1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Driving home after your flight!

Discussion in 'General' started by Kate, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Next year when we go to Florida we dont have much of a choice but to drive to the airport and home again. When we have been before we have gone by train and also a minibus as there was alot of us, but this time neither of those are an option. On the way home both dh and i are shattered as neither of us seem to sleep much on the plane so im a little worried about the journey back - how have you all coped with it? did you find it a strain and wouldnt do it again or was it perfectly fine?

Thank you in advance!

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i guess it depends how far you have to drive. I find it really hard and don't think that i would do it again. Dh does sleep on the plane and has to be awake for long periods of time in his job so is used to it and i feel safe with him driving.

If you're worried you could always stop in a cheap hotel and have a sleep before driving. Lots of people do it and they seem ok :unsure:

3. Kate

We have aboout a 2hr drive to get home :unsure:
    A friend of my sister and her husband drove home from gatwick after coming back from florida, the first time they did it they stopped on the way home at a hotel and had a sleep - she said it was awful and they felt dreadful on the drive home, second time they drove straight from the airport and he was fine!

4. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

DH has drove home after the flight - only 40 minutes and has been ok. He won't have any alcohol at all on the flight home.

Got back this morning and I had to drive DH to garage today to collect his new car. I must say I felt a bit tired and weird after not driving for a fortnight.

5. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We have just over a three hour drive back from Manchester airport. After an hour into the journey, DH pulls over at a service station and we both have an hours nap!

6. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I'd see how you feel at the time, just make sure he drinks plenty of water on the plane as dehydration is what usually makes me feel worse after a flight :yes:

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I always fall asleep... even though I sleep on the plane so I wouldn't dare risk it for us... we all sleep in the taxi back.

8. Kate

Thanks everyone! I think im going to look into booking us into somewhere after we have landed, i cant run the risk of driving back - and i know there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of me sleeping on the plane (i am a dreadful flyer!!)

9. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

We have a 6 hour journey home and have always driven it. Its hard but all drivers have a stint at driving. Dh will be doing it this year as he is use to driving during the night. He can sleep any were as well so i guess he will not have an issue in uc.