1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Figment Family eats FREE! (day 5 , pt 1)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Figment, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Figment

Figment Imagineer

Day Five

Figment…me…43
    Marcus…DH…40
    Jordan…DS…11 (eating off the adult menu for the 1st time)

Thursday, August 28th

Since we’d had such a bust of a day at AK the day before, we decided to head out again today to try our luck.

First thing we did was make a beeline for the first show of Festival of the Lion King. We only made it a few minutes before the show started and they were out of spaces for ECVs. The CM asked me if I could walk, told me to leave my ECV there and exit out the same way we came in and it would be there waiting for me. I took my cane, and walked into the theater. The show was wonderful, as usual and we exited out the in side just as we were instructed. My ECV was gone! :shocked025: I spoke to the CM (of course, a different one than I’d talked to before the show) and he said it had been moved over to the exit. This really upset me, as now I had to stand painfully while Marcus went to the other side and drove my ECV back to me. I conveyed my disappointment to the CM as I’d only done what I was told. He was nearly rude and just had absolutely no sympathy for the situation. :angry-smiley-053: I wish that CMs would pass on information from shift to shift.:slap:

We then headed over to Kilimanjaro Safari. Without too long of a queue, we made it into a truck for our 2 week trip. ;) I cannot remember the name of our driver, but he was the best we have ever had.:yes: He was very nice; spoke very distinctly so we could understand everything he said, and, even though he couldn’t actually stop for the animals…he slowed down to a minor creep to allow us to take better pictures whenever he could. We passed so close to a baby giraffe, we could almost touch it! :excited001:

By now we were hungry, and our dinner ADRs were for tonight at 6:20pm. We slipped over to Pizzafari for lunch as we’d never been here before (and since Tusker House was no longer CS :( ). Jordan, of course, had the pizza. Marcus had the chicken parmesan sandwich with chips, and I had the hot Italian style sandwich, also with chips. I don’t really trust Jordan’s opinion of pizza…he always says it’s good no matter what. :lol: However, it looked ok. Marcus enjoyed his sandwich, although he wasn’t fond of the multigrain bun. My sandwich was very good…I’m not sure I’m remembering correctly, but I think it was some kind of foccacia bread. :confused: For dessert, Marcus had the frozen lemonaid, Jordan had the chocolate cake, and I had the apple pie. Somehow they’d messed up our order and given us two frozen lemonades, Jordan and Marcus saved it for later. I also don’t trust Jordan’s opinion of chocolate cake…but he devoured it. :wink: I was pleasantly surprised by my apple pie. It actually looked more like a tart or a Danish, but it was quite tasty.:thumbs_up:

Next, we headed for Dinoland. We rode Dinosaur again…love that ride…and then went over to Primeval Whirl…hate that ride, but Jordan loves it so we have to ride it once. :rolleyes008: We were again starting to feel the heat, so we planned to head into Asia…hit Everest and then go back to swim for a bit before dinner.

We didn’t feel the park was nearly as crowded, but by the time we made it over to Expedition Everest, all the fastpasses were gone, and the standby line was a 90 minute wait. But with my ECV and GAC we managed to ride it twice in a row. We try not to abuse the privilege the card gives us (for I am very grateful for it) but since we’d not been able to ride the day before and this was our last day in AK we made an exception this time.:gy:

After our swim, we headed off to the Polynesian for our Ohana ADR. We just love Ohana, and we’d not been back since all of the menu changes…we were eager to see how we liked it. We’d made plans while in the pool, that after dinner, Jordan and I would take the monorail to Magic Kingdom to watch Wishes while Marcus would go back to the hotel and read…however, while enroute to the Poly, Jordan realized he’d left his bum bag in the room:oops:, so he didn’t have his Key to the World with him. Once at the Poly, we decided to leave my ECV in the car since we were going to have to run back to our resort after dinner for Jordan to get his ticket, and we didn’t want Marcus to have to load and reload yet again. (That thing is HEAVY)

We arrived at the resort just in time to catch the tail end of the torch lighting ceremony…I never knew such a thing even existed and it was fun to see. I made it up to Ohana with just my cane, and Marcus even volunteered to go to the podium and check us in so that I could collapse in a chair to rest. (Marcus volunteered to speak to strangers! You cannot believe what a momentous occasion that was!) We didn’t wait long to be seated, and we actually had a very nice table. Had we been staying late enough, we’d have had a great view of Wishes.

As soon as we sat down, we were brought our bread. I really don’t care for this because of the coconut flavoring. I had a bite or two, but that’s all. Once our drink orders were taken, the food began to arrive…and although I still miss the little pineapple/shrimp wonton thingies, I must admit that the new accompaniments are very good. :p015: Of course, I was the only one to have any of the salad…but I thought it was quite yummy. As for the chicken wings, Marcus and I both thought they were okay, but Jordan loved them and ate several. The pan-fried noodles were just fantastic. We all liked them a lot and had a refill of those. The pork dumplings were divine and we had a refill of those as well. The broccoli and peas were okay (tasted only by me again), but I thought had no real flavor compared to everything else. I easily could have made a meal out of just the starters and been happy, but the skewers started coming around as well. Quite honestly, I had very little of any of the meats…I did have a taste of all 3 (steak, pork and turkey) and they were all pretty good. (We have been spoiled as we have a wonderful Brazilian Churascaria near us and it has many divine meat choices.) I refuse to tell you, however…to even hazard a guess…at how many shrimp I ate. :7: There are no words for how good these are. The banana foster bread pudding is so anti-climatic after everything else. I don’t know how anyone can eat any of that after dinner. I had a bite or two, and it was very good, but I couldn’t find it in me to even enjoy it. Had it still been the caramel and pineapple, I would have asked for it to go to enjoy later. Bill around $80, tipped around $15. Would we go back? Of course!

Our Wishes mis-adventure will have to wait for part 2.:gy:
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

mmm 'Ohana. A must do every trip for us.

I can't beleive how rude the CM was at FOTLK. Good grief. That is just awful.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The incident at the close of the Lion King show is completely unacceptable. Your health was at risk and that CM should have been moving fast to correct the situation. Did you get the name by any chance?

I'm not an 'Ohana fan. :sorry: I'm glad you enjoyed the meal though! :yes:
  4. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    'Ohana fan reporting in - I love it there - always!!! :yes:
  5. Figment

Figment Imagineer

No, Tink, I didn't get his name. :( I know I should have, but I ws just so shocked at his behavior. Not only did he not *move fast to correct things* he kept dismissing me by turning his back to me and making small talk to other guests. It was an olderish gentleman which also surprised me.