1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Does anyone here make sausage and peppers?

Discussion in 'Other Recipes' started by Shellyamc, May 13, 2010.

1. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Tink - I'm looking at you since we grew up in the same house :D

These things are all lost to my Nana and recipes are one thing, but it is easier to hear from a person how they make them. :yes: We are doing a 60th birthday party for my Dad at the end of the month, so I was thinking sausage and peppers would be a hit.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep, we did grow up in that same house didn't we?

I (we/the family) do make sausage and peppers and in several different ways.

I'll give you the general concepts and you'll take it from there as "we" all do, eh? :D

Using rope sausage and hot (but of course you'll use what your family likes) sausage (I used to like to get it from Vinny's or Flatico's):

Cut it into serving sized pieces. (Depends on how you are serving it, for "sandwiches" or to eat off a plate, where the pieces would be smaller).

Saute until browned and then lower the heat until done. The peppers will be cooking in another pan in olive oil, garlic, and a little oregano, basil and parsley. When they are done, but still have texture (NOT MUSHY ICK ICK ICK :D ) add them to the pan with the sausage for the last few minutes so they all get happy together. Some Aunts added a touch of tomato paste with just a bit of water if needed (usually the pan juices were enough).

Or:

Cut the sausage into serving pieces, cut the peppers into serving pieces (not too small) and roast them all together in the oven with garlic, a touch of olive oil, parsley, oregano, basil. Turn and watch to be sure no one side gets done or overcooked.

My sister actually does hers in a crockpot and suprisingly it comes out nice. I prefer the older methods though.

I have a cousin who does the oven version and puts in potatoes. S'okay, but I like the purist version. :D

Onions of course, can be added, but Mama always said that made it a hot sausage sandwich and not sausage and peppers. :lol:

Hope that helped a bit?

3. Shellyamc

:lol: There was no doubt in my mind at all that you would know!! Someday you and I are going to sit down and look at family pictures :unsure:

Yes, that is just what I needed to know. I was pretty sure that was how my Nana made them (in different pans then put them together), but I just wanted to be sure.

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

mmmm I have one question....when is dinner???

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We do a version of this using Polish Sausage or Kielbasa that we cook in a frying pan with some olive oil, peppers and onions.

6. Tink

What no sauerkraut? :eek: Cannot abide kielbasa without sauerkraut.

Glad to be of help Shellyamc. The separate pan, then combine is my favorite too.

Another "version" is this:

When sausage is not an option (Lent, ect.)

Peppers cleaned and quartered and laid skin side down in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with those ever present herbs... :D (let's all say it together now) oregano, basil and parsley. :D Add a clove or two of garlic if you like.

In a covered baking dish, put enough northern white beans or navy beans to feed the masses. :D Add some finely diced onion (to taste, you know how we are) for one can of beans (the 15 0z or so size) I usually use half an onion depending upon how strong it is. Several cloves of mashed or finely minced garlic. A good drizzle of olive oil (roughly a tablespoon). Cover and bake until bubbling and the onion is done. I usually let it go an hour.

7. Tink

Oh, meant to add, once done the peppers are eaten with bread and the beans out of bowls. These two are not mixed together.

8. Shellyamc

The party is the 22nd, but you let me know and I will have dinner ready anytime!! I'm sure there is something you might like to see here in Upstate NY, right? :D

Dh would like this :yes: I'll have to make it for him.

I seem to remember the dish with the beans as well. When I was little I thought everything was gross, so I didn't start eating these dishes until I was older and some didn't get made anymore:thumbsdown:

9. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

I do it the second way but add the peppersabout 15 -20 minutes later!

10. Lynn_A

Lynn_A Earning my ears

I must have been overlooking this recipes forum. You've got me drooling with some of these recipes.

Tink, I'm getting ready to start the sausage and peppers for dinner this evening and noticed your suggestion of oregano and basil. I will try adding those this evening, because that sounds really good.

11. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I missed it too, somehow.

Oh my gosh, this meal sounds fantastic! I really need to cook this!

12. Tink

Lynne A, hope the addition of the herbs made your dinner extra tasty!