1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Driving to and from resort/parks

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by foreverducky, Dec 2, 2012.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I was wondering how many of you actually just drive from your resort to the parks? Do you find this advantageous? Quicker? Easier? Or is it more a pain than taking disney buses?

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

While we always have our car, we never use it. :nono:

Strictly the busses and such. Don't know why but for us it's part of the charm of being at Disney. Sure, it can be a pain sometimes. Especially when the parks are opening or closing but for some reason, we still do it. I guess taking the bus makes it seem more like we're on vacation. We have to drive the car all the time at home. While we're at Disney, we just don't.

Tom :)macwave:... a non-busman's holiday so to speak!)

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have always had a car except for a short trip this past June. It is MUCH quicker to drive yourself. You also always get a seat in your car :)

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Mixed really, we have no car this time and have walked onto transportation with no wait. Magic Kingdom is a good one to go to without a car as it can take you 30 mins to get over the lake. Jon likes to have a car though so we usually use that unless we will be having a drink in the evening.

5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We always drive ourselves, I prefer the independence and we do spend a fair amount of time going to and fro different places. That said if I didn't have a car I would be quite content using transport, it has always worked ok for us on the odd occasion we have used it, just takes a little longer.

6. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

It varies for us. If we're up early we often drive as we like to get to the front of the car park and walk, without needing to use the trams. It's really useful when using a buggy as you don't have to put it up and down a gazillion times :D

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Nope. We always use WDW transport. It's just so much easier and gets you much closer to the gates. Especially, Magic Kingdom! Delivery to the gate versus, park, tram in, ferry or monorail, walk to the gate... I'll stick with WDW transport! :yes:

We like to have wine with our dinner, too so if we are dining with WDW we want to take their transportation. No sense in taking chances.

We've never had any real issues, a random few here and there but through the many years, been very happy with the WDW transport system.

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We are another that always have a car. Whether or not we drive to the parks generally depends on our daily plans. Since we do have a tendency to eat at various resorts we normally will drive to whichever resort we are eating at.

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I did miss not getting the ferry over to MK the first morning. Always ferry there, monorail back :lol:

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I always drive to the parks unless we are staying at the GF from where we use the monorail or boat launch to and from the MK.
    As we don`t have to pay to park the car, I find it more convenient as it cuts down the waiting time for the bus and ensures that we can travel in comfort....i.e. sat down! :lol:

11. foreverducky

Thanks everyone for sharing your views. I'm normally all for the disney buses as they take all the worry out of going to and from, but I am thinking of staying at the Epcot resort area and I remember the buses being horrendous there. I've never had a worse bus experience (regarding time) than I did there. Sure I can walk to and from Epcot and DHS, but it seems like you 'pay' for that by having horrible times on the buses to MK and DTD.

I'm not sure where the parking lot is at MK. I don't remember seeing one. :unsure:

12. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Parkings on the other side of the Seven Seas Lagoon. From the parking lot you have to take the tram to the TTC and then either the monorail or the boats to the MK. See the map:

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 11.59.48 AM.jpg

Magic Kingdom is at the top. Parking lots are at the bottom.

Tom :)macwave:... it's a long way, to Tipperary!)

13. foreverducky

Hmmm, that means it still might be wiser to wait for the bus. Bummer.

14. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Billie, we always stay onsite, and have only had a car one time (when we stayed at the Poly). We only used it that time to get to Universal and to Seaworld. Our family prefers to just use the WDW transportation. We kind of pride ourselves on getting where we need to go only using their transportation and our feet!

15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

If I had to pay to park at WDW then I might reconsider not driving. But I either get free parking by staying onsite or with my AP.

MK is the toughest one to navigate. It can surely take forever no matter what way you get there.

16. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Pretty impressed with POFQ busses so far, boat to DTD not so much, boat lands at POFQ but doesn't pick up then goes to POR to drop off and pick up then back to POFQ to pick up, took us an hour to get to DTD last night. It's just round the corner :wink: we got the bus back

17. foreverducky

The buses for the All Stars Music resort were great, so were the ones for Coronado Springs. I had heard horrible things about the buses at the WL, but I didn't have a problem with them.

However, as I mentioned, the bus for the Dolphin was a nightmare. Just always took forever to get one.

18. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Billie, I think if I were to stay at the Dolphin I would either take a boat to Epcot or DHS and then hook up with buses or the monorail. It is sort of like an adventure for us. We loved the transportation at Boardwalk. We would take a boat one to DHS or walk into Epcot and then get the monorail. Can hook up at TTC

19. foreverducky

I actually did that once. I walked through Epcot, caught the monorail, changed at TTC and then landed at MK. :D It was a good option.

20. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You know, I do remember problems with buses when we stayed at Boardwalk Inn Villas. I'd forgotten until you mentioned the Swan. They SHARED a bus! :eek: Here you are paying a small fortune to stay there and the buses are shared between those deluxe resorts and were jammed full of irritated people.

I don't remember problems at BC, but that could be because we are EPCOT fanatics and walk into EPCOT via the IG and would most likely transport from there to other parks. :yes: Of course, we'd walk over to DHS or take the ferry, but again we aren't huge DHS fans so that's not a real issue for us.