1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Flying with small ones..

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Shellyamc, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

This will be our first time flying with the kids!! Drive was easy, but now that we are under 300 days ( :mental: ), I'm freaking out a little about getting the kids on a plane. They will be 6 (turning 7 during our trip), 4, and 1 year 7 months. It is a short flight, around 2ish hours, so that makes it a little easier.

So do you have any tips or things we have to do??

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I know that a lot of the airlines have stopped doing advance boarding for families with small children but if your's still does it then most definitely take advantage. If not, then try to do online checkin at exactly the 24 hour point so that you can be one of the first to board at that time.

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Take lots of things for them to do.

When we went almost 10 years ago with our friends and their girls, they were 6 and 8. I printed up lots of Disney pictures for them to colour and I made some word search puzzles up.

I also had some games to play, all Disney related and I had little prizes for them as well. We were on a 9 hour flight and it kept them occupied for a lot of the time.

You will be fine with 2 hours, take some colouring books and pencils.

4. Shellyamc

Thanks guys, so far so good :)

Now what about their little ears? Anything I can give them/use?

I don't think any of them get motion sick, so I should be ok there. :unsure:

5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Get ear plugs. They have them in the pharmacy section of just about every store. Give them food/drinks so they are swallowing. That helps with ears popping. Personally, is probably sit in the back if the plane with kids. Close to the bathroom

6. Shellyamc

Oh ok! I didn't know if regular ear plugs would help. I will make sure I have drinks and snacks - if you can still bring those on a plane :unsure:

Yes, near the potty would be good. Our kids LOOOOOVE to go potty wherever possible, so a plane would top the list. You should have seen how many trips we made while riding the train :surrender:

7. Johnie

:lol: then you'll definitely want to sit in the back of the plane. If the flight isn't full, there will usually be more empty seats back that way. Everyone seems to want to sit in the front.

Ear plugs help some. If they can chew gum, that could help too. Not sure if you want them to have gum though :unsure:

Here is the TSA info http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

There is no restriction on the amount of baby formula, breast milk, or medicines you can bring, but they must be declared and presented for inspection at the checkpoint.

You can bring food through the checkpoint but you can't have anything considered liquid that won't fit in the bag. After you get through security, you can purchase food and drinks (pricey) and take it on the plane. I know some people carry an empty water bottle with them and then fill it up after they get through security. I always carry a clean refillable bottle with me since getting stuck in the airport in Charlotte.

8. Shellyamc

Ok - I will have to check out that website. I think the last time Drew and I flew was in 2005 so, of course, a lot has changed since then!

Thank God we will be out of the formula stage, so I won't have to worry about that one!

Katie can chew gum and I think I might be able to get Marc to if I get something fruity. He thinks Mommy's gum is gross :taunt:

Ok so from what you are saying it sounds like I could take something like a juice box on the plane as long as I had it in my bag? Even if I can just bring snacks, I can buy the drinks after the checkpoint.

Hmmm..it was easier to drive :yes:

9. Johnie

I'm not sure about drinks at all :-(

10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

1. Safety and keeping them in their seats. Check out the CARES harness, its super easy to use and works like a 5 point harness so its something they are used to that will keep them in their seats

2. Seating, we usually seat at the back of the plane, because its closer to the toilet and you take lots of toilet trips because they find it super fun hahahaha

3. Food, you can brong formula, water, juices, etc.... Through security and we havent had any restrictions on the amount of either liquid or food we coild take through. TSA agents do open and test all liquids, so be prepared to open everything

4. Security checks, last time we flew they didnt make the girls take their shoes off, but they did have to walk through the scanner on their own, so preferably have them wear tracksuits so no buttons, belts, etc.... Also, you have to put your stroller through the xray machine so try to have it empty so its easier to fold

5. Ears.... Baby bottle during take off and landing, lollipops and gum. Also have them yawn. It works! :)

6. Entertainment... If you have an ipad or iphone load it with movies and kids apps, thats what entertained them te most because its not something they get to do on a regular basis. Sticker book, crayons and coloring books work too

7.clothes... Take a change or clothes for everyone including you!!! Youll probably only use them if you dont have them with you hahaha, ziplock bags for dirty clothes, antibacterial gel and lots of wipes!!!

8. Snacks! You rarely get food nowadays but even if you do its nasty!!! So, fruit, nuts, crakers, cookies, etc... I even saw a family who had sandwiches for everybody in their party!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Shellyamc

Wow!! Thank you :hug2:

I am writing all of this down!!

12. Johnie

That's some awesome information Mari!

13. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I dont really have anything to add to Mari's list - i just wanted to say how jealous i am that its only 2 hours on a plane for you all!!!

14. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

The only thing I'd say is make sure the baby is drinking on take off and landing. Ava was 7 months when we went and I was breastfeeding at the time. I fed her on take off and landing and it worked a charm :) I'm sure a bottle or cup of drink would work just as well though :)

15. Shellyamc

:lol: Dh and I have flown to Disney World twice and it took us longer to get to the six flags park in Lake George, NY than it took to get to the world. That was always a strange thought! :yes:

16. Shellyamc

I hope it does work as well! He will be out of a bottle by then, but hopefully a sippy cup might do the trick :yes: