1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Do You Visit Disney Resort Hotels if You Are Not Staying There

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Wendy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I was just wondering how many of you have been to Resort Hotels to have a look round without having a dining reservation.

We stay offsite and the only hotels we have been to are the ones where we have eaten. I always think it's a cheek to just roll up to the gate and say "Please can I have a look round" :lol:

Is it worth going to the different resorts unless of course it is Christmas for the decorations.

2. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

We do this all the time. It's our right as Florida residents. :lol:

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

we used to, not so more these days because we've stayed at most of them now so kinda know what's there.

Sometimes the security people seem to think it's cheeky too :) but I think they're wrong! the more people show interest, the more likely they are to book there.

It's certainly a lot more fun at christmas with the decorations though!

4. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I visited the POLINESIAN and THE GRAND FLORIDIAN year just to have a look around

5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Visiting the resorts is really amazing over the Christmas period as Keith mentioned, and it is also a great idea for WDW "newbies" to get a feel for what Disney is all about.

I keep saying that we must visit Gaylord Palms during the daytime as we have only been there in the evening when we have had dinner there.

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Visiting most of the Deluxe Hotels is extremely simple because it can easily be done while you are visiting either MK, EPCOT, or DHS. For the MK resorts, with the exception of WL just take the monorail and there is no security to deal with. For the EPCOT hotels you can walk or take the boat launch and again there is no security to be dealt with. If you wish to visit any of the other hotels you can take a resort bus. You never get asked for your resort id.

The only one you may have a problem visiting is Shades of Green because I do believe you need to show an id to get on their bus. Although, if you visit while the Golf Courses are open you could say you are going to the golf course and then just walk in and have a look/see at SOG.

8. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well said John! We have only stayed onsite so can't really respond to the OP, but we DO go to the other resorts as John suggested via monorail or by walking out the side gate at Epcot. We have stayed at PORFQ and we visited OKW via two boats. Not sure if it is worth hitting CBR or Allstars but I remember having a nice evening at AK a while back (before we stayed there last time) at Boma, and the kids listened to story time and played drums...it was great.

9. Wendy

We have visited a few of the Deluxe resorts but that's about all.

I just wasn't sure if it was possible as I was thinking more about visiting to go and take some photos of the resort restaurants.

10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The only time it would be an issue is IF you are driving your vehicle and its a party night ( or really busy holiday) and they won't allow you to park there. Otherwise, they will let you in to have a look see.

11. Wendy

Thanks Johnie, we will de driving though and I use valet, so I guess we might have a problem :unsure:

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Not if you valet park. They almost never turn you away then. They are more concerned with people filling up the car parks at resorts and not having spaces for paying guests.

Valet parking is available to anyone wishing to visit, so that should forestall any problems. :yes:

13. Tink

We used to visit other resorts regularly. Now we visit them when we want to have a drink or a snack, or just show someone new the resort itself.

Christmas is of course, the favorite time but many of the resorts are just as interesting to visit other times of the year too. :yes: Wilderness Lodge and AKL come to mind with their museum like touches to the main lobbies. AKL of course has the draw of the savannah, too.

We like all the resorts for one reason or another, and tell the gate security that we are either, going in for a visit, going in to have a bit to eat, or showing our guest what the resort has to offer. We've never been turned away, with the exception of the boardwalk during NYE, or other heavy holiday. There will be signs out, and if we see those, we don't even try to gain entry to the car parks.

14. Wendy

Thank you, so it looks like I might be able to get some menus and photos for Secrets :D

15. Tink

Yep. Remember though that the full service table restaurants are usually not open until 5 pm or so (in the resorts). That might get in your way more than anything.

16. Wendy

Ok thank you :) I might need someone to guide me though :D :wink: