1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Fat tax

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by robertcraig, Mar 27, 2013.

1. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Over 50 percent of people in uk think that airlines should charge more for overweight passengers.What do you think?
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

If they have to take up more than one seat then YES, make them pay something for the extra seat. Otherwise H E double hockey sticks NO.
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I think it's wrong, if a person is large and can fit in one seat then I don't see how they can charge people tax for being overweight, its degrading!

I think its ridiculous that they even had this poll, what's next, overweight people should pay more on buses and trains!
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I'm sitting on the fence about this and dont actually thibk it will happen but the weight is related to cost of fuel so that's why it's been muted I think. We were weighed before we got on our Grand Canyon plane tour and although I didn't really want to do it I didn't find it degrading.
  5. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Just think ll the people dieting like mad before the holidays and if you put weight on would have to pay more on return journey
  6. Wendy

We were weighed before we went on the helicopter for the Grand Canyon and I didn't find it a problem either.

I can't see any airline being brave enough to bring in the additional tax and the Government certainly wouldn't be :lol:
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The reason for the weighing on the Grand Canyon tours is two fold. One it makes sure that the total weight of the aircraft in use is not exceeded. The second reason is because they try, at least on the planes, I can't speak for the copters, to weight balance each side of the plane.
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Whilst I don`t agree with charging overweight passengers extra, nevertheless it does seem unfair if you get a skinny guy like myself who would get penalised if my bags were a few kilos over the specified limit.
    The weight of me + my bags could easily be less than that of a large person.
  9. Wendy

:lol: Terry, our friends had that problem with their 5 year old, her case was just overweight and they had to pay extra :lol:
  10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Perhaps they should make the seats just a bit wider and more leg room? Oh wait, the airlines aren't going to do that cause it will cut into their profit margin.
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, I guess it would depend upon what the definition of overweight was for individuals. What is an overweight amount for a man? A woman? A child. Would height matter?

Would so much cubic space be allowed a passenger and then once over that you pay?

I think if someone needs two seats to be safe, and another passenger comfortable, then of course they should pay for the second seat. However, if someone needs two seats, I don't know how they would "fit" between the seat in front and their seat. That's the problem I have... no leg room and whew. My legs can ache for hours after a flight since they've been cramped the entire way. And, I'm short! I don't know how tall people do it.

I don't know the answer. I don't think people should be penalized for their bodies. Airlines are carriers. They need to determine how they are going to sell their space and then shut up and do it.

Do we charge more for someone who is disabled and may need more assistance? Do we charge for someone with a screaming child who will disrupt the entire flight?

Not sure segregating one personal circumstance from the myriad of others that exist is a great idea.
  12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I think if they take up two seats then they should pay for 2 seats.

Also, I remember years ago children would pay half a ticket, now they pay a whole ticket because they take up a whole seat, so the same policy should apply to others, if you take up more than one seat, you must pay for it.

Seats are already uncomfortable, so I simply cant imagine having to seat next to someone whos taking half my seat, but Ive never been in that situation, so probably Id manage ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think that's where the potential lies. Airlines assume an average weight for a child and an adult. They use that to balance the plane and buy enough fuel. Instead of further picking on different sized people, offer a benefit to the skinny minnies. So when you stand at the checkin desk with all people and bags in the party, the scale is underneath the floor and if the party is less than the average assumed weight, good news sir, your party qualifies for extra airmiles and of course just so you know, on your way back you have another 32KG you could use or again get extra miles on the way back.

Everything always has to be a negative these days, one more knife to stick in someone's back, but with just a bit of a different spin as Sir Slowhand says, it can actually work out fairer for everyone.
  14. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

yeah but then i'd have to worry about both myself and cases on the way back :rotfl:
    that is a good idea though... would save the airlines money in the long run. Maybe you should email someone :wink:
  15. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Imagineer

God god, so now I have to be skinny to go on holiday :( I know hubby and I are fat but if they bought that in I'd never go away again. It's more pressure to conform if you ask me, I struggle to loose weight at the best of times :(
  16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Amen Lisa.

I am heavy. I fit in my seat. Sometimes I need a seat belt extender and sometimes I don't. I can put the arm rest down comfortably. I squish myself in as best as I can and even usually keep my arms crossed. BUT I find that men of any size will plop down next to me and take up ALL of the arm rest space. They don't care. Not fair if you ask me
  17. bigpapajon

bigpapajon Earning my ears

Same here. The problem is rarely in the seat size, though ...it's in the shoulder breadth. The arm rests contain you if your ass spilleth over, but if you have wide shoulder, there is nothing to do.

I am 6'5" tall, and the leg room is impossible.

Posted from my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on Tapatalk