1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Family of 5 looking for the right accomodation for traveling with an 11 month old.

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by liriel, Aug 29, 2009.

1. liriel

liriel Earning my ears

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on accomodations for our family of 5 at Disney World. We are going in Jan 2010 and have 3 kids, 11 mos, 4 and 8. We want a place with a little sleeping privacy so our daughter can nap without interruption. I was looking at the ASMu suites and the FW cabins in particular as options. Does anyone know how they are first hand and if they would work for us.

Julie
  2. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

I'm sorry i'm not much help as i've not stayed on-site before, but didn't want to miss the opportunity to welcome you to Secrets :wave:
  3. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

and i can't help you either Julie, but wanted to say hello too! :wave:
  4. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Haven't stayed in either, but I think both have their pros and cons.

With the age of your young ones, I would be concerned that the sleeping facilities for them in the ASMu family suites would be in the main room, which has the exterior door. That may not be an issue for you--some children are fine staying inside, others always seem to want to see what is going on beyond their walls! :lol: It certainly would be convenient to put the youngest child down for naps in the separate bedroom, though. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking the FW cabins have bunk beds and a queen bed in the bedroom, and the sofa opens into an additional bed. Still not an ideal situation, but it might work a little better. The separate bedroom also would be convenient for naps for the youngest.

You know you family best, and how the young ones would react to the layouts. That probably will be the key to your final decision.
  5. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Does it have to be Disney onsite accommodation?

There's a lot more options available if you stay offsite.
  6. liriel

liriel Earning my ears

Yes we prefer on-site, so we don't have to drive into the parks and can hop back to our hotel easily mid-day.
  7. woodsluvdis

woodsluvdis Earning my ears

We are a family of 5 and have stayed at POR with the trundle bed/two rooms at CBR/ASM suites/FW cabins....we all love the cabins the best...we are going back Dec 5-11 and once again the cabins won...I even tried to talk them into the Poly/Beach Club....no go...they love FT. Wilderness....I will let you know we always rent a golf club(off site..much cheaper) .. and for value ... the cabins are great...having the room where you can let younger children nap is fantastic....also a full size kitchen is great...we did purchase the QSDP this time...the nice quiet deck is great for early morning coffee ... you can't go wrong....we have never had a bus issue either....you can boat to MK even....also you can walk over to the WL lodge....breathtaking....just my thoughts.....
  8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

How about DVC accommodation? :unsure:
  9. liriel

liriel Earning my ears

We thought about FT. Wilderness, but my dad and step-mom are coming and want their own room, so they want to stay at someplace that we can have adjoining rooms.

As for DVC I would love to stay in one, but we have an infant and it would be too far to go to the cheaper DVCs wiht her, plus we can't afford one of the more expensive close to parks places like the beach club or boardwalk villas. It looks like we are leaning towards the CBR for the pirate rooms. I am just hoping its not too cramped with the pack and play.
  10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Old Key West has excellent bus service to all the parks, a ferry to DTD, and a nice walking path to DTD. They are the largest DVC villas on property, and you could get a two bedroom lock out and that would allow your parents to have their own private entry.

The closet in the master bedroom is truly large enough to nicely fit a pack n' play and allow a child to nap during the day without being disturbed.

I'd check into one of those.

There are the tree house villas now too, that sleep 9, and that might be perfect for you.

Fort Wilderness Cabins are nice, and our Ieuan has stayed in them before and was well pleased.

With the group you have, I'd strongly recommend having accommodation where you can have some amount of privacy. :yes:
  11. liriel

liriel Earning my ears

We finally decided to go for a DVC 2 bed villa. My dad and step-mom are coming along with us to to help with the baby and help us with the cost of the room. We got a reservation at Kidani Village. I am so excited about this. I love animal kingdom, and it will be great to be only 5 min from one of the parks. Now I hope I can get my boys to like it too. My eldest hated it when he was 4 but he is 8 now so he may have a different opinion. My 4 yr old is the polar opposite of his brother so he may love it too!