Docking stations...

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Clarkkent, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Well-Known Member

Sign Language Interpreter
    Ello!

Question: does anyone have experience of using a docking station (connected to a monitor) for an apple laptop in lieu of using a desktop computer?

Advice, suggestions, experiences all welcome.

Jeffers is considering an Apple monitor but it's the same price as a bleedin' computer so what's a good alternative?

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I used to use a docking station with a laptop at my former place of work. I really, really liked it. If I were going to do a pseudo desk top again, I'd do a docking station with a big monitor.

3. Clarkkent

Any recommendations then for a specific dock or type of monitor?

4. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    It kinda depends on the type of laptop :/ if it's an apple laptop, that will naturally reduce the options available. Docking stations tend to be more "enterprise" so you find lenovo/toshiba/hp all make them for their laptops but with apple it's a little less obvious.

You can of course just buy a third party docking station for the apples which connect via say thunderbolt to the laptop and provide a static keyboard/mouse monitor connection... they're not as swish as the windows world docks but they work fine

5. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes, mine was a Lenovo (back when they were the workhorses of the office crowd) combined with a huge monitor. Can't remember the name. NEC maybe? I think so. No idea what the docking station was. I was the renegade in the office who requested that set up. Yep, once upon a time, I was a pseudo techy. ;)

6. keith

Home Page:
    ooo yes that IS impressive :yes:

Docking stations made a huge difference

Of course the problem they were trying to solve was having all your data in one place so you could access it from anywhere you were WHILST allowing you to enjoy a desktop large monitor setup when you were at your desk.

Nowadays that problem has gone away largely due to the availability of cloud storage. So with a free dropbox account for example all your docs can sit out there securely and you just use whatever machine you happen to be sitting at, a laptop, a home machine, a work machine, and your data is always there for you.

So I think the need to be on the same machine wherever you are has largely gone.

Of course, if you don't have a work machine/home machine and need to take a laptop everywhere then a good way to connect up at both places is still important :yes:

7. Clarkkent

For us the data issue isn't really a problem. It's more to do with ergonomics. Hunched over a laptop 8 hours a day five days a week isn't conducive to good body posture, this monthly trips to the chiropractor.
    For us the dock and monitor is about having something at a good height and text being large enough that you don't have to hunch forward to read it.
    Ya get me? :)

8. keith

Home Page:
    I do ! :) that was my last line... if your primary machine is a laptop then having a larger monitor, nice keyboard/mouse is very desirable.

The proper docking stations came about because plugging/unplugging cables constantly was not only a pain but caused wear and tear on the sockets so eventually leading to failure.

The mac has an advantage because pretty much everything, display included, can be served by one thunderbolt cable though so its not as bad

9. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Software tester
    John and I use docking stations both at work and at home for our work laptops (Dell). We both have two large monitors, wired external keyboard, and wired mouse. The screen on that laptop is so tiny, I don't know how anyone can use it.