1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

First Visit Coming in June

Discussion in 'Intro's and Welcomes!' started by jj macisaac, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jj macisaac

jj macisaac Earning my ears

Hello,

My wife and I are planning our first visit to Disney in June with our two daughters 9 and 11. Torn on where to stay we hear great things about every resort. Port Orleans is our favorite so far from what we can see, although not sure if we want to pay the extra if we are not going to be there all that much so much to do especially on our first visit.

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

:secrets2:

Welcome to the boards - please ask any and all questions you have no matter how small.

Like you we were a bit unsure about paying the 'extra' for a resort as we felt we were going to be in the parks all day but TBH it made a great deal of difference to the feel of the holiday - Port Orleans is a lovely resort and very relaxing compared to the budget hotels.

:wave:

seriously ask as many questions as yuo can - the planning of the Disney trip is 'almost' as much fun as the holiday itself

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

:spraywelcome:

I absolutely agree with what Skywatcher said!

Port Orleans Riverside is our favorite resort. Very relaxing. Full of southern charm (like me)! :laugh2:

Tom :)macwave:... well... it USED to be called Dixie Landings)

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

:hello1: and welcome to Secrets. Sorry I can't help with the resort as we've never stayed onsite before.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've not stayed at PO but my brother and his family has. It was a lovely resort to visit. :yes:

Having said that, we've stayed at the value resorts and some of the deluxe resorts (and the DVCs). The value resorts are quite nice too! They are big, bold, in your face Disney places. The rooms are a bit small though, and your children are a little older so you may really appreciated the extra room at PO.

The value resorts (All Stars and Pop Century) have very nice food courts. They have a wide variety of choices and the servings are often large enough for two to share.

Tough choice deciding where to stay! :yes:

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

hi there and WELCOME

I'm a huge fan of port orleans. I think they offer a great combination of value for money and surroundings :yes:

Fridges included, there are bars with entertainment, restaurant, boats to downtown disney (a very pleasant journey it is too!) and more

I'd stay on the floor of a value resort lobby in a sleeping bag if it meant I was at Disney :lol: but I do think the extra for port orleans is worth it

7. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

:wave: Hello, and welcome to Secrets.

POFQ is a lovely resort, charming and quiet. The moderates are definitely worth the extra cost. :thumbsup:

8. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Welcome to Disney Secrets, jj! We're glad you've joined us!

As Tink noted, the WDW value resorts might be a bit cramped for your family. They have two double beds and there isn't a lot of spare floor space. I've only stayed at Pop Century--and loved it--of the four resorts, but the rooms are all configured very similarly. And they are cozy, to say the least!

If you are seriously considering Port Orleans Riverside (POR), you might want to consider the Alligator Bayou section. The rooms actually sleep five, with two double beds and a trundle bed under one of the double beds. You can request that room configuration, but it would be a request only. If there are families of five, they will have first choice for those rooms--for obvious reasons! :)

The moderates are nice for a larger family, as there is a privacy curtain between the main room and the closet/dressing/vanity area. It's possible for someone to use that area without disturbing everyone else in the room--particularly if one member of the family tends to rise earlier or retire later than the others. :) The rooms are a tad bit larger than the value resorts, and there is a small refrigerator in the room at no charge. :thumbsup:

9. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!