1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dubai August this year

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Skywatcher, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Haven't told you about this, but as a last minute thing over the Summer we Carpe'd anothe Diem and bnoooked a last minute trip to Dubai. We had no plans for the summer holidays and had planned on going to the Scilly Isles to see Lisa's sister.

However the cost of accomodation for 6 days for what was essentially a maisonette was going to be more than £3k without even getting to the Island /food /petrol to drive to Penzance etc - and her sister wasn't going to be very free as it was her busy season , so we looked around.

Thomas, as you may remember, is obsessed with skyscrapers and architecture. We went to Paris earlier in the year ( can't remember if I told you that either ) went up the Eiffel tower, the Louvre , Notre Dame etc and had a splendid 2 days ( do tell me and I'll bore you with pics of that as well)

Anyway theone place he has ached to go is Dubai - we had never really thought of going because it is percieved as being 1 very hot and 2 very expensive

But fiddling on t'internet one afternoon I noticed that actually Augist this year was not crazy money at all as 1. its very hot and their low season and 2. It was Ramadan and for some reason that puts some people off. As a result the hotels had a lot of special offers on and we booked a week in the Jumeriah Beach Hotel ( 5*+ ) 1/2 board for half the price of the scilly isles (!!!)

We had saved a ridiculous number of virgin miles over the years since opur last trip so the flights were not bad at all either

So we went

It was probably the best weeks vacation outside of Kenya I have ever been on , that we had all ever been on.

The luxury and pampering was beyond compare
    The foot was absolutely world class
    The people were unbelivably kind and helpful
    Culturally it was a fascinating experience and being Ramadan made it all the more special - hearing the prayers from the mosques at sundown was a very moving experience.
    It was rather warm - 47 degrees and humid but amazing how fast you adapt and we were constantly plied with free lollies and water, the air con was astonishing
    The hotel was the best we have ever been in bar none, huge room bigger than our house footprint and that wasa basic room

The architecture and buildings were astonishing , Thomas nearly fainted when we went up the Burj Khalifa - you have o way of understanding how big that thing is until you go up there - the 'observation deck is' 2/3 of teh way up and you are at cloud level - if you turn and look up at what remains of te building above you it is taller than the Sears Tower - it is also an achingly beautiful structure

Our room looked out over the arabian gulf and we had a lovely view of the Burj Al Arab from the bed (!!) - I swam in the sea around the Burj and the water temperature was 37 degrees mmmm bliss

The Palm and 'the World' are feats of engineering magnificence and we spent a day looking at the aquarium in Atlantis#

Our Hotel had its own water theme park as well!

We had fun watching the Arabs ski in the mall of the emirates and Lisa was over the moon as we found several Cinnabons

pretty perfect holiday all round really and I'd go again in a heartbeat

Dubai land theme park is opening soon and it will be bigger than WDW , by quite some way

Few shots , have more

[​IMG]
    Almost Iftar by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Burj Al Arab at Night by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

this is a pano constructed of 17 separate full shots and the original is massive, you can just see the shadow of the tower on the left

[​IMG]
    Panorama from the Burj Khalifa by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Light smaller by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Sunglow smaller by Sidleydoc, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Night smaller by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

the Fountans were immense at night and shoot jets 250ft into the air - its much bigger than the Bellagio fountain

[​IMG]
    Fountain arc small by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

Oh and for the birders Mynah birds were everywhere !!

[​IMG]
    Untitled by Sidleydoc, on Flickr
    he was sweet too

[​IMG]
    Untitled by Sidleydoc, on Flickr
    This is Lisas shot of our hotel

If apple made hotels....
    [​IMG]
    Jumeriah Beach Hotel by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Good lord! Tall, ain't they? :shocked:

Looks to be quite a place. It's strange, but when I think about that area of the world, all I can picture is sand as far as the eye can see. It's odd to see these huge buildings and a modern city growing up out of there. But with my fear of heights, I ain't going up in any of those things!

I guess I've just led too sheltered a life. :sigh:

And yes, I'd love to see what you've got of Paris! [​IMG]

Tom :)macwave:... sheltered...)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

They know the oil is running out and they have been told by their Prince to embrace tourism or face returning to being pearl fishermen , they have embraced the concept with astonishing gusto.

I have never been anywhere in the world that I have felt so safe walking the streets, seriously. I would be happy for Lisa to walk about there at night alone.

How they have built such things in that heat is just a phenominal achievment

I love the place and will go back one day for sure

It was a thrill flying over Iraq and Iran, landing and then having a full English breakfast :lol:

Talking with the locals who fasted during the hours of daylight ( and that included taking fluids) , made me appreciate the sacrifice they make; it is a month of charity , family and togetherness and to share an Iftar buffet with them was very enriching and humbling - remember this is 47 degree heat!( and thats from a devout atheist)

It is amazing how quickly its gone from sand to one of the most advanced cities in the world

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Dubai is a great place isn`t it?
    We were there for a 5 day trip a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, escpecially having dinner at the Burj al Arab which was amazing.
    Glad you enjoyed it too Chris. :thumbsup:

5. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

wow!

what a wonderful experience!

And honestly, I just find it amazing that you keep finding BRILLIANT ways to make the boys dreams come true :)

Would love to be bored by Paris pics ;)

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Thomas must have been thrilled to bits!!! The photos are beautiful. I love the little bird creature. Tufts are winners. :D