1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

do you tip people who open cab doors?

Discussion in 'Tickets, Offers and Discounts' started by littleangel, May 31, 2010.

1. littleangel

littleangel Earning my ears

This is something that worried us last time

so we're at a hotel and we call a cab, it comes and someone from the hotel brushes past us and opens the door. They kinda linger there like they want dollars which we didnt have cos we tend to pay on cards

such we be tipping them even when we didnt ask them to help?

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I wouldn't tip them. :shrug:

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You tip them ONLY, and I do mean ONLY if they were the one to get you the cab. Did they call? Did they send a runner? Did they hail the cab (not motion one forward, but actually step out to the curb and hail a passing taxi)?

If no to ALL the above, then nope, no tip. I can open my own door thanks. If you do it for me, a big smile and warm thank you are coming your way, but no green or jingly. :nono:

4. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I am often unsure of who to tip especially if we call say, a decorator or someone to do odd jobs at the villa - I usually call my MC and say ' help - do we need to tip this person'

Sandra

5. Tink

Generally speaking, tipping really should be reserved for servers at full service and buffet restaurants (buffet being a general term, of course. Some buffets you never see a person other than the busser, then a tip isn't necessary).

Hair, nails, massage, those sorts of 'touchy' services (as long as the person doing the service isn't the shop owner) should be tipped. 10% really is sufficient, although they'd like you to believe otherwise.

Of course those cabbies... they need their tips, a little extra if they handle your bags.

There are other positions that may need a tip here and there, but those really are the basics.

I'd not tip a decorator, a service technician (we just had our house washed, and didn't tip the person who did it) a painter, mailman, those sorts of things.

And no, I don't tip housekeeping. :shrug: They get paid a union wage, and no tip is necessary (and not supposed to be done at WDW at all).

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We got this quite a lot this last time at Disney. They've banished all the cabs to the car parks so when we came out, they'd have to whistle for a cab then open the door. It gets costly giving a few dollars every time we leave/arrive and then come back :/

There was even a little friction on a couple of occasions where for example we came out of the resort, guy calls us a cab from car park, we gave him dollars, get in the cab, get to the contemporary, pay the guy + tip, the cab driver goes to let us out and the contemporary staff run up and almost push him out the way to open the door and stand there kinda wanting more money for opening the door ;/

oh and my favourite tip nightmare of the holiday? Planet hollywood at midnight, I went to the loo and yah know, without going into gory details, it's not the largest washroom in the world :lol: and there's some guy standing there watching me. I'm thinking omg what's this about? Am I going to be scored on technique, artistic merit or something???

So I go to turn the tap on and he actually knocked my hand out of the way so he could do it and shouted "NO! me!". I said erm no thanks, I'm fine to wash my own hands, yah know, pretty experienced at the old hand washing thing by now ;-) thanks anyway. So he backs off (a little) then I try and grab a towel and bang, grabs it before I can. Then he holds out his tip tray. I think I might have actually uttered "are you freakin KIDDING ME?!?!"

I mean seriously come on :lol:

7. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

They constantly try to wash your hands in clubs over in Liverpool :sigh: The worst one is a toilet attendant that squirts carex in your hand before you have a chance to say no and then actually puts his hand out for a tip!!!

8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

omg keith thats so funny im killin meself here :lol:

9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I know right? I was scared it was some kind of America's got loo talent or something and I'd get out to see a video up on the huge video screens along with scores
    Technique 4
    Aim 3
    Artistic pattern 8

10. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

:laugh: im not adding to that for fear of being banned :laugh:

what people will do to get tips these days. i think that kind of stuff needs stopping. total over kill isnt it

11. Tink

Sorry Keith but that bathroom one needs to be reported. That's ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

There is an airport bathroom in Charlotte where the attendant rushes to meet you as you are struggling in with your luggage. She shouts that she's reserved your suite JUST THIS WAY... and tries to walk you past empty stalls.

No thanks, I'll take the first availalable and could you tone down the shouting.

No, I don't leave a tip in a bathroom. Gimme a freaking break.