1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Does anyone crochet?

Discussion in 'Arts, Crafts & Scrapbooking' started by Tink, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I have just been given some absolutely beautiful yarn by a co-worker. She knows I crochet and am going to start making prayer shawls for my "clients." It's a lovely celery color and it's silk. So very soft and lush.

If you do crochet or knit, where do you get your yarn? I am branching out into wanting more than the standard acrylic yarn (although that is generally a good serviceable yarn).

Maybe because I live in Florida, I am seeking the silks, and very fine cottons, or other natural fibers/blends. The items made aren't so very heavy then, and not so itchy and warm.

Of course, I would alter my choice of yarn, depending upon what I was making and where the item was going to end up living. :D

I know our Dawn knits, but how about the rest of us here?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I don't knit, but I just wanted to say that your work is beautiful and your clients will love them.

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'm just getting the hang of knitting more than just squares. I find it very cathartic. My mum crochets - it makes her say bad words. :lol:

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

My wife does both crochet and knitting. A lot. No. More than that even.

She gets most of her stuff online at Knit Picks.

I know this because she always asks me for a gift card for the place at Christmas. I always accommodate her.

Tom ( :macwave:... surrounded by balls of yarn!)

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I can't crochet for the life of me and! I know how to knit but I have issues with tension, no happy medium, too tight or too loose!

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

my aunt does crochet. i have bought some fabulous yarn for her from Jo-Ann Fabrics. they have a wide variety, especially online

7. Tink

Ah yes, I remember that your Aunt does. I still have the lovely set she made. I've been to Joann's. I got very lucky a couple of years ago and bought much yarn at a going out of business sale. Then in a fit of misplaced generosity, I gave nearly all of it to a group that crochets for charity. :eek: Well, it was a good idea at the time.

Now, I have to rebuild my stock.

8. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

My mum is a fabulous knitter, she can knit pretty much anything and can turn her hand to crocheting as well.

Me, I can knit wibbly wobbly scarves and blankets. I have in the past crocheted blankets amd even managed to crochet some flowers a while back which I sewed onto a headband for Nancy. She liked it so much that she put it on then took it straight off and never wore it again! Hmmm.

I just remembered I did somehow manage to knit a pair of baby bootees when I was pregnant. I have no idea how I managed to read the pattern!

I have a cousin who lives in California now, she knits and crochets so much I'm pretty sure she even does it in her sleep!

9. mumof2

P.S Tink. that lovely baby pink hat you knitted for Sharon...Mum wears it now and loves it

10. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I forgot to say, my Grandma who just turned 99 still knits for the special care baby unit locally. She really is amazing

mumof2 likes this.
  11. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

My mom crochets, but never had the patience to teach me more than a simple chain. I do needlepoint and cross-stitch...well, I used too. I love the prayer shawl idea, Tink. Lovely.

When my dad was going through chemo and radiation, he would receive a "care package" before each chemo treatment, filled with soft foods, magazines, snacks, etc. And in each one there was always a hand-knit cap. My dad treasures those and shows them off proudly.

12. Tink

Mairead, when your Mother is ready for another cap, let me know. I know that one is special to her, but I'll be honored to make her another should she so choose.

Becca, I've thought of that too, doing caps for those "kits." I surely think I could do both. The trick right now is coming up with nice yarn. I'm pretty fussy. The yarn needs to be soft, and nice... that usually equals the almighty dollar. :sigh:

I've only made shawls and caps/hats for those I know, so far. When you know someone, you can concentrate on them when you create. That's an important factor. You should not be working on the item if you are stressed or upset, either. So, for me to make them for someone I don't truly know would take a bit of different type of concentration.

Since I was a recipient of a prayer shawl at the end of July, made by someone who did not know me, I started to think that it was ok to do that too. That shawl came into my life at a time when I so needed it. I don't much believe in coincidence...

BevW likes this.
  13. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

When you sent me mine, I was completely lost, but being able to wrap it around me helped in ways I can't explain :hug2:

I think it's wonderful that you want to make these for people :hug2:

BevW likes this.
  14. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

My mum tried teaching me countless times how to knit, I was dreadful at it! I wish I persevered with it now, she can't do it cus of arthritis.
    Crochet blankets are beautiful!

15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I haven't ever had the patience to crochet, knit or anything like that.

Those are beautiful gifts for those who need them.

16. mumof2

Tink you are so generous, thank you.

Your thread inspired me to go and raid Mum's yarn stash yesterday and am now starting to crochet a neon coloured blanket for Matthew. It won't be pretty, it's just basic stitches and may take me some time...I didn't specify which year I would have it finished by!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  17. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Better late than never Mairead!! :wink:

mumof2 likes this.
  18. Tink

It will be lovely, Mairead! I think it's very important for babies to have something handmade by a family member, especially Aunties! I'm making a little blanket for my niece's little (soon to be born) boy. :yes:

19. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

I have discovered Lion Brand. I love how soft it is and you can still machine wash. Also Red Heart has something called Boutique Unforgettable. I'm making owls and frog blankets (yes its hard but FUN). I still like the regular Red heart for kids stuff, but for the adults, I'm branching out! I'm also getting fond of knitting! I can only do 2 stitches but it's relaxing.

20. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

Oh there's a website for Knit Picks Chroma Worsted Yarn...it's beautiful stuff. A bit pricey, but BEAUTIFUL