1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Food and drink festival

Discussion in 'General' started by Deafjeff, May 4, 2014.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi.

I just realised that we will be at WDW during the food and drink festival. How does the festival work? Is it free samples or food that need to be purchased?

Any vegetarians foods that I should look out for?

Any tips?

2. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I've never been, but as I understand it, you buy vouchers that you exchange for food - that saves you having to faff with credit cards or change at each stall.

From what I've heard, there has been a bigger and bigger focus on vegetarian food in the last two years, so you should find plenty. Last year, the vegetarian sushi was a big hit.

3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Thanks Tony is there a program With full listing of all stalls etc that I can pick up?

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The Food and Wine Festival is great fun Jeff.

You have to pay for everything you have and the portions are not always that large. If you eat and/or drink at a lot of stalls then it can work out expensive.

If you look here you will see the items available and the costs from last year. Some of them are classics and will be available this year as well but others may very well change. As it gets later in the year, details of the food will become available and I will post it on Secrets as soon as it does.

I'm sure I posted some photos but I can't find them although it will be all meat and dessert dishes :sorry:

One of the things you might be interested in is that you can use your dining plan snacks at the F&WF.

At the Festival you can pick up a little booklet which gives you all the details of the foods and drinks available and as a bit of fun you can have it stamped when you go to the kiosks.

It's also worth remembering, is that the official date for the F&WF opening is the 19th September. It will actually open on the 18th as a kind of soft opening. I wouldn't get to World Showcase too early as last year they kiosks didn't open until about 12.30pm. The good thing about going on that day is that it is lovely and quiet :D

It I fun when it is not too busy and the weekends will be the worse time to go and I would suggest staying away.

It is fun and a good way to try different things but just don't expect huge portions :lol:

The other thing that is great is that they have the Eat to the Beat Concert, the acts will be revealed later this year.

5. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

Rick and I absolutely LOVE Food and Wine festival! But we goofed and went during the Free Dining event also. Needless to say, I was STUFFED!! Nothing is free, as Wendy says, but you get this little card (really cute) and put money on it and sample away! Lots of the stuff is pretty good, then there's an off chance you get something ew. But not often! that's why it's samples! LOL

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Jeff, as Wendy says there is not a whole lot available for vegetarians. I can't remember whether or not you said you eat fish though as there several fish dishes. Last year there was one stand that sold something called Gardein Chicken (Garden Protein, no meat) and if I remember correctly there was a tofu place.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You can pay with cash, personal credit card, or as BevW says, you can get a credit card style card that you load with dollars. Once it's gone, you can add more. It is very expensive if you pay attention to what you are purchasing. Most samples are in the $3-5 range anymore (for food) and some are higher. A very few are lower.

There are many non-meat options, but you'll have to ask about ingredients in some things like pierogi. They may look non-meat, but have meat products like lard, or bacon fat... never assume, eh?

It's a great time, albeit expensive.

There are other ticketed events during this time, too. Demonstrations by headliner chefs, beer sampling, wine tasting... all are prebooked, and will cost over the top of the entry ticket. There are very pricey gala style events, as well. Once the info is released for this year, you'll better know what to pick and choose from.

8. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this time of year. We were there a few years back with a veg and will be there again this year with a veg. There aren't a TON of options, but she always found a number of things she enjoyed and she says she never left hungry :)

We usually save our "snack" credits and spend one evening "Eating Around the World" with them - it softens the blow of what, as Tink said, can be a very expensive evening. All in good fun though :)