1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Explain the annual pass algorithm to me

Discussion in 'Tickets, Offers and Discounts' started by Dawn, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

OK we're going in August for 14 days. Expecting to spend probably 9 or 10 max at Disney. Need to do Sea World and KSC but not fussed about Universal. Oh and shopping.

OK 9 Disney days. These will probably be involving hopping around, leaving at lunchtime and coming back, definitely at least 1 water park. We're off site so will need to pay parking.

Is it worth buying annual passes. Or even just 1 annual pass to get the parking perk. We're not interested in dining discounts because most of our full service dining will be off site.

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

A basic annual pass will cover the 4 major parks with all the park hopping included. You get free parking at the 4 parks as well. There are some discounts to be had using the AP. Example, 10% off in the World of Disney store. You can also usually get resort discounts as well.

And yes, only one pass is needed to get the free parking. It might be beneficial to get one AP.

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

remember the annual pass holder will then have to pay to get into the water park if you just get the basic AP

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I believe you'd only need a child's AP to get the benefits that go along with the AP. That's the way it used to be anyway. Steven, being still under 9 would be a good candidate for AP holder! :D

It used to be that the break even point for an AP was 8 days in the parks. Not sure what it is now with the higher costs.

5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

The touble is with the break even part for UK people is we have the options of the ultimate tickets (7/14 or 21 day) which work out very good value so need to be considered when pricing up against an AP.

We have decided on 3 21 day ultimates for DH, DS and DD and an annual pass for me so we can get the TIW card and the other discounts. I am only getting ther basic AP as I definitely won't be going anywhere near a water park in August! I will be in WOD saving my 10% while the other three are frying :D

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yeah, see? I don't know a thing about the available passes for the UK folk. I've had an AP for so long I don't know much about tickets for US folk either! :sorry:

7. lisaw

The ultimate tickets are:

14 day - £234 adults and £199 for children

21 day - £249 adults and £219 for children

Annual passes are:

Basic - $499.49 adults and $440.91 for children (roughly £362/£319 at todays rate)

Premium - $637.94 adults and $562.94 children (roughly £462/£408 at todays rate)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  8. Dawn

What about the 7 day pass and just pay on the gate at water parks?

What's the AP price in sterling please?

Getting you to do all my work for me. :D

9. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Without actually number crunching, I'm guessing an AP won't be all that beneficial, Dawn. I think parking is $12 per day at the parks. If you aren't interested in the other perks or using it for room discounts, break-even essentially would be the cost of the pass you would purchase for your visit plus parking. If everyone else in the family would have water parks included in their tickets, you would have to add that back into the cost of the AP v. other ticket plus parking.

10. Dawn

Yeah I'm guessing it's not worth buying one. There's no chance of us returning within the year anyway.

11. lisaw

I've edited the post to put the £ cost in at todays rate. :)