1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Flights and miles

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by mainecoon lover, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Ok so later in the year will be looking at flights for next November and December 2009.
    I have lots of Virgin miles but to be honest they seem a waste but would like to try to use them. Even just to stop dh saying i told you so.
    So we want the best price possible. I am also quite intrested in flying with BA.
    Now to get the cheapest and best deals possible i want to book as soon as flights come on sale. The problem being we want to fly out around 18 November 2009 and back around 9th December 2009 so in theory need to book January 09. We will be flexible as will not book villa until flights are booked. We want to be there at least a week before the 1st of December for dd 18th birthday.
    Do you think it might be worth looking at booking one way with Virgin using miles and then BA will just money. We would then be able to book are outbound flight as soon as they go on sale.
    I will need to book UC or buisness class seats for dd and myself. The rest of the clan will be in economy.
    Also i know with Virgin dd can stay in reclined for take off and then go flat, can you do this with BA as well.
    Sorry lots of questions but need to get best price and best way to travel for dd.
    Why Ba i am sure you are going to ask. Well they seem cheaper and they also do not have the screen between the seats. I would rather this on return flight so i can keep good eye on dd without having to stand up every 5 minutes.
    Thanks.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`m in a similar situation mainecoon lover having amassed loads of Virgin air miles over the years.
    Fortunately my DW and I are very flexible regarding exactly when we fly out and return so on this basis I tend to call VA and pay for PE seats both ways but use my miles for an upgrade to UC on the return journey.
    If we had rigid departure and arrival dates then it would be more difficult to arrange as VA only offer a few tickets on this basis.
    The ability to lie down for a good nights sleep on the return journey is bliss...and it`s even better when it doesn`t cost us anything!

It may be worth you comparing prices on both VA and BA websites to find out which would work out cheaper for you.

3. mainecoon lover

Thankyou

4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

BA are usually cheapest for flights in my experience, the advice i got from BA when we were going to be booking using ba miles for orlando for next august was to buy one way as they were released. With ba this would have cost a bit more in taxes and fees. You may have trouble with prices around the end of november due to thanksgiving- its the 26th next year, you can get some good bargains flying out on that date though. Onto the reclining, BA have a take off and landing position which isn't bolt upright so not as bad as economy.

5. mainecoon lover

Thanks. Will keep looking. Think it will be best for when flights go on sale and not fly drives.