1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Easter - is it so busy as to be worthless going?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Skywatcher, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

:mental: :mental:

Not to hijack the thread, but I just realized if I can convince Jon to go to EPCOT on our Port of Call day in two weeks, we could actually ENJOY this! OOOOH!!

Britchick likes this.
  2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

make it next year and you can stalk me :D

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

That is very good planning, just tell him it's there's a mini Food and Wine Festival so it's a taste of what's to come later in the year :D

4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well guess no one would really mind, but there are a lot of events at the resorts. Know you may not be staying on site, but there was a huge Easter egg hunt at PORFQ.

5. Beccaberry

Careful what you say Mr. Skywatcher...just ask Adrian :)

6. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We were there for Easter 2012, it was CRAZY. Most parks were filled to capacity on every single day.
    Now, having said that, we were able to do everything, go on all our favorite rides and have a wonderful time.

I think when you go when its busy you just have to be willing to plan more, and be a bit more flexible. In our case, it really helped to know beforehand which way we would tour the park, which rides were essential and which ones we wouldnt mind skipping. We also booked ALL meals, because we didnt want to spend 45mins in line to get a hot dog, or waiting for character autographs so many character meals were included. We also knew which shows we wanted to watch (parades, fireworks, etc..) and put them down in our schedule. We alternated between going to the parks early on some days and arriving after midday and staying until closing on anothers. We did find that staying until the parks closed worked better for us, less crowds, most rides open, no heat and no sun, and since we had strollers, we didnt mind the girls falling asleep on the way out...

So all in all, we had a great time, and I think the longest line we did was 40mins. We did use a lot of fastpasses, and Im not sure how things will change once the fastpass+ is fully implemented. The one time we also gave up was going to dinner at Raglan Road. It took us 40 minutes to get from the marketplace bus stop to Raglan Road, the crowds were MASSIVE, and even with an ADR, it took them over 35mins to give us a table.

Skywatcher and Beccaberry like this.
  7. Mari

as for, whats going on.. its the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. The topiaries are nice to look at, but its not something I would plan a trip for. However, Ive read they will have more food stands this year, so, sort of like the Food & Wine Festival in the autumn.

8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Careful. She's good.

Tony G likes this.
  9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We've been at Easter before. It is busy but then again it is always busy now. No more slow times. Just have a plan, know that you have been before and will go again and enjoy the moment. Def make those ADR's at 180 days though

10. Skywatcher

Will it likely be busy the whole two weeks or predominantly the Easter weekend ? The nice thing about staying on site for 2 weeks is that we can duck in and out if it all gets too much.
    The only problem with the ADRs is that we all have those days when you go to the park and after 20 minutes it's obvious no one is up to it and it's better just to go back and relax. Don't want to be held to ransom by a dinner reservation.
    Hmm tbh I'm a bit torn don't want Ben overwhelmed by CRAZY busy :/

11. Mari

How old will Ben be?

I assume he naps, does he nap in the stroller?

Natalia was 20months during that trip. Her taking naps in the stroller was a lifesaver for us, that and character meals. I know they limit you, but it is also great that even in a sea of people, you KNOW you have a 1.5 hour break, sitting down, having a nice meal, in an air conditioned room, all while the characters are coming to your table.

We also found that staying onsite, on the monoriel made things easier with kids. We planned most of our days at MK and Epcot, and the monoriel meant we could take the strollers and didnt even have to fold them, so it was easy to come and go. Also, if you dont feel like having many ADRs, if you stay in a villa, and are on the monoriel, you can go back to your resort fairly easily whnever you feel like it, and eat there.

Last year we went during the summer with a 9mo, an 11mo and an 18mo ... the best parks for them proved to be MK and Epcot, and going in the mornings and spending the evening at the pool, or having a late breakfast, and getting to the park midday proved to be the best ideas

Skywatcher likes this.
  12. Beccaberry

Can't agree with this enough. It's a wonderful way to break up the day when you have small children. It's the perfect time for them to rest and recharge without getting restless. If you're concerned about being held ransom, book meals that don't require a credit card hold. Or, book your meal early in the day (11am lunch perhaps?) and then book your FP+ for AFTER your meal and arrive at the park a bit later (just in time for your ADR). That way if the whole day falls apart, you've had your meal and you're only losing out on the rides (which you could perhaps do another day).

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Typically in the southern states children get out for Spring Break the week before Easter or the week after Easter, so yes, I would expect the week before and after Easter to be very busy.

14. Skywatcher

Ok well we'll be there the week after Easter and the week after that. Great advice so far guys. Thank you x

15. Beccaberry

So then, where are you thinking of staying? Or have you already said, and I've not been paying attention?

16. Skywatcher

We looked at AK villas, Wilderness villas or possibly temporary tower rooms as these all sleep 5 and give us a bit more space whist still being on property. Rang Disney about them and they said they only get released 6 months prior to dates as DVC get first dibs on them. However she also said there would almost certainly be avaliability.
    Yes they are expensive but this is the final carpe diem holiday of its kind

Beccaberry likes this.
  17. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

I think that would be an awesome trip to any of those destinations! We LOVED AK! Beautiful resort, with the added bonus of seeing the Savanah.

18. Mari

Check out Becca's post on renting DVC points. I hink it might be cheaper, and you can get the reservation where you want it 11 months out :)

Beccaberry likes this.
  19. Beccaberry

Yeah, definitely might at least be worth looking into...though if you get a deal (as I believe Julie was mentioning) it may not be the best option. Never hurts to try though!

20. Skywatcher

Hmm , all very interesting. Thank you all for your input. Just read through the thread with Lisa and Mari's tips are especially helpful.

Any idea why there are no quiet times now? Last time we went they were shutting areas of hotels and postponing the building of new hotels as they were having difficulty filling rooms.

Needs some thinking about to be sure and Ben at 2 coming up 3 does put a whole new perspective on things compared to a trip with just the older boys.

Thomas would really like to do Busch gardens as he is a major coaster freak, do they do a fast pass/unlimited ticket type thing. I know the universal one is crazy expensive but it may be the only way to do the coasters that he wants to do and do as many times as he wants as well, and let's face it when you are paying many many thousands of pounds to get there you want to be able to do what you went for. I think the main attraction not covered by the ultimate fast pass is the Harry potter ride.
    Went to Alton towers a few months ago and their baby swap system was fantastic - basically you queued up as normal and when you got to the front of the queue the stamped your card which then turned it into a fast pass that let your partner on almost instantly. They also let you take on one of the kids as well which meant Thomas got to ride the smiler twice in 30 minutes and didn't have to queue for 2 hours again.

To be honest we are 80% sure we are going to do this trip at the moment! there are other options but it is disney world after all.