1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Flip cam/Mini camcorder?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Figment, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Figment

Figment Imagineer

Looking to purchase one of those small, inexpensive cameras to take with us to Disney. All of our phones work as a videocam, but can only do really short times and have no zoom qualities. I don't want to spend more than $100. I've seen some as cheap as $25, but I want something that isn't a piece of junk. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's a good question but I don't have a great answer I must admit

A little while ago when they were all the rage I got a kodak one. It was kinda getting good reviews and was cheap enough.

I never REALLY got on with it much although there was new toy enjoyment for a brief time :lol:

the problem was that it was larger than my iphone which very quickly overtook its capabilities.

Now I hear you on the time of clips and zoom, and perhaps you're right there may be some that do that better but last time I looked, I thought if I was going to do video I'd want to move to a full albeit small, camcorder.

(another option is your digital stills camera may have video but again it'll likely be time limited and the controls probably wont work as well for video as a dedicated camcorder)

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I bought a flip cam years ago (had to tape counseling sessions for class) and it worked well.

I just read they are no longer making it

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Sadly, both are no more from the manufacturers. Cisco bought Flip and promptly killed the whole thing. Kodak is working hard to go out of business and is no longer making any cameras it seems except for the single use ones. Kind of sad really. You can still get both the Flip and the Kodak ones from Amazon. Also, Agfaphoto has a little camcorder similar to the Flip or the Kodak that still seems to be available.

But I agree with Keith in that if I'm going to do video now, I do it with either my phone or my still camera (either my point and shoot or my DSLR). At least on my point and shoot, I don't find the 10 minute or so limit to be a problem. I just take my shot and stop shooting at a natural break anyway. Usually when I'm putting a video together on my computer, I look for small clips anyway so breaking a long video up into scenes is a natural thing for my work flow anyway and mimics how major films are assembled from many smaller scenes.

Tom :)macwave:... tmtowtdi... there's more than one way to do it! :yes:0

5. Figment

Figment Imagineer