1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

News Donald Duck Celebrates 80 years

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Donald Duck recently had his 80th birthday.

He first appeared on the 9th June 1934 in Silly Symphonies The Wise Little Hen. His fiery temper endeared him to audiences, and in the 1940s he took over for Mickey Mouse in a number of cartoons reaching the theaters. Eventually there were 128 Donald Duck cartoons, but he also appeared in a number of others with Mickey Mouse, Goofy and Pluto.

Take a look at Donald's first appearance:

Donald Duck was created by Walt Disney when he heard Clarence Nash doing his "duck" voice while reciting Mary Had a Little Lamb. Disney wanted a character that was more negative than Mickey Mouse, so the bad-tempered Duck was born. Nash voiced the character from 1934 to 1983, training Tony Anselmo to take over. "Donald, I can't understand a word ya say,” Mickey Mouse says.

Walt Disney said of the character: "One of the greatest satisfactions in our work here at the studio is the warm relationship that exists within our cartoon family. Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, and the whole gang have always been a lot of fun to work with. But like many large families, we have a problem child. You’re right, it’s Donald Duck.”

Donald's middle name is Fauntleroy (first revealed in the 1942 film Donald Gets Drafted), and he is reportedly the only major Disney character with an official middle name. He has a twin sister named Dumbella. In the late Thirties, Donald was joined by his girlfriend, Daisy Duck, and his three nephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

Donald is a very popular character and has fans all over the world and to celebrate his birthday Disney Merchandise have released a limited edition pin and a t shirt.

donald-duck-pin.jpg

donald-duck-t-shirt.jpg

Watchinherskip likes this.
  2. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Happy Birthday Mr Duck! :)

3. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Happy birthday

... have a quacking time!

I'll get my coat.

4. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Happy belated Donald. you are still a grumpy old duck, but you are my favourite. :yes:

Mags