1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

explain how the cruise dining works?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by disneymom, Dec 13, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I understand that you rotate round the different restaurants and will be paired up with strangers for the meals but that theres a special restaurant we could pay to go to where this doesnt happen?

What happens if we dont get on with our dining partners
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've only ever been on cruises where you can choose to be seated alone, so can't help much.

On a Disney cruise you do rotate through the dining rooms. Palo is the one where you pay extra and are seated by yourselves.

If you don't get on with your table mates, I would imagine you could ask to be changed. I'm sure it happens.

There are several folks here who have cruised with DCL so you will have some good info once they log on. Our Slowhand, in particular has cruised with DCL and will be a big help to you. :yes:
  3. Tink2

Tink2 Earning my ears

We did our first Disney cruise last summer and we're now hooked. There are three restaurants and if your are on a three night cruise you have dinner in a different one each night. If you're on a 4 night or longer cruise you visit each restaurant once and some of them more than once depending on the length of your cruise. The good thing is that your serving team stays with you in each restaurant so they get to know what you like.

There is an adults only restaurant called Palo which you have to book either on line or when you first get on the ship. We've not dined there but I know people who have and they really enjoy the experience.

As for tables, both our children have autism so it wasn't an option for us to share with another family and we were given a table for the 4 of us. You can request a table to yourself but it's rare to get one, Disney tend to match you to your table mates so if you are a family with small kids they'll put you with another family with small kids. Likewise couples without kids tend to be seated together. In the unlikely event you didn't get on with your table mates you could always dine in your stateroom.
  4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

This was a originally a cause for concern for my DW and I as we don`t have any children.
    If you don`t feel comfortable with your dining partners, you can ask to be moved to a different table. Having said that, remember that this could be embarrassing for you as you are bound to bump into your original table mates at some time during your cruise, so get your excuses at the ready!

In all our cruises, we have had fantastic dining partners and made some really good friends with them, still keeping in touch after several years.
    [I`ve even persuaded a few of our dining partners to become members of this site! eg Catrancher :thumbsup:]

As has been mentioned, there is also an adults only restaurant on board [Palo] where you can dine alone and this is well worth the surcharge [$15 pp] for one night if only for the experience.
    If my memory serves me well though, you are restricted regarding how many nights you can dine there.

If you opt for dining alone in your stateroom, remember that you will miss out on the DCL dining experience including the night when the "show" takes place in Animator`s Pallette", and this is certainly not to be missed.

Personally I wouldn`t worry at all about the aspect of having dining partners with whom you cannot relate to. The odds are that it won`t happen and remember that the other folks at your table will be equally apprehensive.
  5. thescubamom

thescubamom Earning my ears

We'll be a family of 6, so would we be paired with another family? How large are the tables and are they round or long narrow ones?
  6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

You'd be paired (as much as possible) with others in your same general category. For instance, on the cruise where my DW and I met Mr. and Mrs. Slowhand, there were three adult couples at our table. On other cruises we've been on, they generally seem to try to keep people with children together and people traveling without children together. At least as much as possible.

Tables are rectangular, square and round in the three main restaurants. And the largest table I can remember was a seating for eight. So with six of you traveling together, you "may" end up with a table to yourselves.

We've never had dining partners on our Disney cruises that were intolerable. Some were better than others. Some were outstanding. Witness Mr. and Mrs. Slowhand who we're still close friends with.

Like Slowhand mentioned, there's an adults only restaurant called Palo. They serve a brunch (not to be missed) as well as dinner. But it's reservations only and if you want to do it, you need to try to get reservations online as soon as they become available for you. If that fails, don't worry too much. Just when you get to the cruise terminal and are allowed to board, make your way as quickly as possible to "Rockin Bar D" on deck 3 forward (on the Magic) or "Wave Bands" also on deck 3 forward (on the Wonder) and they'll be setup to make Palo reservations.

Beyond that, if you want a more casual dining experience, there's Topsider's buffet on the Disney Magic and the Beach Blanket Buffet on the Wonder. There's also "Pluto's Dog House", "Pinnochio's Pizzeria" and "Goofy's Galley" for quick snacks or a more casual dining experience.

I really wouldn't worry too much about my dining partners. I've met some of my best friends there! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... rats! Now I need to go on another cruise!)
  7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

One thing I forgot to mention. You really only have your dining partners at your table with you at dinner. Breakfast and lunch are both served in any of the restaurants you'd like to dine in. You may or may not be seated with anyone else during those meals. But it won't necessarily be your normal dining partners unless you've made arrangements to meet them there for breakfast or lunch. If that's the case, then you've probably made some new friends!

Tom :)macwave:... self appointed Assistant Cruise Director)
  8. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We are a family of four and we had a table for four that was in an area of other tables of four, either side of us (and under the same servers) were two other famillies with kids of about the same age as ours, the tables were very close - enough to chat - but we still felt like we had our own table, best of both worlds :thumbsup: this was the same arrangement in each of the three restaurants.