1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Doing Disney Deaf

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by BevW, May 4, 2014.

1. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

Ok, here's my thing...
    The last time we went to WDW I was a full out hearing person. That was in 2011.
    This time when I go, I'll be hearing impaired. Hearing aids, the Ipod looking bluetooth thingy, the whole 9 yards.
    SO, my question is, how many rides get you wet, really wet, soaking wet, or sprinkled on?
    This is for me to make plans and whether or not to unhook, unplug, and take out everything before I get on a ride.
    Also, does anyone know how the accessories for the hearing impaired people work? Like the assistance things....yeah, I'm making so much sense here. I'm excited ok. LOL

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm sure that DeafJeff might be able to help on some of these questions..

3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hello!

I am Deaf too and WDW is really amazing place to be at as they have all rang of equipments for example you can request for RC (Reflection Captions) and this marked on the map as RC. You can hire portable CC controller which required I think $50 deposit. Many places have scripts so you can read during the show. Any attractions with CC symbol use this equipment. It has built in text and it sync with the show automatically.

If you inform the CM that you are Deaf/hearing impaired they are quite good ensuring that you sit at the front etc (for example lion king show)

Fantasmic have reserved area for people who need to read captions for the show and it is the most perfect spot to see the show! Make sure you let the CM know as people usually stand behind the caption projector and it does block the text. So annoying!

There are few rides which involved water but I don't have hearing aid or anything like that so, I guess it might be wise to avoid them or take them off before going on the ride?

Generally most of CM are Deaf aware and know a bit of ASL. If you come across any CM who is not Deaf Aware, report it and it will be dealt with quite quickly with full scale of apology and usually they will ensure that CM will be more aware for the future.

In short, I felt happier as a Deaf person at WDW than I do at home (!)

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Well as a one-sided, part-time hearing aid wearer...

Splash Mountain has the potential for anything from 2 drops to a soaking. The Flying Carpet thing could splash you but not too badly. Pirates could give you the odd sprinkle. Any place you choose to play in the fountains...well you get soaked. :D

Epcot - Maelstrom maybe a drop or two.

Hollywood Studios - Catastrophe Canyon if you're sat on the left is pretty wet. Little Mermaid show mists you with rain.

AK - Kali River Rapids - at least one in every raft gets drenched. :lol:

I think that's it.

BevW likes this.
  5. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

As Dawn said, Kali River Rapids would be first on my list of rides to avoid!

I won't go near it unless all my valuables are safely in ziplock bags.

6. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

We went on Kali River Rapids first thing in the morning this April and DD and myself got absolutely drenched and I mean dripping wet. It was the first ride of the day for us and we had EMH and it was also a bit chilly. I was sooo cold and shivered for the next couple of hours. Next time we go on the rapids I'll make sure it's hot

BevW likes this.
  7. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

Thanks Jeff! I've been to WDW before, many many times, but never really thought of all the wet rides! I'm recently deaf, and my audiologist said I didn't necessarily need to learn ASL as I can still talk anyone's ears off. LOL

I'll play it safe and remove aids before any wet ride then, these aids are too freaking expensive to replace because of anything stupid I do.

Thanks bunches!!

8. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

Dawn! I didn't know you'd lost hearing also! I'm so sorry.
    And yep, we did Kali in 2011, and got DRENCHED!!!! I just couldn't remember any other "might get wet" rides! Gads, I'm getting old.