1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

FASTPASS+ NextGen to be Tested at the Magic Kingdom Beginning 1st May

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

According to reports, the Magic Kingdom has been selected to begin testing FASTPASS+, part of it’s NextGen technology, during May.

FASTPASS+ sometimes referred to as XPASS — will allow eligible guests to reserve ride times in advance, using their Magic Band to access the attraction’s queue. The customizable Magic Band wristband will also be used as Key to the World card, allowing guests to use the same magnetic strip card for their resort room key as well as park tickets and more.

During this test, guests will be selected randomly to test the program upon arrival at their Disney World Resort. They will be given a FASTPASS+ card which has an embedded RFID chip to be used solely for the test program as well as an itinerary of FASTPASS windows at the Magic Kingdom park for that day based on preferences chosen by the guest.

As well as the attractions which normally offer FASTPASS, the Haunted Mansion has been fitted with a FASTPASS+ reader and will allow guests to use it during the test period.

If a Guest loses or forgets their FASTPASS+ intinerary, they will be able to visit Guest Relations or one of the many FASTPASS+ locations for a reminder.

What do you think about this?

2. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Is it going to be something that you buy as an extra? I dont like all this sort of thing if it is, i think its unfair - you have to pay enough to get into these places as it is without something like this on top. It takes us years to save for a wdw holiday and thats not even staying onsite, paying for extra things like this isnt an option, i just hope we dont lose out because of that.

If you dont have to pay, well then im not sure what i think of it!!

3. Wendy

I'm not sure if you will have to pay or not, most of the rumours seem to think that it will only be available for people who stay onsite anyway, which I think is very unfair. Some of us cannot afford or are able to stay onsite for whatever reason :shrug:

I hope Disney think this through carefully.

4. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Thats us! :lol:

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

To be honest, we don't use fastpasses anyway! even at busy times like last christmas, the rides we go on at the times we tend to do them (late night) tend to be ok anyway.

Having said that, they really do seem to make off-siters feel a bit put out. Expensive parking, no early entry or late nights, potentially better fastpasses now.

If I'd saved for a year or two, got there and found I couldn't get onto my favourite ride or had to wait hours because certain people were getting additional privileges, I'd certainly be a bit peeved to say the least.

6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I don't like the bit about reserving ride times in advance. How much in advance? Are we going to end up with the same kind of garbage the ADR's have become? :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... what's wrong with the current system?)

7. Wendy

We've never used the Fastpass system, if there is a short line we will go on, if not it won't ruin the day, we'll try again the next time we are there.

I do think it will be sad if it is only for onsite guests though.

8. Wendy

:yes: That's what it sounds like Tom - the rumours are saying you will make your ADRs and book your fastpasses at the same time :nono:

9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I don't care for this at all. I don't do parks like I do ADRs. If they restrict it to on-site guests then a lot of off site people are going to be disappointed if they can't get on a ride because the lines are full of on-site folks.

10. Wendy

I thought that was the whole point of extra magic hours, to give resort guests something different from people who stayed offsite :shrug: