1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

First Day Traditions at Walt Disney World

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Is there anything or anywhere you usually go on your first day?

For us we arrive in the evening so we tend to go shopping for groceries and then sometimes, go for a walk around DTD depending on how tired we are.

Our first full day is normally a wander around World Showcase, we get there for around 11am and make straight for France to the Boulangerie Patisserie. After that we go back to sit by the pool in the sun :D

What do you like to do?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

When we are staying, we like to explore the resort after check in. As we all know by now :D when it's OKW, we head to Gurgling Suitcase for that first traditional drink.

We then decide day by day what we want to do... sometimes it will depend upon what is being offered as activities at our resort of choice for that stay. It will depend too, upon who is with us (if anyone).

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Normally we will hit DTD and grab a Margarita and do a little shopping.

4. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Normally we go to DTD in the evening after landing. To absorb all of the Disney magic!

We visit one of the water parks to absorb the warmth and sunlight while on the lazy river! Bliss!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?d34bii

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

As it is late in the afternoon when we normally arrive, by the time we get to our villa [via Publix], and do a bit of unpacking, following dinner at a nearby eatery, we normally just crash out to bed.
    The following day, we are normally wide awake at some unearthly hour and we tend to go to DTD for some people watching and grab a bite at the Earl of Sandwich for lunch.

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I also tend to go to DTD during the first day I arrive. Perfect time to really realize I'm at Disney and soak up the feel of the place.

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Once we arrive (via publix) it's usually pretty late. Especially this time as we were on the later of the planes from Manchester so didn't end up arriving at the villa until about 9pm.

We USED to have a tradition of the hoop dee doo on the first evening but with the flights getting later and the hoop dee doo getting worse :/ we've not done that on the first night for a while.

If we get the chance, my favourite first night is to arrive late at EPCOT, grab a glass or three of champagne and watch illuminations. I don't know if I mentioned it before but illuminations is how I found Disney in the first place.

( Many years ago I was coming back from a hellish corporate meeting somewhere in Europe. The company driver met me at the airport and told me I looked like hell.. which was better than I felt after having drunk more than was sensible on the plane to try and forget the meeting :lol: and said I should take a holiday.
    Well in that place, it was so political, I'd NEVER taken a holiday because it was so political I'd have come back and not had an office. The driver went on and on about how he'd quit a terrible job some years ago because it was ruining his life and how he now concentrated on non-work things. His favourite being this place in Florida where they had the most amazing fireworks around this huge lake. It sounded wonderful.
    When I turned my phone back on, in the space of the 3 hour flight, I'd received over 99 voicemails (maximum the service allowed), 40 odd texts and 200 emails (all from people not automated stuff). I listened to the first few and thought the hell with it, life's REALLY too short and phoned the 24 hour bank travel line to book my flights to Orlando :lol:
    I had no idea it was even Disney, no accommodation or anything. Told the airport taxi "erm EMCOT? ENCOT? some place with a huge lake and great fireworks?" Thankfully the taxi knew where to take me, although I seem to recall a rather large bill :lol: After the fireworks, I asked a cast member if there were any hotels nearby and they laughed and gave me the disney resort line. They fixed me up at all star movies of all places!
    So before I knew there were Disney sites, or what Disneyworld was or anything else, there was EPCOT illuminations and some great life advice from a driver)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  8. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Emcot?! :lol:

We dont stay onsite so dont have a wdw first day tradition there

9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I know! :lol: I'd just never heard of Disneyworld and so all I had to go on was this conversation with this driver when I was quite frankly, fairly drunk :lol:

what do you do on your first Orlando day then?

10. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Ha ha Keith, I love that story :) what a lovely way to be introduced to Disney.
    :wiggle:

11. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Always SeaWorld for us on our first day :yes:

12. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Fab story Keith had me smirking :yes:

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ojftvw

13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

great story and indeed a life changing moment, what Oprah would call an aha moment.

We tend to crash after shopping and a light meal when we get there, next day is Magic Kingdom! always!

14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I'm an unpacker. Doesn't matter if I'm there for 2 days or 20, I'm not really there until all of our clothes are in the drawers and our toiletries are on the counter by the sink. Then and only then have I "officially" arrived ;-)

Holy goodness, I have issues don't I?

15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Haha!! I have to unpack as well. I can't stand living out of a suitcase

16. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Umm, well, errr umm wellllllllllllllllll................................:unsure: :wink: :hug2:

17. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Wow, never bothered me!! I can live IN my suitcase so....

Not sure if we have a first day thing. Our flights from VA are pretty short so we have most of the day to go to a park. Normally we go to AK as it requires less time to feel like you have "been there" officially. Then off to our resort pool to wind down.

18. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I don't have a first day tradition other than the unpacking. Sometimes my flight comes on very early in the am. And other times it comes in late afternoon/evening.