1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

DVC question..

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Shellyamc, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Is this where it goes? I wasn't really sure :unsure:

Ok..so this is just me getting some BASIC information just for kicks ;) You know how it is :lol:

Now I have seen on other sites that you need to take the points you need @ $14 each and then you add on the $500 ish closing costs and the $900 ish yearly fees. So that gives me a number.

Now if I got to the actual Disney DVC site it gives an example for cost and it tells me that 160 points = a $24,000 base price. :unsure: Obviously I am way off somewhere. Wouldn't that make it around $150.00 per point?:surrender:

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep, the going rate is $150 per point.
    Thank heavens we became members back in 1992 when it was only $ 50 per point.

3. Shellyamc

Ahhhh I see!! I should have going to the actual Disney site to begin with. Thanks!! :hug2:

It would be hard choice anyway seeing you can only buy into Bay Lake and AK.

I think I'll go start mowing lawns now..:lol:

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

You now also have the option to buy into the Grand Floridian.
    We went over to have a look at the models for this a couple of weeks ago and the accommodation is amazing.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Also, remember your points are good at any DVC, not just your home resort. Our home resort is OKW, but we stay wherever we choose (based on availability, of course).

The time of year, type of accommodation and place you choose to stay all drive the points you need. It is always more "points cost effective" to stay at your home resort, but that isn't what you'll always want to do.

Essentially, what you are doing is buying a hedge against yearly increasing costs of Disney lodging.

Now, you can buy resale, without going through Disney and you just may get a contract that totals less per point cost than $150. :yes: Disney has right of first refusal though on any contract, so they don't allow the resale cost of points to drop too low.

Also, "I've heard" that if you are serious, and tell Disney, I'll take XX number of points but I only want it at OKW (or some other sold out place) you could just get lucky. Of course, I think then you have to have the money up front. :eek:

6. Shellyamc

We have friends who did the resale and they got an amazing deal for a good amount of points for OKW. They love it, but it always made me a bit nervous. I know there are limits on where they can go that buying direct from Disney doesn't have. Honestly though looking at the points we would need - WOW! I might have to take a second look into resale ;)

7. Tink

Something must have changed about resale then, because it used to be there was absolutely no difference between resale and buying directly through Disney with the exception of financing. Disney offers (offered?) financing, and of course you couldn't use their favorable rates for a resale purchase.

8. Shellyamc

They paid far less than what Disney charges. I'm thinking they paid around $13,000 for the 160-ish points that they got. I don't remember the numbers exactly. I know that it wasn't for the full 50 years, that it was more like 46.

9. Tink

Well! That would be well worth it even if you could only ever stay at OKW! :eek: That's a serious difference in price. :yes:

10. Shellyamc

I was thinking the same thing! At first I was put off and I really wanted to go through Disney to get all the perks and such, but looking at the amount of points we would need and the size room we would need makes me want to run and hide. I realize it will pay for itself over time, but I don't know if I can talk myself into paying close or more than $100,000 for the DVC :unsure:

11. Tink

Yeah, I absolutely could not do that. I guess if you added up vacation costs over the next 50 years, it would come out to that (eesh!) but so what?

I'd definitely go with the resale because you are going to start out needed a two bedroom villa. :yes: That's a chunk of points to use each trip. It used to be that if you planned on going to WDW once every three years, then DVC made sense for you. I don't know the break even/cost factor values any more. We toyed with buying more points but they got so darned expensive we backed off. Like Terry, we are grateful that we bought in when we did.

DVC still makes good sense, especially for families. You have the full kitchen, the full laundry room, that fancy bathroom. :D Privacy is so nice on a vacation too. If you can do a resale DVC, then by all means do it. I'd go with OKW mostly because it has the largest villas. Kidani is really nice though too. I'm not a fan at all of Boardwalk Villas, so can't recommend there. BC, and WLV are nice too. :yes: BLT is really nice, but not as great for larger families. The storage in those little places is not very adequate (think NYC high rise, ultra modern. LOVE IT, but it's not roomy or spacious at all). Haven't seen GF other than the construction, so it will be neat to see that one soon. Oh, and SSR is nice enough, but it's just kind of "blah" if you know what I mean? :unsure: Anyway, just go to Saratoga Springs on your way to Lake George! :lol:

Not sure why Disney expanded the DVC so much, but it doesn't seem to be hurting them at all. You'd think that it would put a damper on resort room rentals but that's definitely not the case.

Anyway, we love our DVC even now when we are only 20 minutes away! :redface:

12. Shellyamc

Well I was able to get some actual information from Disney. Hard to do since all they want you to do is chat on the phone so they can give you the hard sell ;) Looks like for us it would average around $45-50k. That is more like what we where thinking. It is still very expensive, but if you take that + the yearly fees it will come to around 100k for 50 years. If you add up what our trip is costing this year (with one infant and 2 children) and add that up for 25 trips over the next 50 years it would come to around $175k. So still a deal. That doesn't factor in the prices going up every year and the baby turning 3 and the kids moving up to an adult pass 1 by 1. So all in all with everything getting more expensive each year, I still think it will work out in our favor.

I did look into a few different resale sites and it looks like points are going for around $77 each. So this is possible as well :yes:

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Losing another client :-(

14. Tink

$77 a point is pretty good! Beats the daylights out of the $150 per point. I honestly don't know how they sell them at that price. :eek: No matter how much I liked a concept, I couldn't afford that kind of money.

15. Shellyamc

HA!! You can't get rid of me that easy. I promise we don't have 50k laying around ;)

16. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Weve been thinking about buying dvc since 2009.

Since then we have taken 2 trips and are about to take 2 more! We will look around the GFV models... We never toured BLT, but love the location!!!! So GFV could be an option for us... We shall see.

I have read about resale being cheaper, but being outside the US it just seems like too much if a hassle for me, plus, its only cheaper if you have the money right there to pay cash.

The interest rates Disney offers might be very high in the US, but are the rates you would pay in Mexico for a car lease or a mortgage, not that Im comparing since they are very different purchases, but, to us, they dont look "scary". We have also come to the realisation that we are not a saving family, we always find something to spend money on, so having it charged month to month works for us.

All in all, either we take the plunge this year or we walk away for good, since waiting another 4-5 years for another DVC to be built means paying out of pocket for 2-4 more trips when we could have spent that money on a membership!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Shellyamc

I was thinking the same thing. If we are going to do this, I really want to do it soon while the kids are still small :yes:

We have friends who looked into joining around 5 years ago. The Hubby said no, they wouldn't use it and since that year they have gone at least once every single year. It would have either paid for itself by now, or been really close to doing so. I don't want to end up in that place!

18. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Yeap!

This exactly!

And we do think we could get at least 10 years of use and decided afterward if we want to keep it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I do not want to get rid of you!!