1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dole Whip and Turkey Leg Shirts Arriving at Disney Parks

Discussion in 'General News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Disney Design Group artist Casey Jones recently spoke about some newly released shirts, some featuring some famous treats.

“I think everyone I know loves a Dole Whip including me,” exclaimed Casey. “That is probably why I’m excited to see the release of [the Dole Whip] shirt. We used the success of the turkey leg shirt released last year as inspiration for a new collection of retro-style shirts.”

dole-whip-shirts.jpg

Besides the awesome Dole Whip, the softlines team also created a shirt based on another Disney Parks favorite – churros. Casey enlisted the help of the talented artist Richard Terpstra to design both shirts.

“Richard has a great eye for retro design,” said Casey. “I let him run with both the Dole Whip and churros designs. He actually created a few different versions of Dole Whip shirts including one that had a tiki drummer. The design for the churros shirt was based off a poster from the Casa de Fritos restaurant that opened in 1955 at Disneyland park. I love how Richard captured a cool retro vibe!”

t-shirts-wdw-and-dl.jpg

Two other shirts were inspired by 1960s newspaper advertisements for Disneyland. These shirts feature specially designed characters that were inspired by the four theme parks found at Walt Disney World Resort and the various themed lands found in Disneyland park. A new Disney favorite word is “friendlyable.” Disney Design Group Artist Doug Strayer and Richard Terpstra assisted with the designs.

Casey also said that a video shown at the D23 Expo last September inspired a new turkey leg shirt.

“There was a video shown at the D23 Expo featuring Tom Staggs, the chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts,” said Casey. “In the video, Tom worked as a cast member in many different roles including someone who sold turkey legs. As he presented the camera with a turkey leg, he said, ‘Nice and juicy.’ We immediately knew we found our tagline.”

turkey-legs.jpg
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Exellent but please make them available in a more flattering v neck!
  3. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Oh, wow! I really want the Dole whip one. :wiggle:
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

If I were still eating the Turkey Legs I might be interested in the shirt. But until they cut WAY back on the sodium and calorie content that isn't going to happen. I don't know why they can't just roast the Turkey Legs instead of filling them with sodium and making them taste like ham.