1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Live from Disney! DVC construction from the Polynesian

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by DisneyFreak, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Wow!!!

Incredible price!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

My sentiments entirely Tink. :thumbsup:
    We joined DVC in 1992 when OKW was actually named Conch Flats and we did a tour of the place one day when we were staying at the GF.
    Like you, we went for it straight away and at $ 50 per point PLUS they offered free unlimited park admissions for us until 2000, it was too good an offer to refuse.
    If only we had the foresight to buy more points at the time eh ? :shrug:

Tink likes this.
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I hear people say that all the time, "I wish I'd bought more, or I wish I'd bought sooner"

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Sounds familiar. My parents bought in 1993 and had the admission to the parks until 2000. That was a great a deal. They luckily bought additional points in 1994. I think the point total is 330 or 360.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think what is now OKW used to be called the Disney Vacation Club. I think it was viewed as the only one there would be in the beginning, but the concept has taken off like wildfire, obviously!

Still not so sure what I think about the expansion of DVC. Sometimes I am concerned that it will be too large and then suffer some weird fate... who knows, eh?

Yes, Slowhand, buying more at the time would have been our second best move! :D I remember someone saying to me when we bought in, "Have you LOST YOUR MIND?!" :lol: Nope, but they lost their Time Share. :(

It's so much more than a time share. That's what I love about it, the flexibility and the various other uses. Although, I will say, I've not used our points for much other than DVC, or the odd resort stay here and there. Hoping to reserve a DVC in DL, or at least a resort room with points, in DL this coming December. We'll see.

Beccaberry likes this.
  6. DisneyFreak

You are correct Tink.

We have actually considering buying into DVC within the next couple of years. We are going to see how we enjoy Vero Beach first. By far VB is the cheapest for resale but ironically it has the highest HOA fees at almost $8 per point.

7. Tink

That's because the beach keeps eroding and needs to be rebuilt every so many years. When we first started going to VB (we used to go nearly every summer) the beach was beautiful. A ramp walk way on one side and a set of stairs on the other. The stairs were a little inconvenient because it was quite a big "step" down to the sand. There was real depth to the beach from the dock area to the water.

The last time we were there (maybe 2-3 years ago) the ramp was closed and only the stairs were in use and the bottom stair was covered. The beach was "right there" with no real area to enjoy it. We were astonished.

I've heard that it's a bit better now, but not nearly as large a beach as it used to be. As VB is extremely quiet, the only real reason we went there was to enjoy the beach itself. We really enjoy walking along the shore, but it was pretty hard to do without a beach!

I know you'll visit before you buy. :yes: But do keep that in mind and you may want to ask how many times they've had to rebuild the beach.

8. Tink

Oh, and also they are in a pricey residential area so I think the taxes are killer.

9. DisneyFreak

We are going Memorial Day weekend. I know I just read or saw a video where the beach was redone in 2012 I believe it was. I have found resales for as low as $42 per point. I know Disney has first rights but the sale is on a reputable site and they report that the current prices are right along the lines of market value and not a "steal" in which case Disney would not allow and/or the would buy the points back themselves.

10. Tink

Yep, 2012 rebuild is about right. I know the hurricanes caused serious erosion. $42 isn't too bad, and as you say it's not like it's going to devalue the property. That's the whole RoFR, to make sure the property value doesn't sink. But, as we've all been taught, buy where you want to stay, so if that's your favorite, then go for it!

11. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We would have bought mor epoints if we could afford them!

At the moment I think 150 points ar eenough for our little family. However, in a few years I dont see the 4 of us sleeping in 1 room or the 2 girls having to share a bathroom with us, hahahaha, but we'll figure it out when the time comes. For the time being, we will just enjoy our points and studio accomodations :)

Beccaberry likes this.
  12. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I have been going to Disney scince 1981 and my wife always said we should buy a villa and now I wish we had

13. Tink

Mari, same here. It's always that pesky money that gets in the way.

Robert :hug2:

14. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    The houses cost a lot less than what we could buy in the uk but I was not one who could take a gamble

15. Tink

Then you shouldn't. If it doesn't feel right to you, or good for you, then you shouldn't go against those feelings. Any time I have, I've been sorry.