1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Epcot's Segway Tour

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by gwennie81, May 13, 2010.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Oh dear :thumbsdown: thank you so much for trying....:hug2:

i was hoping to arrange this as a surprise but looks like may need to consult with my DH first before going ahead :unsure:

I think I will book via guest service and see what's what.

Normally they are quite good sigh.....
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The more I think about it, the more I question what she said.

So, using their premise, if a Japanese visitor wanted to do the tour, but could not speak or read English (which is NOT your case) they could not do the tour? A German visitor, ect.

The barrier here is false. I'm not going to get shrieky, (too late, I know) but things like this really bother me. MUCH.
  3. Deafjeff

:yes: it can get quite depressing sometime sigh.....

Hopefully the guest service can be helpful........
  4. Tink

I remember learning from my ASL instructor, a university educated born deaf woman, that the discrimination is subtle and constant. I hate, hate, hate that she continues to be right. :(
  5. Deafjeff

Sadly it no different over this side of the pond at times....
  6. Tink

7. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

WOWZA!! I did not even think about the language barrier! I think that it may be difficult to sign and give a tour on a Segway, though. The instances when the tour guide was giving us information we were stationary but it is still kind of necessary to use your hands to stabilize the Segway so...it may be a challenge to conduct a tour for the hearing impared. I'm sorry that Disney is unwilling to find some way to accommodate someone that is willing to go on the tour!
  8. Tink

The instruction portion could easily be done. Then, when on the tour, the guide or the interpreter (they wouldn't have to be one in the same) could easily, when they are all stopped, sign anything that needs to be communicated. People drive, sign and communicate.

It's the unwillingness to understand the nuances and respect the beauty of the deaf culture that has me really cranked here. :( They are not evidencing a true understanding of the abilities of a deaf person, where for example, sight is highly evolved. A deaf person (statistically significant) will show the ability to "notice" many more things in a given scenario than a hearing person.

Heck, it was a deaf co-worker who kept me from being run down in a factory. We were coming down a staircase and the loudness of the factory sounds kept me from hearing anything other than that (loud engine noise). She stopped dead at the entry to a cross corridor. When I asked her what she was doing, she peeked around the corner, and there was a forklift coming. I'd never have stopped like that. Relying on hearing I would have stepped right out in front of the lift. Because she could not "hear" she used her vision to protect herself. Also, she may have been feeling different vibrations in the flooring from the oncoming lift...

Things like that...

Anyway, I'm ranting now, and that never does any good. I'm just disgusted with WDW. I'v always thought that they did a pretty good job of inclusion and now I'm embarrassed to find they don't do just a great job after all. :(