1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Do You Have Your Photo Taken with the Characters

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The first time we went to WDW, I was a big kid and got an autograph book and lined up to have my photo taken :lol: When I think back now, people must have thought I was mad :lol:

We don't line up like we used to although we do have our favourites that we like to have our photos taken with.

Keith got me thinking when he said in another thread that they don't have their photos taken. If you are a couple do you line up to get your photos taken with characters or if you are a family is it just your children that have their photo taken or do you join in as well :D

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well you know my answer from the other thread :)

We've never lined up in all the years we've been going although we do have some photos with the characters from the odd character dinner at crystal palace etc.

There have been other occasions particularly in the years around 2001 when the parks were so empty that the characters would wander round with no queues. We often used to get a character run over to us and make a fuss, those are some of our very fond memories.

Again years ago, Disney experimented with the character bus which as many of you will remember was a double decker bus on which a load of characters would arrive. We have great shots of that :)

They also experimented with sending the characters to the lobby of the Disney resorts. Anyone remember those days? Again, the interaction was less rushed and a lot more fun

3. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I tend not to but if I ever spot Donald Duck (my hero and a bird with attitude) I would queue up. I hardly ever seem to find him even though I know where he appears, so I guess he's avoiding me. My 23 yr old loves Lilo and Stitch and she likes to get her photo taken with them as well as the Marvel characters at IoA. The only other time I have my photo taken is at the Breakfast buffet at 1900 Park Fare. I do like the Mad Hatter and Alice.

Mags

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Autographs only when grandkids are with us. But pictures with characters, you bet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

You wouldn't catch me walking round with an autograph book now, that was the first and only time I did it :lol:

Do you find you get a look or sigh because you are standing in line and there are children behind you?

I always feel guilty when that happens, on our last trip, a little girl was desperate to get to Goofy and her mum kept pulling her back and saying very loudly that the adults in front were before her and we should ashamed of ourselves as the characters were there for children.

Chris kept turning round and giving them dirty looks, but I stopped him from saying anything.

6. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We've always had our photo taken with the characters, before we had kids, and now we have them. Ah yes, that's cause we're big kids ;)

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I don't get autographs unless I'm sending out postcards for people. I do stand in line for characters. And sadly I have had adults say rude things because there are no small children with us. I ignore it. Some of us weren't lucky enough to go as children.

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I look at it this way. I'm paying good money to go to WDW. What WDW offers is for everyone. So if I want my photo with a character, I'll get my photo with a character. I haven't managed to get mine with the 7 Dwarfs yet and would have loved to have been there with the 3 Little Pigs.

9. Johnie

Agreed John. I don't let it stop me but some people are just really rude :-(

10. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We did before kids and will do after kids! :lol: The characters are what make Disney for me, I try to get as many as I can each trip and I love finding an unusual one! :lol:

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Right now Disney is bringing out the "old characters" a different group per week. This week is was characters from Pinocchio... friends of ours are there and keep sending photos with the old ones. Too cool.

I've never had anyone say anything rude while waiting for a character, but then we don't do that often. Mostly we just walk by. I am NOT a photo person so you couldn't pay me to stand still to take my picture. :eek: :nono:

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Occasionally I will get my photo taken with a character, but usually it's push Caitlin forward. I would ignore the adults, just because they aren't young in their hearts, their loss!

I do remember the bus Keith from about 2002 in Epcot, and they stopped EMH in favour of the characters in the resorts didn't they? Can't say we ever sought them out purposefully.

13. keith

definitely agree John!

14. keith

did they? I thought Extra magic hours came out to replace the extra character ops but I can't really remember I must admit

we were at all star movies at christmas when the characters turned up and I must admit the atmosphere was really great

15. Johnie

They had EMH that you could pay for

16. keith

I remember they had e-ride night at the magic kingdom if that's what you meant? Actually although it was a separately ticketed event, it did offer a very empty park. I think it was limited in terms of guests and was a lot less busy than emh

17. Johnie

Yes that is what I'm referring to.

18. keith

All in all I do love EMH though... never seen the morning one, but love the evening

19. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I'm sure there was a huge hoop de do about the EMH being cancelled, it was in the slow time after 9/11. :shrug1: I do remember the eticket thing though. I think maybe EMH was called something else...early entry or something?

20. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Actually it was in June 2001, remember the disney club too :(

Taken from another site

Upon reading a little newsletter for the Disney Club, I noticed a blurb about Early Entry. It said that on select days, a caravan of characters would visit certain resorts. This was a compromise of some sorts for losing Early Entry days. Here's the article:

"Disney's Character Caravan is one of WDW Resort's newest and most convenient ways to meet everybody's favorite pals. On certain mornings, wonderful Disney Characters appear at participating WDW Resort Hotels. The caravan is a memorible way to start the day as the characters give Guests a warm send off right to their resort.

To give Guests a better chance to meet with Disney characters, this new kind of cherished memory replaces Early Disney Theme Park Entrance (Surprise Mornings) with brand new morning magic--bringing the characters everyone loves right to them.

Disney's Character Caravan is exclusively for Guests at selected WDW Resort Hotels. . ."