1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

dollar rate

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Tom Morrow, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Imagineer

just looked at how bad the pound rate is right now not even 1.5 dollars to the pound does anyone know if it'll go up or should I buy now

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Unfortunately with the way the economy is at the moment, no-one really knows what will happen :sigh: There is a chance it could drop a little further but then again it might rise, if you are worried about it dropping further, then you could take the chance and buy now, but then if it does rise you will kick yourself.

The other thing is with all the cost saving that has come into force in the US, the dollar may weaken in the coming months which will be good for people visiting, but no so good for our friends in the US.

My husband always says that for the amount of money we take with us the odd 10 cents here or there doesn't really make that much difference, but I must admit I will wait until hopefully it rises above $1.50 again.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

In truth, I think that's what we have to remember. It's depressing when it's so low but realistically for $1000 or something it doesn't matter enough to worry about

From the US side, we need to see what happens with budgets as always. From the UK side, we need to see if the bank increases interest rates and if they increase quantitive easing measures. If interest rates go up, that may well strengthen the £ but the bank putting lots more money into the economy will lower it. Soooooo REALLY could go either way right now ;(

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I can't see them raising interest rates it's a double edged sword, weren't they talking about negative rates a while ago :unsure:

Agree about more QE that will not be good :sigh:

5. keith

Very definitely a double edged sword but I'm not sure they can avoid it for long tbh.

yeah :( I think they're talking about this next week?

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

If the dollar was higher you'd be paying more somewhere else to be sure, I'd rather it be on luxuries like holidays rather than essentials like mortgage payments that's for sure!

7. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep, unless you intend spending LOADS of money "over there", a few cents up and down makes little difference [that said, I do recall the rate being over $2 to the GBP many years ago, and boy were things cheap in the US to us Brits then. :yes:]

I`m just glad that we opened a US bank account when we bought our villa because as soon as we step off the plane now we think in dollars, irrespective of the exchange rate.

8. keith

yeah that's a trick I'm still missing. Mainly because they charge for bank accounts generally :/ but I really do need to get one opened

9. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

We're going to buy some soon and then get some more closer to the time. That way if it goes up or down it wont matter too much. Hoping it goes up but doubt that will happen.

:wiggle:

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Keith, so long as I keep a minimum amount in my account [not quite sure how much, but it ain`t a fortune :unsure:], I don`t get any charges. :thumbsup:
    It sure is worth considering if you are a regular visitor to the States. :yes:

11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

You mean like 2007? Yeah, we felt it when we were there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

12. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We have an account and don't pay any charges, our account is with Wells fargo

Sandra