1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

do you get seasick?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by disneymom, Dec 13, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Id love to try a cruise but am worried about being seasick especially if we can only afford an inside cabin :( how bad does it usually get?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There are varying theories, but we've always been very happy with an inside cabin. On our first cruise we were told mid-ship was the best location, and for us it worked well. Other folks have good luck with a cabin that affords them a view of the horizon.

The bigger the ship, the less you feel the swells. That's a generalization, of course. The calmness of the sea has quite a bit to do with it too.

I've only ever had to take dramamine twice in three cruises (by twice I mean one time-not the entire cruise). The first day of the first cruise I took it to be safe and never had to repeat it. The second time was on a smallish ship and rough seas and again, I took it to be safe. No problems.

3. Tink2

Tink2 Earning my ears

I suffer badly from motion sickness even Goofy's Barnstorming roller coaster makes me feel sick :coaster: so I was really worried about the cruise.

I took the usual meds I take for motion sickness on the flight on the first day and I was fine. The only problem I had was at Castaway Cay, it was a really hot day and I started to feel woosy. I thought I'd got sun stroke but I had something called sea legs, its when your brain thinks your dealing with the motion of ship, even though your not. The first aid guys gave me a sea sick tablet and I was great. To be on the safe side I took another one on the day we left the cruise too.

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

The DCL ships have the most up to date navigation systems [no doubt many of the other cruise lines are equally well equipped also] and they make sure to steer around any really severe weather.
    The DCL ships have stabilisers, which are like 25 foot long wings below the water line which they deploy in rough seas to smooth things out.
    Personally, in all the cruises we have done I have only felt a bit queasy on one night. Unfortunately this was on the first night of our first cruise, but on talking to the crew, this night was the worst that they had experienced themselves so it was understandable.

5. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I would love to do a cruise but I am a nightmare on the ocean. I have made so many journeys across the Irish Sea and been sick every time. There doesnt even have to be any kind of swell but Im gone. Im pathetic really! :anxious:
    I did try again in Florida when I went on the fishing trip in Clearwater. There was no wind, the ocean was smooth and I was laying on a table 'dying' lol! :blech::Everyone was laughing at me. I know I could never do a Disney cruise. I want to so much but it isnt going to happen.

Margaret

6. Tink2

Tink2 Earning my ears

I'd be exactly the same as you, the Irish sea crossing could be like a mill pond and I'd still feel sick (and that would be before we even left the port), I even felt iffy on our Illuminations cruise :eek3: but I was fine on the Disney cruise :yes:

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Donna had the same worries when we went cruising in 2005. Once the ship got out into the deep water it was a smooth sailing however.

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Terry,

If that was the last one, DW and I had the same problem. Heard someone mention (crew or whatever) that it was due to the fact that we were heading from Port Canaveral to Castaway Cay and, as such, were crossing the Gulf Stream at a 90 degree angle.

Tom (keeper of the Dramamine)

9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I remember that night well Tom, however that didn`t make me feel queasy at all. [BTW, I think that it was possibly me who mentioned about crossing the Gulf Stream following my chat with a retired tug boat captain who I bumped into one day at Signals bar...I was only there to do some research you understand! :lol:]
    No the occasion when I did feel a bit out of sorts [although nowhere near as ill as my DW felt :blech:] was on the first night of our very first cruise a few years ago by now.

10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

After this last cruise, Herself had the "sea legs" business for several days. Never thought of taking the dramamine for that. :rolleyes:

The larger the ship, the easier it is on you Mags. Your Irish sea crossings and sea fishing trips are on small boats compared to the huge ships of DCL. :yes:

11. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

The only time I ever felt a bit wobbly on the DCL was the first bit coming out of the channel from Port Canaveral to the ocean. Once we had 'turned right' into the Atlantic I was fine, could barely even feel the ship moving. I suffer badly on the cross channel ferries but was completely OK on the cruise. :yes:

12. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

So it was you who said it! It's actually quite remarkable that I remembered that anyone said it. I find that more and more, I don't seem to be able to remember much of anything. Other than the directions to Signals, Sessions, Diversions and how to order an appropriate adult beverage.

Perhaps that's part of the reason for my memory loss! :laugh2:

Tom (who's at a loss.... again)

:bar: