1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Trip Report Fantastic dinner package 2013 - mama melrose

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by keith, Jan 4, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Thought I should write this one for future browsing.. and I think I've just about calmed down enough to recall it (it happened a good three weeks ago :lol: )

We've done fantasmic for years. It's not our fave show but we feel like we should do it at least once each year so this December I tried to get a reservation. Everything had gone except for Mama melrose on one day of our trip so that's what I booked.

For those who haven't been there, Mama melrose is a faux italian at the back of the studios. It's as busy as all the other restaurants and isn't the largest place. It's considered mid-tier price wise.

So we arrive and waited 30mins past our reservation time to get seated. Everyone was getting antsy and people kept going up to the podium demanding to be seated but we said nothing like good polite guests. Finally we were led to the table.

The table was one of the usual tiny Disney tables for 2. I'm not a huge fan of these, there often isn't enough space for all the settings and often they rush away things to make room for the next course etc. but ok fine.

The server didn't come over for another 20 mins but she was mega busy so yah know, OK.

Finally came over and delivered a speech about how the fantasmic package had one starter and main from the menu and the dessert was fixed. Hmmmm dessert fixed? never used to be!

Looked at the menu and jeez :/ I could just tell that it had all been scaled down so that they were pumping out cheaper courses than they used to, presumably to make more from the dining plan/fantasmic people. It USED to be that you could have a really nice meat selection followed by a very nice steak and potatoes but nooooooo more.

There was genuinely nothing I fancied on this new menu which was different from when I booked. Anyway the server came over and asked for our starters, I asked if I could just have a fruit juice or something as I didn't fancy any of the appertisers. You should have seen the LOOK! If it's not on the menu you cant have it and theres no point me asking if you can because they'll say no. Wow ok :/ so I said well forget it then because theres no point bringing me something I'll only waste. She said oh I'll bring you the salad. I said no look I dont eat salad, lets not waste it. Mega LOOK again and starts tutting.

Main course, everything came with some kind of pasta. OK it wants to pretend to be an italian, but it's disneyworld yah know ;-) no options or choices. No fries, no chips, no potatoes of any kind, nothing but pasta.

I know you're thinking I'm going to be a prat here but I'd already heard the next table try to get something else for their kids and not get anywhere so I was resigned to it. So I said ok just the steak on its own. "well it'll come with vegetables and pasta" well no, please dont I dont like the taste next to the steak just the steak on its own. Well ms server went off the rails to the point where I could tell she was REALLY trying to hold back not to tell me what she thought of me. I had no wish to see her get in trouble, nor any wish to debate it with her/the manager etc so I just said look, I know you dont come up with the menu. Just the steak, on its own, nothing with it on the plate.

Stormed off and I could see her telling all the other servers about this unreasonable guy.

So over she comes with two salads. I said to her, I didn't want one? she said, loudly, well I HAVE TO BRING IT. slammed it down, stormed off.

The main course turned up. Steak with all sorts of pasta all over it. Called her back, told her AGAIN I didnt want the pasta and after more attitude, she went and had the pasta scraped off. SIGH. completely awful.

The steak itself was semi-cold, rubbery, fatty and tasteless..

Tried to find a manager just to explain my side of things but there was no one around and though the people at the podium said they'd send someone, they never did.

Eventually she came took the plates, no need to ask if we'd enjoyed it, clearly we hadn't so she didn't ask. Then she brought the dessert which was a fixed sampler (saving money again!). It was "ok" but not as good as choosing our own!

Remember I'm still being nice! unbelievably I haven't been sarcastic to her, but she's obviously fed up of me and my picky ways :lol: so I asked her for the fantasmic tickets "you dont get those until you've paid". I said oh no problem its just before we've had them during the meal and I didnt want to forget , "IM NOT GOING TO FORGET" she shouts and storms off again.

Anyway, we left. It was nearly $100 with drinks for the two of us on the package. The service was awful, the food was terrible and just the attitude of the whole place was how fast can we get people through this and out.

They have their menu. It's a pretend italian, I get it. It's my problem I'm so picky but heck, it's also disney world, can they honestly not throw some fries on the plate? some potato chips? SOMETHING for the unadventurous who don't want their tasteless pasta?

...but what really hurts is the attitude for the price paid. Perhaps the server thought I was going to complain about her so dutifully filled the role of worst server ever? Perhaps it was just she knew I wasnt going to tip well? I'd say she just didn't like having an unhappy guest but to be honest, the attitude didn't suggest that.

Honestly, worst. Place. EVER! Wild horses and a 100% discount wouldn't drag me back to that place.

So, when considering pre-booking mama melrose either using the dining plan or fantasmic, I'd strongly recommend either paying a bit more for the usually excellent brown derby or paying less for the buffet at hollywood and vine.

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Wow. That's awful. Did you go to Guest Services to tell them about the experience since you didn't get to see a manager?

I've been to Mama Melrose many times and have never had a bad experience. I will say that if anyone had spoken to me that way that there is no way I would have been as nice as you.

3. keith

No, and I fully accept that I should have but you know what? I felt like I'd wasted $100, a couple of hours as well as having to try and put it behind me so I could enjoy the rest of the day at the studios including fantasmic. I just didn't feel like trying to justify myself and argue it with any one else. I mean, the money was paid, the time was lost, the bad taste (from the attitude as well as the food) was already there, I felt it was more important to get my day back on track than try and moan. I guess at BEST I'd have got some of the cost back but more likely I'd have got the usual "I'm sorry you FELT that way, here are some fastpasses" or some other meaningless token.

4. Johnie

You could always write an email. I understand wanting to get on with your day (which is why I didn't continue trying to get our fastpass+things fixed). But, I think people will continue to get bad service if no one says anything.

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I really think you ought to tell them about it. You don't have to be seeking anything in return. Sounds awful :(

Johnie likes this.
  6. keith

yeah it was dreadful :(

I don't want it to come across as a menu thing :/ although I do feel that they could and should have some alternatives for those of us who have boring tastes :p REALLY my problem is with the attitude of the server and the restaurant in general.

I'll email. I don't want anything out of it but perhaps with a few other complaints it'll tip the balance

Britchick likes this.
  7. Johnie

Tell them straight away in the email that you aren't looking for anything. Tell them that's why you didn't say anything then.

8. keith

yeah I always do, adds to the credibility a little bit I think when we've taken time to write but not to get anything

Johnie likes this.
  9. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

No, no, no that will not do. That is not ok! I echo the suggestions of emailing - and please by all means, if you recall your servers name, USE IT! Sounds as though she could use some serious retraining!

While I will agree that Mama Melrose has never been anything to write home to Italy about, I have always found it fairly consistent and quite enjoyable. I'm sad to hear you didn't have a good experience there :(

10. keith

yeah, you're right of course.

It's the attitude I can't stand yah know? If she'd just *tried*. I mean seriously, could she really not have gone and got a fruit juice instead of an appetizer? is Disney *that* strict that she'd have a hard time justifying that if anyone noticed?

Johnie and Beccaberry like this.
  11. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I have had similar experiences at Mama Melrose where the food was bad and their service even worse. I stopped going their for a while and have just recently started going back. I find the place to be so hit or miss. I have never been seated within 20 minutes of my ADR. I am not one to complain or go cheap on a tip but in your scenario I probably would have left 2 bucks and complained to manager and then walked over to guest services and explain to them that I am a frequent visitor to WDW and have dined at most of the restaurants on the property and have never been so disrespected by a cast member. No customer should be treated the way you were treated and she shouldn't get a pass for the way you were treated.

keith and Johnie like this.
  12. Johnie

I wouldn't have left any tip and I would have made sure she knew exactly why. That is just uncalled for.

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

That kind of treatment is totally uncalled for ANYWHERE. I would not have even paid for that meal. I'll bet they would have gotten a manager over ASAP had you refused to pay. I know you don't like to cause a scene Keith but this is definitely one time I would have for certain.

We've been talking about places we should eat that we have either never been to or have not been to in a LONG time. This would certainly turn us off forever.

14. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Well, I'm glad you decided to send them an email. If you didn't, I was going to.

Appalling service and some downright rudeness - it must have felt like you were in trouble with your mother at dinner time!

15. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We did that package a few years ago and found it very bland. The service was only so so. We decided to try again this year and was much happier. The service was absolutely superb and the food was nice too. Nothing to write home about, but perfectly good.
    Seems to be one of those places which can be a bit hit and miss I think.

16. keith

Yeah to a large extent I think it was the attitude of the server. I'm pretty sure a.n.other would've reacted differently and not annoyed me so much. The food, well I think it was rubbish, but in fairness it probably just isn't my type of menu and that's not necessarily a fault of theirs, just a mismatch.

I sure as heck won't go back though... the brown derby is much much better. Mind you, it just confirms my feelings about the studios as a park in general. It's very weak compared to EPCOT/MK

17. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Absolutely pathetic. I know I would have been all over the place demanding a manager and if that didn't work, I would have been to guest services in an instant. Rubbish.

It's too bad also because years ago, we used to really enjoy eating at Mama Melrose's. Years ago they had this most delightful grilled prime rib. One of the best pieces of meat I think I ever ate. Sadly, we've never been able to recreate that particular experience.

Now I won't even try. :sigh:

Tom ( :macwave:... Ain't Mama happy, ain't nobody happy. :mad:)