1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dream, Wonder, or Magic? Many questions

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by KarleeInWonderland, Sep 18, 2011.

1. KarleeInWonderland

KarleeInWonderland Earning my ears

Hi. :) I was just wondering, if you had to pick your favorite cruise ship, which would it be? The Disney Dream, Wonder, or Magic? Why?

Also, what are some of the best things for a 14 year old to do on the cruise ship? In simpler terms, what do you* love to do on the Disney cruise ships? :minnie::mickeybounce::mickeybounce::mickeybounce:
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There are quite a number of things for teens to do on a DCL cruise. There is a special teens only club, and loads of pool and water sports. You won't be bored at all!

No favorite DCL ship. I'm the sole person on earth who didn't like the Disney cruise. :sorry:
  3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Magic, Magic, Magic! :wiggle:

I'd probably like the Wonder too but we haven't sailed on her. Maybe Alaska one day.

Our last cruise was on the Dream and while it's very nice, it's almost too big for us. It doesn't have the same degree of intimacy that we get on the Magic. Don't misunderstand, the Dream is a beautiful ship and there's some things on it that we liked very much. For instance the Enchanted Garden restaurant on the Dream is the rough equivalent of Parrot Cay on the Magic but is much nicer in our opinion. Specifically the ambience of the restaurant. The food in either is certainly equivalent. But all in all, we prefer the Magic and I imagine we'd feel similar about the Wonder.

Now, what do we like to do? it's only my DW and I so our biggie is just to relax, eat, drink, and be entertained. Certainly not what a 14 year old would be interested in. But, of the many people we've talked to a Disney Cruise who have teenagers with them, the common theme seems to be:

Seriously, the kids have such a good time in the teen specific areas that the parents we've spoken with sometimes seem to wonder if they'll ever see their children again. From the teen's only areas on the ship to the teen's only beach at Castaway Cay, the kids always seem to have a marvelous time.

Anyway, the Magic is our favorite! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)
  4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Really Tink? Would you share some of the reasons?

I can't offer which is my favorite, as we have never sailed on them but they all look great! They have been in the drydock across the street from the museum over th years and they have a classic style.

Now if you think the dream is too big...try the Allure of the Seas! Holds 6350 passengers!:surrender:
    We last cruised on that one this summer and it was freakin awesome!!!!!
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Catrancher summed it up very well and echoed my thoughts too. :thumbsup:

The Dream is truly a fantastic ship, but I agree that maybe it is a bit too big for my liking. Don`t get me wrong, we had a great cruise on the Dream and it has some features that I really wish could be incorporated in the Magic or the Wonder.....larger shopping area, larger theatre with two tier seating, a greater variety of themed bar areas for adults etc.etc. oh and the Aquaduck water slide [although I personally didn`t test this out!]

There is very little difference between the Magic and the Wonder, the only thing that springs to mind being that some of the restaurants have different names. Other than that they are pretty much identical ships.

As catrancher mentioned, there are loads of activities for teenagers to enjoy on board and many of their parents only see their children at mealtimes! Many of the activities for children are supervised by crew members so you know that they are in good hands.
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

'Skip, the first reason was that our cabin wreaked of the stink of sewer. Couldn't do anything about it other than put in an ionizer and it didn't work. Great fun spending as much time as possible out of the suite. :( Herself's mother's cabin had the same problem (it was her 75th birthday celebration cruise). Managed to at least get her cabin changed.

The food was a disappointment. Not terrible, but certainly not on the par with the food we've had on other cruises. Herself was essentially ignored by the servers. If she wanted something, I had to ask for it for her to get it. Too weird.

We did the special brunch... underwhelmed.

We were totally bored. Sorry, but it's true. Either we were inundated with screaming children and blasting music, or relegated to adults only sections that were music-less and boring as all get out. Of course, the bands of marauding teens by night did make things somewhat lively.

Needless to say, for the money we'll stick with the cruise lines we prefer.

It really is all a matter of personal preference. I'm even willing to believe we had a one off cruise, but we aren't willing to give it another go for those sorts of prices.
  7. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Oh sorry to hear about the mess Tink. No fun with that stench in the suite. I guess even with a balcony it was too much. You know I have noticed a trend over the years that the offerings in the complimentary dining have declined in variety and quality on both RCCL and Carnival. DW thinks it is to promote you going to the fee offerings on the ship. So much of your trip depends upon your servers. We have had hit and miss. Mike on our first cruise was awesome. He made recommendations for us, told us what to avoid and treated us fantastically. We had great service on other cruises and so so on other ones. The one from this summer was so so. They were nice but not up to what we have come to know as great.