EPCOT Late Night Live - street party

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Reports and Itineraries' started by keith, Nov 7, 2014.

1. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    I signed up for the epcot late night live party without really knowing what it was :/ but what the heck. Only live once and all that.

Originally I had it planned for Tuesday but Disney phoned and for some reason couldnt do tue after all so had to move it to thursday. Not ideal after a day of doing the backstage tour but we went with it anyway.

It costs about $79 a person and you DONT need additional park access. It takes place between the UK pavilion and the shops at the front of the world showcase and starts at 9:45pm.

You checkin at the front of the park and are given a lanyard with a special badge which has 6 tabs on it. 5 for any food or drink item at the booths, and the final one for a special glow cup drink.

View attachment 18579

After the fireworks, everything "pretends" to close. Covers on the tills, stands close and CMs try to get rid of everyone not wearing a lanyard. It works surprisingly well and by 945 there was a sense that only the party goers remained in the area.

945 hit and music starts. Not normal Disney music, but a weird sort of techno-funk and on come the dancers. Hard to explain the dancers really. Weird scifi dressed with coloured whip things ( I know ! ) that made patterns along the floor as they danced through the crowds to the music. It was..... weird but oddly hypnotic.

Then a DJ started up and a dance floor was quickly established down by the UK followed by a really great acoustic guitar area closer to the shops at the front.

All the food booths quickly reopened and you could get any item of food or drink in exchange for one tab from the lanyard.

So whisky samplers for $15 fine, $12.50 glasses of champagne, no problem. Le cellier had its cheese soup, filet of beef and so on. I could perhaps have done with some more choices but again, I'm fussy.

The glow cube drinks were dragonberry and very nice indeed. hic!

After a while, everyone really got into it and there were just the right number of people for it to feel like a street party.

One strange thing, I've never seen so many disney CMs around. Security VERY VERY visible all round, all the time and then other CMs at every turn. I've never seen an event so "policed" and it felt a little like Disney were saying "ok we know we have to compete with universal but we're scared". At times I saw people dancing a bit... enthusiastically and being spoken to by security. I dont know if they were asked to calm it down but that's what it felt like and in all honesty, Disney, give it up :/ Either have the party for adults and let go or don't.

Anyway it was really enjoyable and the walk back through an empty EPCOT was worth the price alone. I'm not talking a few people around, when we left, I wandered outside spaceship earth, didn't see another soul for 15 mins. It was *empty*.

I'll probably not get another chance to do this party since it's a food/wine thing and we dont normally come at this time of year, but I'd encourage Disney to do a similar event at other times! They could easily open a few food booths or whatever.... they really do need to commit though, no one really wants a party with their mum&dad hanging around ;-)

Attached Files:

2. Britchick

Britchick Active Member

That sounds quite good value, did you get to enter the park earlier than 9.45?

3. keith

Home Page:
    Well we had annual passes as well so we didn't test the theory but the ticket for live says it allows you to enter 9pm or later

4. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    That sounds nice it should be on when I am there next year when did you leave the park

5. keith

Home Page:
    sometime after midnight.... it was definitely an experience!

6. deedee73

deedee73 Member

Sounds awesome. Might have to keep that in mind for our 2016 trip. Babysitter for the little one & the adults could enjoy the evening. I'm glad to hear that u had such a good time especially after the days were changed up on you.

7. robertcraig

retired
    I definatlely must do this in 2015

8. robertcraig

retired
    When and how did you book this