1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

earache and sickness on flights

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Disfan, May 1, 2010.

1. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

I feel stupid but I get really bad earache on the flight to florida and sometimes just feel sick for no reason. With the restrictions now I cant even go to the bathroom every time I need to :(

Are there any over the counter medications that can help with these problems?

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I'd see your doc and get some stemetil or something similar for sickness and a steroid nasal spray like flixonase or beconase - both of which you can buy itc can help with the ear problem but i'd start usuing them a couple of weeks before you go

3. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

forgive my ignorance, but why can't you visit the bathroom?

i've suffered the terrible presure earache a couple of times and the pain was horrendous, i feel for you :hug2:

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i suffer real bad ear ache but only when decending to land, i just suck a few sweets. then when on the gound i just pinch my nose and blow to pop them gently, seems to work.

if you mean you cant go to the loo when you suffer, is that when landing? if so. just explain to the cabin staff and ask for a sick bag

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I think the restrictions on movements 1 hour before landing have been lifted. DH had no problem flying into Chicago last month anyway. There are some fantastic travel sickness pastilles you can get from boots -they're strawberry flavour. I gave them to my daughter last year and she was fine, before hand she would always be sick on landing. Not fun. For your ears- i have problems with my ears and the spray works very well, i also have chewing gum which helps. Yawning also helps.

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I love earplanes. They work great with keep the pressure on track. I don't fly without them.

7. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Me too - used then for the first time last year on take off and landing after an extremely bad experience on the previous flight and they were great, no ear problems at all :yes:

8. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I just make sure I keep swallowing whenever I feel a change in pressure - especially during take-off and landing.

As for sickness, it's nothing I suffer with but my sister has it bad. Last trip, I bought her some anti-sickness wrist straps that have a rubber button than exerts a little pressure on your wrists. They worked a treat, she's never not been sick on a flight before, this was her first time!

I'll try and dig up a link...

9. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

They're called acustraps and are only £3.50 each. I don't know if I'd be breaking a forum rule by posting the link, but if you PM me, I'd be happy to let you know where I got them.

10. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I often feel sick on landing - I think it's as the plane is banking

Thankfully, I've not actually been sick but I keep the bag on me as it's a close call :blech:

Sandra

11. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

I've been told that taking decongestant tablets is a good way to prevent earache. Take one the day before flying, one on the day and one the day after.

12. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

i only feel sick if i sit in the middle row of the 'plane. Either side and i'm fine :unsure:

as for the ears, it's interesting to see the decongestant idea.

i tried everything you're supposed to try, sucking sweets, chewing gum, yawning, holding my nose and trying to pop my ears....nothing worked. the pain was almost unbearable so thank goodness i only had it a couple of times.

13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

yep!

14. Clare-Swindlehurst

Clare-Swindlehurst Earning my ears

I used to suffer from terrible pains in my ears when landing - to the point I'd be in tears. Then I discovered the Earplanes ear plugs and now I'm pretty much pain free. I put them in before take off and keep them in until we're at cruising altitude. Then put them back in just before we start to descend and leave them in until we're in immigration. They are a bit funny to get used to at first but so much better than the agony I suffered before.

I've also heard that having a hopii candle treatment a few days can help as it draws the wax from your ears to reduce the problems.