1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Do You Still Use a Guidebook

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

When we went the first couple of times to WDW it was before we had a PC :thud: yes those days did exist :lol: and we bought a few different books to read about the parks and the best way to visit. I can remember reading the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World from cover to cover and Chris planning everything to precision, which way to run to get to the popular rides after rope drop things like that :lol:

When I eventually had a PC it opened all sorts of doors for research and I haven't bought a book since, relying totally on the internet and here for any advice or suggestions I need.

Do you still use Disney Guidebooks :D
  2. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I suppose I do. I read them because they're Disney and help me to count down the days. I then use the knowledge and apply it to my holiday.

The biggest tool for me though is places like this. They're invaluable for trips.

I suppose in a way forums are just a more advanced version of a guide booK!
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I use guidebooks for places other than Disney. I like to study them and have a true feel for where I'm going. I use the internet too, but there is something solid about a book, and I can mark it up and bring it with me. :yes:
  4. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

We did get one for our 2011 trip, but I didn't get one for this year. It used to be fun, like you said, to read them cover to cover, but now I find that I get most of my information from the internet. Especially since I can come here and just ask what I need to ask ;)

I don't really see myself getting them anymore :shrug1:
  5. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

I'm writing and getting one made just for our trips! I've just compiled a lot of little factoids and secrets about things that I want to look for and things that I didn't know. That way we can always have it, and we can take it when we have kids, and we can let friends of the family use it if they ever want to.
  6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Used to buy several each trip and devour them. Now I just ask you guys what has changed since I last visited. :lol:

We used the Rough Guide to Cyprus when we visited there though and it was extremely useful.
  7. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

I just got the deluxe passporter and am loving it. I have had lots of different over the years but this one is a little different because it has all of the pages for you to plan you trip on and stuff. Because we are staying at a new resort and fantasyland has opened since our last trip I did find those sections useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I bought one in 2011 but I didn't really use it so I wouldn't buy one again.
  9. Badlydrawnkel

Badlydrawnkel Addicted to Mickey

I have a couple for my first trip to WDW in 44 days ;-). Like someone said, I like to carry it with me and mark it up and highlight etc.

I also did the same for our Disneyland trip and was very useful.

I have been reading lots of forums and sites for tips and hints but I found it very boggling to digest it all. I guess once I've been and experienced it I will understand it more :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

First trip!!!! How exciting!!!
    Yes I completely agree, I actually got a lot more out of my guide books on our second trip rather than first. It is really hard to grasp the scale of things on your first trip. I gave all of our wedding guests (it was a first time trip for all of them) a planning pack and guide book and even with all of the tips and help still missed things. I think the thing that will make or break a first trip is how you deal with not getting something quite right or miss something you want to see, if you smile do something else and just think 'I will catch it next time' you will have an amazing time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I used to but now I usually get the planner packs from DISNEY or visit florida and visit orlando