1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Early December or christmas/new year?

Discussion in 'General' started by keith, Jan 2, 2011.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We've been lucky enough to go to Disney in Early December for many years now. I LOVE the decorations, the weather is a bit cooler for me which is brilliant, although this year was silly cold :lol: and the crowds have historically been more manageable.

I keep reading Issy's trip reports though and thinking new year there would be wonderful! I thought about it this year but the flights were so expensive that I gave up on the idea.

I'm back thinking about it now.

Yep, I know the crowds in the parks would be silly but we don't do many main stream rides given we've been so often so that wouldnt unduly worry us.

I'd love to be in a park on NYE although the MK v EPCOT argument would be a hard one to resolve :/

What other pluses/minuses should I be pondering on? Has anyone else been there over christmas/new year??

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You must do New Year's (and Christmas) at least once. :yes: With some pre-planning and wide open eyes (knowing what you are going to deal with) you will have a wonderful time.

I honestly have to say that there isn't much nicer than standing in the UK at 6:00 pm and ringing in the new year! That begins the evening and you can carry on through midnight if you wish or move to something else (a lovely peaceful meal at one of the restaurants?)...

I think the perfect New Year's celebration would include the UK timing and then a beautiful dinner at Bistro. :yes: You'd be in the park, yet out of the utter chaos, with a view of it! :D

It was stupid cold this year, and that detracts from the fun, but it's not that way each year. It's a matter of pure luck; the weather.

I know it's expensive to fly and to stay, but yes, yes, YES!!!! You MUST do Christmas through New Year's if only once. :yes: (the 23rd or so through the 3rd or 4th would be great). :yes:

So then? Shall we begin looking for accommodation for you and the Mrs? :D

3. keith

really?? would restaurants be open so late??

ooo I LOVE that idea!

I THINK if I book nowish, it isn't *stupidly* expensive versus the rest of the year which in 2011 seems just crazy price wise at the moment anyway

I'm extremely tempted :yes: I don't know if a villa for a week or two followed by an onsite would be the way to go or what :/

4. Tink

If you are going to do a villa you are going to have to bite the bullet and drive. :hug2: There really is no help for it. A villa would allow you to stay longer.

Onsite for NYE would be almost a must though. You can enjoy everything that way and not worry about driving (let me tell you the police are out in FULL force NYE... ).

I don't know how long the restaurants stay open on NYE (in WDW) but booking the last seating would provide you with a later in the evening option (if you didn't want to stay in the park). I still think the Bistro (time it for Illuminations??? :D ) would be beautiful. :yes:

5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Im sooooo jealous! I must admit celebrating NY using UK time is a good idea!

6. Tink

You can make a bit of a fun game of it... going round the world showcase and trying to time it to match the country's "New year." Doesn't work for all of them, but it's fun to try. :yes:

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

We used to always go on the day after Christmas and stay through New Years. Gave it up as a bad job when we found out we never had the right clothes packed for the weather. All that notwithstanding, we used to do Disney/MGM Studios on New Years eve. Silly crowded. Shoulder to shoulder standing room only. But when midnight came on New York Avenue, and the sky lit up with fireworks with confetti raining down, it was unbelievable.

All that said, you've absolutely GOT to do New Year's Eve at WDW!

Tom :)macwave:... celebrant!)

8. keith

That's the thing, it sounds like a have to try it at least ONCE kinda thing!

On the villa driving thing. OK I give up :lol: I'll drive, it's really not that much of a problem especially with GPS.

BUT let me just try this argument :lol: we get cabs at the moment at least 7 or 8 days out of 14 from whatever disney resort we stay at! Say we were at a villa for a week out of two, the cab from a villa, depending where it was, would probably be LESS than from disney? And if we get a cab every day, no different from being at disney?

I'm so so so tempted to click book :/ I cant get the thought of new years eve at EPCOT out of my mind

9. Tink

Keith. Rent a car and be done with it Man! :lol: Now. Press book and be ready for an adventure of a lifetime.

They rent Jags, ya' know. ;)

10. keith

:lol: ok ok I know you're right I really do :)

well that'd take some of the sting out of it I guess :tongue: although I'm on holiday, so really it should be an Aston Martin or something

11. Tink

Maserati? Testarosa? :D

12. Deafjeff

What have you decided Keith?

13. keith

my finger is poised over a "cheapie" all star movies 16/17nighter over christmas/new year

14. Deafjeff

Would you be happy to share 'rough' costings with us?

BTW have send you PM....

15. keith

Well three weeks over christmas/new year in all star movies which yah know, I DO like for the atmosphere but isn't *REALLY* me in some other ways :lol:, with virgin economy (see above :lol: ), car hire (pah!) circa £2750 all in.

Now I wanted desperately to book over 2010 christmas but when I was costing it, it was coming up at over double what it cost us for the start of December so I just couldn't get my brain to contemplate it but tbh, given all of this year seems expensive :/ *that* price doesn't seem to bad to me.

My negatives.... all stars is a great atmosphere but basic. Then again, I'm kinda not up for paying for three weeks at the grand floridian either! Given the time we're around the resort actually DOING anything there, I'd rather save the money and spend it elsewhere. (I still have thoughts of buying a week at a villa somewhere to try it out and perhaps it would inspire me to stay at a villa completely for the next trip!)

Virgin economy is awful. I tried hard, and managed, to sleep through most of it the last time we went on economy so ok plus apparently virgin at getting new planes for Manchester-Orlando, A330-300 I think, which could make it better or worse depending on their chosen seat pitch configuration in the new ones. So I can cope I guess.

Car hire included is basic tin box with inadequate insurance. It's "free" so I clicked it but if I decide to drive I'll either need to upgrade the insurance or book with a different company anyway for the whole car hire thing.

None of these are show stoppers, they're just considerations. The main thing is, once I've braved the flight, after hopefully having had a breakfast at the new vroom in manchester, I'll have three weeks in Orlando over christmas with my long and hugely anticipated NYE at EPCOT!

I'm a couple of days behind on PMs sorry :sorry: but I'll get there I promise :yes:

16. Deafjeff

Is the price for per person?

17. keith

Thankfully no that's for both of us all in. I suspect I may be able to save a bit more if I could get the frequent virgin discount or something but I'm not sure because I know you can't have two discounts and I think that price already has some level of discount in it. So depends which is greater.

18. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

If you are staying onsite why are you thinking of hiring a car? Just wondering! Is it for ease, visiting other places outside of WDW or just cus?!

19. keith

Well as much as we love the ability to catch a bus and get around Disney, and I don't see that changing, we are finding that we want to go offsite to restaurants, malls etc. more and more each time.

The last few times we've been we've spent more money on cabs than anything else in fact! Often more money to get to and from a restaurant than the bill AT the restaurant.

Now that's ok, it's a holiday and we're fine with it, but I feel that we should at least try a drive to see how good/bad it is. Having been to the florida mall so many times by cab for example, I kinda feel I could get there in my sleep :lol:

There's also the thought that if we found it ok driving, we'd be in a much better position to stay at one of the wonderful villas for some of the time.

20. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Decisions, decisions :yes:

I just heard on LBC today that the dollar is going to improve for us Brits this year and lots of people will be looking to holiday in the USA becaus eof it.

I just took a booking for next Christmas tonight :)

Sandra