and it's an un-manned toll :yes:

We tend to use the toll roads as nine times out of 10 they are less congested and quicker.

A friend did look into us buying our own, but I don't think would have worked out for us :unsure:

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

How does it work then? You rent a card from the car place and it has so much prepaid ? Or it racks up the charges and they bill you at the end?

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

It's a transponder that you affix to the windshield of your car Keith. You can fund it in a number of different ways. Either automatically via a credit card when your balance reaches a pre-defined lower limit (set by you), or you can fund it with a credit card online, or pay cash to fund it at various locations around the state. More info here.

Tom :)macwave:... I prefer toll house cookies to toll roads!)

6. Slowhand

I know that the Sunpass is ok for the Turnpike, but is it valid for the 528?

7. catrancher

Yep. :yes:

Works on the 528 (Beachline Expressway) too. Also supposedly saves you 25 cents on the toll from I-4 all the way out to the Banana River. $3.25 cash or $3.00 with SunPass.

BTW - they've also got special rental car programs where you don't actually have to have one of the transponders.

Tom :)macwave:... :drive2:)

8. Slowhand

Thanks Tom :thumbsup:

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Sun Pass and EZ pass are interchangeable (meaning that they both work on all Florida toll roads). EZ Pass is the one that you see posted, so it gets confusing when you don't see postings allowing Sun Pass.

We've searched and I think (stress on think there!) that Herself has finally found a way (buried deep in the requirements and directions) using SUN PASS (not EZ pass) you can purchase your own transponder (about $25) and then activate it through Credit Card use, even though you are not a Florida Resident. Will keep you posted on that, but from what she's learned so far it would take a laptop (or internet access) and the license plate number of the rental car; then you would log on to attach the license plate number to the Sun Pass transponder and off you go (after telling the connection site what the credit card number is and how much you are authorizing at one time). Sounds a bit complicated but for folks who visit often, it really could work out to be a significant savings. :yes:

I'm not sure, but I think that if you "rent" Sun Pass from a car rental place you are overpaying (potentially). With true self owned Sun Pass, the tolls are cheaper than with cash, so keep that in mind.

10. catrancher

That's very true, Tink. At least as far as I know. I "think" the car rental agencies charge you about $6.95/day for the SunPass. If that's so, it's highway robbery!

Tom :)macwave:... :drive2:... again)

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes. You are paying for convenience and that does have some worth.

However, use of a transponder in Florida equals lower tolls, so they are really ripping off the customer with those rates (unless you intend to drive to and from Key West each day). :rolleyes:

12. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

I wouldn't bother, we did go through a sun pass toll once by mistake, we were busy chatting and didn't see it until too late, we went back and the guy said no worries you'll not get charged once but any more than that and you will. However once back home we got charged by the rental car company so we had to pay the toll plus the admin charge for that :(

13. Slowhand

That settles it then!
    I won`t bother with it and pay the tolls as I go along as I have done up to now :yes:

14. Wendy

With the rental cars you don't have a transponder, the rental company has an account and the tolls get charged to it and if you have pre-paid you don't get billed.

If you go through a toll and you haven't pre-paid you get charged for the violation and also an administration fee.

It is expensive, but we like the convenience and we use the 528 a lot :yes: I think we paid about $60 last year :unsure:

15. keith

So basically they're sorta gambling on you not using so many tolls as to go over the "6.95" or whatever a day they charge?

If you do, you win, if you dont, they win ?

16. Wendy

:yes: I would imagine they always win though, we keep saying we are going to work out how much we would spend on tolls but we always forget :lol:

17. keith

I do get it though, not having to worry at all if you went through a toll.

On the way to Berns steakhouse, we turned right off a major road and immediately there was SOME kind of sign about chargeable something or other, we were past it as soon as looking at it. It wasnt a "normal" toll.

I thought hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :/ I wonder if that'll be something that comes back to bite us.

C'est la vie and all that but yeah I can see the point of knowing that it's all taken care of

18. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I wish the SunPass system was set up to work with the other toll programs. I have a Smart Tag here in Virginia and I can use it in DC, WV, NY, NJ, MD, etc. I cannot use it in FL. It would be easier to just take it with me on vacation.

19. Wendy

I vaguely remember something about them becoming intergrated at some point in the future or was that another scheme :unsure:

20. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I certainly hope so! That would make my life so much easier :yes:

I have read that all rental cars are going to have the transponders put in them and that some tolls would be unmanned and you would have to pay the rental car company regardless. I don't like that idea at all. I would like to use the rental car transponder but I don't think it's right to have to pay a per day usage when I wont use it every day.