1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Do you buy sunpass when you rent a car in orlando?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by disneymom, Feb 26, 2012.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

This looks like it's spot on :yes:

The recommended transponder is $25 called the sunpass portable (there seems to be a mini stick on for $4.99 but I guess theyre saying that wont come off so easy).

Then you can top the account up even using cash! now since you can buy the transponders over the counter and top up with cash, that would seem to get over the obstacle that most of these things have for UK visitors (credit card not registered to a US address)

obviously $25 pays for a fair few tolls but worth it I think if either you fancy the rental car company's scheme or go out there a lot and pay a lot of tolls.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I knew it could take cash, but wasn't sure if that were available to visitors. It makes it even better that it is. :yes: The $25 just purchases the transponder. It will require an additional amount to activate it, and provide for toll payment.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I have both Sun Pass and Smart Tag, though, like Johnie I wish they were interchangeable. Unless you are doing a LOT of driving $6.95/day from the rental company is, to me, absurd. When we drive to/from Disney from Northern VA I have a tendency to get off of the I-4 at Sanford and take the 417. Using the Sun Pass I don't have to keep stopping at the toll plazas.

4. keith

yep I think you have to immediately top up with at least $10.

When I said $25 pays for a lot of tolls I was thinking more that if someone were to think about purchasing a unit for $25, they'd have to think well, instead of doing that I could just use the $25 towards the tolls and that may well get them through their entire holiday anyway!

So in a way, the investment is only worth it for someone going back frequently.

I'm definitely pondering it. Although we MOSTLY avoid tolls, it'd be nice not to worry about coins when we dont

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We have thought about buying one, but it was too confusing :lol:

OK, so there is the initial out lay of $25 for the first year, but you would be saving every year after, I think we might look into it again. I guess it depends on how long it takes to register the rental car's registration when you give them the details :unsure: We use the 417 so it's tolls straight away for us.

6. keith

Once you get your device you get an online account and you just go into there and put in the rental car registration.

I guess perhaps they have a phone line too but I dont know

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Hhhmm okay, thanks :)

8. uscwest

Wendy, the $25 is a one time fee. You don't pay it every year. If you put a CC on the account it will automatically add however many $$ you tell it to add whenever your account balance runs low.

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

In Virginia, if you link a credit card to the account, you don't have to pay the fee for the transponder. I have mine set up that way. Does Florida work like that?

10. uscwest

I thought sure I still paid the transponder fee and I definitely have a CC linked.

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

That's the way they market it here in central VA. They want you to link a cc to the account and it will top it off when the account balance gets down to $10. Ok I checked the smart tag site in VA. If you sign up for the automatic replenishment, then they waive the transsponder deposit.

You can use your E-ZPass on all toll roads with specially marked "E-ZPass" lanes. This currently includes roads in Virginia, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.

I wish they'd add Florida

12. GoofyMac

GoofyMac Earning my ears

We just make sure we have quite a few singles. I think there are 4 tolls on the way to Walt Disney World after getting on the Turnpike. We thought about it for a total of a minute. It seems that The State of Florida is taking advantage of the tourist traveling to Walt Disney World.

Goofymac

13. uscwest

However, most of them only take change, not dollar bills. And if you do a lot of traveling on the toll roads, the Sun Pass may be a better deal, especially since you can roll right through some of them either at speed or slowing down.