1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

First post on this forum. Ok I have a 5yo

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by OconeeDawg, Jun 19, 2012.

1. OconeeDawg

OconeeDawg Earning my ears

And a 2yo what would be the best parks for our girls? We are wanting to stay at a resort with monorail access what resort would you recommend iwill be our first trip. Typing this on my phone if I have bad grammar. Thanks
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Monorail access is at the Contemporary, the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian.

Not sure which would be best for your family, but my personal preference of those would be Bay Lake Towers at the Contemporary. If you chose a one bedroom villa you'd have a place for the children to nap that is separate from the rest of the villa.

I wasn't that impressed with the Poly when we stayed there, so can't much recommend that resort.

We've never stayed at the GF, so am no help there, either! However, other members here have stayed there and can better comment on that resort.
  3. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

I would agree with what Tink says, I would like to stay in the Contemporary tower however as the monorail runs through it. Welcome to secrets!
  4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Hey Neighbor!

And :spraywelcome: to Secrets.

I'm torn between the Contemporary Tower and the Grand Floridian. I've stayed at the Contemporary and really enjoyed it. Having the monorail run through the building was really cool.

Haven't stayed at the GF but have been over to take a look. I think it's somewhere I'd really like to try. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... y'all come back now. Ya' hear?)
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

A lot depends on your budget OconeeDawg.
    As Tink said, you can`t go far wrong with Bay Lake Towers as it is within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom. :yes:

At the other end of the scale is the Grand Floridian Resort where we have stayed loads of times. It may be a tad pricey but it is only one stop away from the Magic Kingdom on the monorail and it has a very child friendly pool area. They also do character meals in one of the restaurants, so for young kids it is a great choice of resort.

A warm :secrets3: by the way. :wave:
  6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I'd choose the Polynesian. It's my favorite resort and I visit as often as I can.
  7. catrancher

Recommendations for all three. Ok, so everybody has their favorite. No real surprise there.

Bottom line is that you've got the three that were mentioned to choose from. The Contemporary, The Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. All are on the monorail line.
    And to be truthful, if this is your first trip, you won't go wrong with any of them. :yes:

Course, you won't go wrong with any Disney resort. On the monorail or off. If budget is an issue, you may want to expand your considerations to some of the value or moderate resorts. They all have regular bus service to the parks. However, they're not on the monorail line. The ones on the monorail line like have been mentioned are the deluxe resorts.

What parks? For a 2 year old and a 5 year old? No contest. The Magic Kingdom all the way. :thumbsup:
    The others (Epcot, Disney Studios, and the Animal Kingdom) all have things to offer too. But for children on their first visit, I'd go with the Magic Kingdom as the priority.

Hope this helps. If you've got other questions, just ask!

Tom :)macwave:... you're going to have such a good time!)
  8. Johnie

Technically this is not a resort on the monorail line but it is a short ferry ride over to MK, Wilderness Lodge. It is one of my favorite deluxe resorts AND it is usually much cheaper than Poly, GF and Contemporary.
  9. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

I would highly recommend the Polynesian. I have not stayed at any Disney resorts more than here (8 times in total). Great location, on the monorail and a beautiful setting. You can't beat walking around here at night with the south seas music and tiki torches lighting your way.
  10. catrancher

Good point Johnie!

And I can attest that it's a very nice resort indeed! My DW and I really liked the resort. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... if I just hadn't caught the flu while we were there!)
  11. OconeeDawg

We are trying to stay in the 6 to 8000 range for 7 days.
  12. Johnie

That includes everything? Have you looked into the dining plan? What time frame do you want to go?
  13. Britchick

have you been before OconeeDawg?
  14. OconeeDawg

Nope never been. Is 6 to 8000 not enough? That includes meals and all. I want it to be special they love everything Disney. How much does a 7 day trip usually cost?
  15. OconeeDawg

We are looking at next June just researching now.
  16. Britchick

Well I'm from the UK so usually book from over here, others on the forum book in the US though and will know better, Johnie is actually a travel agent and may be able to help you too. A quick look for the end of this year with tickets at the Polynesian is around $4500 for 7 days. I'm sure you will be able to meet your budget including dining.

Whatever you decide be sure to ask as many questions as you like, we love answering them and hope we can help you can make your first trip magical!
  17. catrancher

With that kind of budget, you should be able to stay anywhere you'd like on Disney property. I just ran a quick check based on two adults and two children (6 and 3 year olds). Had to do it for this year since it wouldn't let me price it for next year. Anyway, staying at the Grand Floridian (most expensive hotel), with 7 day Park Hopper plus Water Park tickets, and including the Dining Plan the whole thing comes out to right about $6,900.00. Of course, that's just a broad estimate but it's indicative of what you can expect price wise.

However, I know you'll find the experience unforgetable. You may want to request the Walt Disney World Vacation Planning DVD. You can do so off this page. Of course, you can always pop back in here and ask questions or get help with planning.

We love to do Disney vacations! :yes:

In the meantime, keep it "between the hedges". :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... self appointed Assistant Cruise Director. :sail:)
  18. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We took our 4yo and 2yo girls this past Easter.

We stayed at the Poly. I really liked the resort's location, but I didnt think the resort itself was worth the price per night, if that makes sense.

But lets see, of the choices near MK

Contemporary, the good thing is you can walk to MK and its only 1 stop to the TTC where you must change monoriels to go to Epcot. You have Chef Mickey's which offers character dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It has some nice shops, but not many activities for resosrt guests.

Polynesian, you cant beat its location! You can ride the monoriel or take a ferry accross the lagood to MK, you can walk to the TTC for Epcot. You have Ohana's, wonderful character dining for breakfast and delicious food for dinner. Kona cafe is also there and we had a lovely breakfast. It offers a few activities for kids if you decide to stay at the resort one day. It also has a nice pool with a big slide and a beach from where you can watch MK fireworks and the electrical water pageant

Grand Floridian. It is beautiful, you can also ride the monoriel or take a ferry to MK, but to go to the TTC you would have to stop at MK and the Contemporary first, so that would add about 10-15 mins to your trip. You have many dining options, including 1900 Park Fare which offers a nice character breakfast and a dinner with Cinderella.

Now, going with two little ones, I suppose you will be taking strollers, and the good thing about monoriel resorts is that you do not have to fold your stroller for either Magic Kingdom or Epcot, which wont seem like a big deal, until its 11:00pm, both kids are asleep and you are leaving the park, just the thought of folding strollers, carrying sleeping kids whilst holding a stroller in a dark, full and cold bus doesnt sound like the best way to end your day.

We have also stayed at Wilderness Lodge and loved the resort, and also loved that its far enough away from all the hustle and bustle, but still pretty close to the action! but on that trip it was 2 adults and 1 toddler, so 1 adult took care of the sleeping toddler and the other took care of the stroller..... this trip, we only had one night where both kids fell asleep, it was not a nice ride back to the Poly after dinner in DTD... so yes, considering your kids ages, a monoriel resort sounds best!
  19. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Love the look and feel of the GF but have only stayed at the Poly one time. You aren't in the military are you? If so check out Shades of Green...you could save a ton and it is a short walk to pick up the monorail at the Poly. We stayed there on our first trip when it was the Disney Inn.
  20. OconeeDawg

Ok people we decided to book our trip for this December staying at Bay Lake Tower one bedroom suit lake view. Thanks for all of your help.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012