1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Do you tip mousekeeping?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disnut, Mar 15, 2009.

1. disnut

disnut Imagineer

I think I might be trying to overplan but Im working out how much money we need to take out for each day

Do the mousekeeping people need tipping and if so how much? is it per person or per day?

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I am usually a group of one or two adults. When i stayed by myself I place $2 in an envelope with mousekeeping on it and then laid it on the pillow. i am normally pretty tidy. And since you may have different people doing the room, if you tip, tip daily.

However, here is the key...tipping is NOT mandatory. If you do not wish to tip, then you don't have to. :)

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I do if they go out of their way. So if there are towel animals, special arrangements or anything which has required them to go a bit over the level of normal service. Otherwise I don't

4. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

yep i always leave a tip daily normally between 3-5 dollars also at the end of my holiday if i have loads of loose change i will leave that for them too :yes:

5. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Im a tipper...I tip pretty well..I used to do that sort of work and it is HARD WORK..lemme tell ya...I try to tip 5-7 bucks a day

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Just to be certain you understand that tipping the housekeepers is solely at your discretion! :yes: The housekeepers at WDW get paid a true wage (unlike the servers who do work for tips) and as such a tip is a welcomed extra, not something that their weekly salary/wage is reliant upon.

Having said that, for the most part no, I don't tip. I'm a DVC member so staying at a DVC resort means that my dues have gone to pay for upkeep, and I don't receive daily housekeeping. Therefore, I don't tip.

When staying at another resort (not on points, in other words) I tip only if there has been a reason for the housekeeper to do something outside her or his usual duties. If I have had a meal in the room, or friends in, that sort of thing.

On business trips I never tip as it's not allowed by the company (other than for servers).

On a cruise, I do. Unless the cruise features the flat rate sort of gratuity payment, then I don't tip on a daily basis.

Please know that I think tipping is completely out of hand in the US, so I have a growing aversion to it overall. My stance on the practice is more hard lined than you will find from others. :)

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I used to but I'm not going to anymore, not now I know what I know.

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Yes it is hard work. I've done it with clients. I've learned things that I wish I never knew...ugh.

However, it is not a tipped position. I do not tip.

9. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We tip at Disney because we leave the room upside down. Seriously we are messy on holiday. Just a couple of dollars each day, as an extra thank you for keeping us tidy.

If I was in a hotel just overnight for a business engagement or such then I wouldn't tip because I wouldn't leave the room like the aftermath of a tornado.

10. Tink

Also, last I knew WDW had a policy against housekeeping (and other CMs other than servers and bartenders) accepting tips. :shrug: Just sayin'...

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i don't tend to tip, unless someone has gone out of their way. I usually clean up before they get there anyway lol i have done the work myself so i do know how hard it is but i just don't see the need. :unsure:

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We tend to keep the room clean. I'm messy at home but I am not in public. You should see our tables in restaurants :tongue:

I also get really irritated if the bed linens are dirty and yet they don't bother to change them. I also get annoyed when they leave little signs saying help the environment by hanging up towels and they remove them anyway.

13. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

We tipped big in Mexico because they were low paid there. We tipped the pool lad 1,000 pesos.... he helped us with moving sunshades and made sure we didn't get hit by the sprinklers when they came on... some people had a nasty shock lol halfway through sunbathing, he knew all the spots where not to sit ;) Plus he was working to help his single mum and his lil sister. He kept the pool spotless and no one thought to tip him.

14. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

same here..which normally means I don't

15. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We tip $5.00/day left in a "Mousekeeping" envelope.

16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

No since I've learned that housekeeping gets a regular wage, I haven't .

17. M5ward

M5ward Earning my ears

We are DVC members and as such, we don't get daily cleaning. We get Towel/Trash service on the fourth or fifth day. We usually stay seven nights and leave $20-$25 in an envelope.

18. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

I didnt know that the vacation club didnt offer daily cleaning? what do they do then?

19. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

They do a "trash and tidy" service every few days.
    You can opt to pay for a more frequent service but most members don`t go for this option seeing as in reality the DVC resorts are self catering, just like you were staying in a villa.

20. Tink

If you are staying there on cash (not on member points) they do have daily cleaning, yes? I've not done that so can't confirm, but that's what I thought I'd read somewhere? :unsure: