1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

dollar car rental are rubbish

Discussion in 'General' started by daveann, Nov 7, 2009.

1. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

Not very happy about Dollar car rental and wont be using them again there service sucks................. we had a car included in out holiday package but when we arrived there was noinsurance included which was fine but it was very expensive $400 for a week but we paid it and it had roadside assistance. they sent us to bay A22 but no car there so Dave went back and we got a different bay number the car is very nice chryslar 300t. yesterday when we got in warning low tyer and warning lights going off we headed to downtown disney not very happy about the car but drove slow with the intention of sorting it out later. after visiting epcot and a few places we get back to the car and head along the 192 where there is a dollar rental. the girl says its closing and if i dont feel safe to drive to orlando airport and change the car as she is closing i explain that if i dont feel safe why is she sending me up an interstate if the car isnt safe but she is closing :( so very unhappy i say to Dave i will ring the roadside assistance we have paid for only to be told we dont come out to flat tyers. we havent sort it yet but i can tell you something its 10 years since i have used dollar and it will be another 10 before i try them again there service is rubbish.

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

unfortunately i think this is normal practice now:sorry:

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm sorry but there is NO excuse for that kind of service. Call Dollar, demand to speak to a manager and DON'T take no for an answer. An American renter would in NO WAY put up with that kind of, pardon the expression, ****.

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

John i think it's in the contracts that us Uk people can get now that tyres/windscreens/underneath the car aren't covered. it's more expensive for us to book direct through dollar as i've looked at all the options.

5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

That's crazy.

Budget is a horrible company to deal with as well. I've had two bad experiences with them in Orlando. In fact one was a flat tire and they came and gave us a new car.

6. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Thank goodness I haven't had to rent cars but twice on trips to Florida & both times the cars were fine (tho very small!). I would hate if I had to do this every trip which is one reason we drive instead of fly.

7. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Sorry you had such a bad experience, Ann & Dave . We have rented from Thrifty, which is off airport property and besides not being able to find the place to drop it back off :lol: we didn't have a problem .

8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We have always used Dollar, althought the last couple of years not directly but through USRAC. I so hope they haven't dropped their standards. :unsure:

:fingers: for next month!

9. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

its still not sorted so just taking it easy but the roadside recovery is a waste of money i refuse to go back to the airport taking time away from the holiday but we are keeping a very close eye on it every time we move :(

10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

yeap

we had a not so good experience with Budget las tmonth in Phoenix..

we ended up paying double what the "guaranteed internet rate" was when we booked, we were given a smoking miniature sized SUV (when we had requested full size), the car seat they gave us was semi broken and we could never properly adjust it, and it took them over 2 hours to get us the car, because they were "out" ....

it was a NIGHTMARE

11. premier travel

premier travel Forum Advertiser

Dollar are meant to include roadside assistance included in the package. The dollar you took it to should have changed the car never mind I am just closing.

Unfortunately majority of packages sold in the UK from all the large tour ops insurance is extra. We always explain to customers it is cheaper for us to sell them a car seperately complete with inusrances than take the insurances!

You can purchase this so called typers, windows and underside car insurance now but it is not cheap.

Thrifty is part of Dollar and they are meant to be onsite at MCO now.

Make sure you complain when you get back to the UK.

12. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We had big problems with Dollar :( so much so that after using them everytime we have been before, we will never use them again :(

We booked through USRAC as usual and booked our usual SUV (Grand Cherokee). When we got to the desk we were told that the groups had been changed and what we had ordered was a small SUV (Jeep Liberty or similar). As you know we had been on a flight from hell so we were both tired and fed up. Anyway long story short, the woman eventually got us to pay for something else, we just didn't have the will to argue with her anymore :sigh:

When we got to the rental house, one of the first things Chris did was check the website and he saw that she had lied to us. On top of this I couldn't get into the thing because it was too high and getting out was even harder :lol: We went back the next day, saw the manager and he apologised and changed it for what we should have had in the first place.

A word of warning though, if you don't like Fords, the Manager said that Dollar are changing their fleet to all Fords.

I have no idea who we will go with next year, probably give Alamo a go I expect :unsure: one thing is for sure though I will never use Dollar again.