1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

First Timers

Discussion in 'Intro's and Welcomes!' started by Dixie64, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Dixie64

Dixie64 Earning my ears

We are considering Disney World for our vacation this year. We don't have kids and are mainly going for the golf. Has anyone out there played golf at WDW? Any opinions on resorts we should consider, either the Moderates or Deluxe resorts. We are going with the My Way premium package as it will include unlimited golf. I have been to Disney World in the past, although never stayed on-site but my husband has never been so if I have to drag him to one of the theme parks which one would be the best? He doesn't really have an interest in the parks but I think once we get there the "magic" of it all might overtake him! We aren't planning to go until September so I have awhile to plan it all.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

First of all a warm :rainbowwelcome: to the site. :thumbsup:
    There`s nothing to compare with that first visit to WDW and I`m sure that you will be hooked after you have seen what`s on offer.
    One thing to bear in mind is that WDW is HUGE..it covers an area of around 43 square miles so you certainly won`t be able to see and do everything on your trip so remember to allow some free days to save energy.

My wife and I don`t have children and also we`re not golfers, however there are loads of golf courses in and around WDW so you & your husband will be spoiled for choice.

The choice of resorts is very much a case of "you get what you pay for", but all of Disney`s Resorts have their own feel to them so you won`t be disappointed whichever you choose.

As for the parks, well in my opinion the most "adult" orientated of them is Epcot which you would both enjoy.
    Having said that, the feeling you get when you enter the Magic Kingdom and see Cinderella`s Castle for the first time is a memory you will treasure for a long time.

You`ve sure found the right site to help with planning your trip so ask away with any questions.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Old Key West, hands down. It's ON a golf course. It's a beautiful course and you are going to be in golf heaven. :yes:

Welcome to Disney Secrets by the way!!!

Our favorite park is EPCOT. If it's a factor, you cannot obtain alcoholic beverages in the MK.

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

First of all:

:spraywelcome:

Next, I'd have to agree with everything Slowhand said! :yes:

While I haven't played the Disney courses (I'm a reformed golfer), I've got numerous friends who have. Here's a basic rundown of the main Disney courses (all the lengths and ratings are from the white tees):

Lake Buena Vista
    Length: 6281
    Course rating:70.1
    Lake Buena Vista virtual tour
    Palm
    Length: 6479
    Course rating:71.4
    Palm Virtual Tour
    Magnolia
    Length: 6558
    Course rating:71.6
    Magnolia Virtual Tour

Osprey Ridge
    Length: 6629
    Course rating:71.7
    Osprey Ridge Virtual Tour

Of course, there's also Disney's Oak Trail course but that's effectively a 9 hole par three and not exactly what you appeared to want.

Out of all the courses on Disney property, the Magnolia is probably the most popular. It also can be the most crowded. I've got friends who've played there and had to wait on every tee for another foursome or two. Any of the Disney courses are beautifully maintained and manicured. And I'm sure all of them will provide you with a very satisfying round or two!

Resort wise, if you're going primarily for the golf, either the Grand Floridian (as Slowhand said) or the Polynesian would be your best bets. The Polynesian is right across the street figuratively speaking from both the Palm and Magnolia courses. Both resorts are also on the monorail line so you've got easy access to the Magic Kingdom for those nighttime activities! :thumbsup:

Kinda makes me want to get my clubs back out... Bertha... oh Bertha, where'd I hide you?

Tom :)macwave:... down to the basement to dust off his clubs!)

5. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

:wave: Hi Dixie and welcome to Secrets.

Sorry I can't help with the golf info or on site info but looks like the others are very knowledgeable so you're in good hands.

Enjoy planning your trip

Sandra

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The Disney Golf Courses are fabulous. I would rank them from best to worst as follows, although even the worst is fabulous.

Magnolia
    Osprey Ridge
    Palm
    LBV

The Magnolia and Palm are both used in the pro tournament (I believe now called The Children's Miracle Network) in late October/early November.

I haven't played Oak Trail. As Tom (catrancher) says it is a 9 hole, walking only, but it is not a par 3. It is a regulation par 36.Oak Trail

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

That'll teach me! I see 9 hole and instantly think par 3. Just the way what little mind I have left works. :mental:
    Sorry for the wrong information! :embarassed2:

Tom :)macwave:... of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most!)

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tiger's favorite Disney course is LBV. :D :D :D

9. Dixie64

Dixie64 Earning my ears

Thanks for all the replies. I can't wait to tee up!