1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Florida without theme parks?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dawn, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Is it possible to spend two weeks in Florida and be busy and not visit a theme park?

It's finally time to admit that I didn't enjoy our trip last August. I don't know whether it was because mother in law was with us and her snipy remarks spoiled it or whether it was because it was assumed I'd act as a tour guide for everyone or whether it's the lack of spontaneity now, but... I was relieved to get home.

Thing is though... I love Florida. I love staying in a villa with your own pool and going to Walmart for weird stuff and the seafood and all that stuff you get out there. I even love the thunderstorms.

Has anyone been and not done theme parks?

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

The first time we went we only went to Orlando for 4 days the rest of the time we were in Miami and the west coast. Personally if I were visiting Florida and not WDW I would fly into Miami and head west across alligator alley. We had a villa on rotunda west. Plenty to do, nice places to eat, fab beaches and not as many Brits in sight. Very relaxing but Walmart round the corner if you wish :)

3. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

I think it's perfectly possible to spend 2 weeks without Disney or US.
    In the past we've done:
    St Augustine and nearby beaches, Everglades, Seaworld, Gatorland, Kissimmee Old Town, Kennedy, Busch Gardens, Ripleys, Malls, water-skiing (not me!), Silver Springs ( think that's gone now).
    Then you have Winter Park, Mount Dora, the Warbird Museum etc. If you have a car the opportunities are endless. :D

4. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We haven't done the parks our last 5 or 6 trips, there's lots to do without doing to the parks

5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

It was my stalking wasn't it? Damn. I knew that last hug was over the line.

Dizneyblonde likes this.
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We do go to the parks but nowhere near as much as others. We just dip in an out, often for specific experiences like fireworks or dining. I can't remember the last time we spent a full day at a park!

The rest of the time, it's general Florida for us.

I really enjoy it nowadays, FAR more than ever before with a lovely villa and car

7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

No that was one of the highlights. Genuinely.

I guess I got fed up of having to make every decision for everyone. Even down to what shoes mother in law should wear that day. And if she said the money was stupid once more I would have driven her to the middle of the Everglades and left her there. Even Adrian said she was hopeless. :lol:

And Steven refused to have his photo taken most of the time too.

Beccaberry likes this.
  8. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Dawn :hug2: sound like a challenging holiday..

We always say that we are not going to Florida but going to WDW. We generally spend large part of our time in WDW being like big kids.

Does anyone remember the wonderful advert where two boys was running round and on the reflection it was actually father and son. Cant remember who ran that advert.

Stephen and I are very much like that (minus father of course!)

Two years time is our 10th anniversary and we are debating if we should 'see' the world or do fly and cruise with Disney...

9. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Don't worry Dawn, you're definitely not alone.

I've had a similar trip where the extended family came along and I, as tour guide/facilitator/chauffeur ended up simply being the focus of all the negativity and the gripes and moans. Not very enjoyable.

More recently, I've taken to only visit the parks that have changed since my last trip and, even then, not usually for full days. I didn't step foot into a theme park my entire trip last time, but you all know why.

Like you, I love just being in Florida, enjoying the atmosphere, the weather and the space - things that are just as easy to enjoy away from the parks as they are in them.

10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

We did it once and while it WAS weird to not visit WDW it was still a good holiday :)

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We love just being in Florida and in all honesty last year we didn't go to the parks very much at all. When we did it was only for a couple of hours. Gone are the days of a full day at a park.

We are considering not getting passes next year, there are other things to see and do, there are a couple of National Parks that we'd like to go to.

I know how you feel about being chief planner, I've been in that position and it was very stressful and I didn't enjoy the holiday at all.

I'd definitely go without going to the parks :yes:

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We'll be doing a year of being in Florida without going to the parks. :sigh:

13. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

I would primarily go to Florida to visit WDW (or as a port for a cruise ship) and other than hitting a few of the Keys would not really be too interested in spending time there without the parks. We don't go every year and that is what we go there for. If not it would be like, well staying here in coastal Virginia, the Outer Banks or Mrtle Beach. Guess it would be too similar in my mind.