1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

explain gratuities?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by MonorailMick, May 1, 2010.

1. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

omg he said most customers wouldnt see it or care, thats disgraceful from a manager. id have walked too keith. its not a case of being tight, its a case of tipping for the service given, not being charged it before you even sit at the table

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We had excellent service once at the Garden Grill and left a big tip and the server came out and threw our change at us. Why? Because we were told that as a party of 8 the gratuity would already be added on to the bill. But it wasn't and we didn't notice so instead of us upping the tip we actually only tipped a little bit. Who's fault? The server for not adding the gratuity or us for not checking? Bit of both I guess. But did we deserve to have our money thrown back at us? :shrug:

3. ukwdwnut

you have to be on your toes or be a steven hawking these days just to eat out and not be ripped off

4. ukwdwnut

another case of disgusting behaviour, very sad!!

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I agree with you whole heartedly Keith. The LAST thing I want to do is discuss anything unpleasant when I'm out for dinner. We go out to RELAX not to have to haggle over money. :(

The TIW. :sigh: We didn't even renew this year. :shrug: With the falling off quality of food, and the essentially poor service, we decided not too.

Then, of course there are incredible servers like Ricardo at YSH. He won't LET YOU add more to the automatic gratuity for the TIW! We learned that fast and made sure to have cash with us to add extra for him. He's that good. And it's that rare that there are servers like that at Disney anymore. :(

It's definitely not just Disney though. Many, many other restaurants pull that automatic gratuity.

The whole towncar thing was disgusting. There is no way that was right. It was a stinking greedy act on the part of that particular company.

Sir Randolph is the company we work with now. They add the gratuity to the cost of their fee, and that's it! One flat fee nothing more expected. They arrive when they say, and do a great job. They got us all from OKW to the port and back without incident and that was saying something. They were even flexible enough to split the return trip to one van to OKW and the other to Herself's Mother's house. :yes:

Good service, good price and we'll use them again.

6. Tink

That's the key right there.

Dawn, that is completely unacceptable. Completely. THAT's an incident that would cause the manager to be called over. Period.

It did happen to friends of mine in a non-Disney restaurant too, though. They figured the tip wrong and the server threw the money at them. Threw it. Hit her! NOT acceptable.

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's all so problematic :( we went to the brown derby at the studios once and we waited AGES to get a table. When we did, the server was doing that thing they do where they're chatting to their friends even though they're half talking to us. Every now and again she'd turn round again to us, smile would disappear and she'd ask what we wanted.

I ordered a steak, DW a chicken. Well the steak came, no sign of the chicken. 15mins later still nothing. Server comes over "are you enjoying your meals?" Well DUH try FINDING the meal first?

So then she goes gets the chicken, dumps it down and storms off. It was stone cold. So we call her back and she puts her hand on the chicken to see if it's cold (like we'd eat it after someones put their hands all over it?) :/ and says "thats warm and thats the way it's served".

Of course sent it back to get another one but now my steak has been on the table for half an hour. Anyway the whole experience was just utterly rubbish.

Came to the end and explained how rubbish and that we wouldn't be giving a tip. She immediately went and brought a manager, I explained it to the manager who said "well you can't say the quality of the food was the servers fault"

I mean ARHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!! and of course that's the excepted thing in the states. If the food is rubbish but it's brought on time then the server expects 20% but for me, I'm tipping on the whole experience.

It really is ARGHSOME

8. Tink

I HATE when a manager argues.

"This is not a debate. I'm telling you why I am not leaving a tip." Ugh.

9. ukwdwnut

keith....so did you eat the food, did DW eat hers after the server touched it. and did you tip in the end

10. keith

We once booked citricos several months out. Arrived and it was shut!!! The lady at the table between v&a and citricos said something like "oh well it'll be the food court for you tonight" ERM *slap* :slap:

Anyway another lady from v&a came out to talk to us and recognised us from our fairly frequent v&a visits. She couldnt believe it, said, quite abruptly, to the woman behind the citricos desk, "I will be dealing with this thank you." and took us aside. She ended up calling the duty manager at the GF to complain, she insisted that our cab fare was paid both ways, and then she called narcoosees to get us a table.

Well I could just about hear narcoosees saying it was too late and the v&a lady said two ways we can do this, I can send the guests down there on their own and you can make sure they get a table or I can come down there with the manager and restaurants manager. Your choice.

On my way out, I thanked her very much and did the old shake her hand, give her a $50 bill thing, because she'd been *THAT* good and I was staggeringly in awe of her service AND she'd gone some way to restoring my faith. She stuck the bill back in my suit pocket, gave me a hug and said this is what I love doing, helping guests. Then she ran back into v&a before I could argue.

Anyway needless to say we got a table. I mean it was narcoosees so it was absolutely rubbish :lol: but still.

11. keith

Well of course it was a complete waste of time. The chicken came back overcooked, as it would sigh, and we couldnt be sure it was a fresh one not just the manhandled old one heated up so no one wanted to eat that. My steak had been languishing on the table so I didn't fancy that.

So no we didn't eat anything, sadly I did pay the bill :( I'm not proud of it but we had places to be and didn't want to sour the day any more. No tip was left no and I left a quick comment card something like "Chicken as cold as the server's attitude and with about as much life. Manager should start practising the line 'What drink would you like with your happy meal?' since I have no doubt she's just a few short weeks away from a hat with a large M on it. Never again!'

12. ukwdwnut

hmmmmm im thinking do i really want to eat at any of these venues now, i thought eating at a disney ressy was the top of the tops for dining, im not s sure now, seems like you'd get better service at BK's :lol:

13. keith

Disney Dining hasbn't been top of the tops for many years now Mick, certainly not since the dining plan and frankly even before that it was getting pretty ropey.

The unfortunate thing is, we talk so much about the negatives because they're so prevalent these days, but the great experiences and great CMs are TRULY wonderful still. It's just much harder to find them nowadays

14. ukwdwnut

oh you chicken for paying the bill :slap:

terrible service tho. yikes!!!

one way of making sure its a fresh one. tell them to leave that one on the table and get me a fresh one, then you can take it away ;)

15. keith

yeah I mean the thought did occur but it's all just degrading the relationship, such as it was, between us and the server yah know? Now we're saying we don't trust them, which of course we didn't :lol:. A good server would have offered that as a solution anyway and said "ok now, seriously my apologies and I've taken that off the bill, let's start fresh and see if we can rescue the experience for you shall we? here's a complimentary drink for you both"

16. ukwdwnut

that really suprises me that its been on a slippery slope for so long....i can understand standards slipping because of the DP, but is it honestly free, no one gives you anything for free

i can understand that tho its our nature to bring to the front about the bad things that happen. i mean im no gourmet diner in any sense of the word but i will always let them know if i enjoyed the meal or not. i think the best steak ive ever had was at an american steahhouse called simply blues down here the fillet was to die for mmmmmmmmmm

17. ukwdwnut

thats how it should be, rescue the situation. make the experience a good one so you visit again and again

18. keith

Certainly not free there is indeed a cost to the dining plan and when you work it out, it often doesn't work out as particularly good value nowadays. When they offer a free dining plan, it's usually instead of a discount to the room rate so one way or another you're paying for it yep.

The problem isn't the cost or "free", it's that it's been so wildly successfull with people who like to feel everythings paid for up front, that the restaurants are completely packed out nearly 100% of the time! That along with an almost guaranteed gratuity system means that food is no longer lovingly prepared, it's heated, thrown at a server who throws it at the customer and moves on.

There *ARE* exceptions there really are both to the quality of food and to the quality of service, it's just that you have to work to find them now. 10 years ago things were oh so very different

19. ukwdwnut

success isnt always a good thing for some things then is it :(

so if i were to dine at a disney ressy where would you recommend?

i know YSH and ricardo is a good one if you get him as a server obviously

20. keith

Well the problem is lack of consistency :/ a good place one day can be awful the next :(

I really like v&a though expensive of course, california grill, YSH, scifi diner for the atmosphere :), artist point