1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

For UK peeps only please.

Discussion in 'General' started by Esmeralda, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

We have air miles which I will make use of this time around. Now how do I go about using them for Florida and can I use them for any dates I like or will they be restricted in any way... in other words what's the *catch*?

This is what we want to do basically any hints or tips on how to do it better would be much appreciated.

Will book flights only with Virgin (Atlantic?) I understand that if I book a hire car at the same time it covers us for ash cloud repatriation? Then book villa separately. Going for three weeks. Am I doing this right or not... thanks.

Also want the V room. Hoping to go 2 seats in premium and two seats in first. Will this cover all four of us for V room?

Also how will this affect us going through security, would all four of us go through and will be given priority. It's been a while and need your lovely help peeps... thanks XXXX

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

You are slightly restricted with your Virgin flying club miles. Basically you will have to have an open mind about when you want to go. I decide on what month or months and then look through the various dates to see if there is anything available.

If, for instance you want to go during school holidays then you stand little to no chance at all of getting any reward seats. If you want to fly out of Gatwick on an Upper Class flight in September, then you will probably not be able to get them as they take a plane off for maintenance in September and reward flights are non existent. There are less Upper Class reward seats available than PE seats.

Will you be using miles for all of your flights because you will need 100,000 for each upper class seats plus tax etc which is about £600 now I think. For PE you will need 70,000 miles for each seat plus tax which I would presume is around £450. I'm not sure on the taxes etc, so don't quote me on them :)

I think you will also be very lucky if you can find 2 upper class and 2 PE reward seats available on the same dates.

Whatever you do don't go for a companion flight with UC, you have to pay for a full J fare which is silly money to get the companion, you would be better off paying for 2 economy or PE flights and then use miles to upgrade.

With regard to:

Will book flights only with Virgin (Atlantic?) I understand that if I book a hire car at the same time it covers us for ash cloud repatriation?

There is no insurance whatsoever included with your flight, so if you need to cancel due to a medical reason and you haven't got your holiday insurance then you won't get the cost of flights back. I haven't heard anything about the ash cloud repatriation :sorry:

With regard to the V Room, if you are flying UC you will have free access to the UC lounge which is really nice and relaxing. Until recently I didn't think you could pay to go in there as it was for UC passengers only, but Mags mentioned something abut being able to. It's something you would have to look into, or I could try and find out for you.

Does that help in any way :unsure: if you need any more info then I will try and help :)

3. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I think the V Room is for people who book a Holiday package through Virgin. We've enquirer before and bern told no we can't pay you'd need to book a holiday, booking flights only with VA doesn't count :(

Shame as is like to have a look :)

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Yep that's absolutely true. VH only

tbh it's no great shakes in Manchester. London better apparently (no surprise).... in Manchester it's filled with kids, there's bacon/sausage sandwiches (tiny but ok) and that's something but no free alcohol as there is in most other lounges.

We've been in it twice but only when free, wouldn't pay for it and nor would I particularly feel bad about not getting it.

5. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I never do the lounges either, don't see the point in shelling out £50-£60 when I could spend those pennies on my holibobs :)

6. keith

yep you're right :yes:

I get them free with my bank so I use it and try for some peace and quiet but really if you have to pay for them, I'd struggle to see the benefit

7. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I always book the lounge at Glasgow it cost me £17 and after you have free tea coffee and snack also free drinks and the comfort

8. keith

The two my card gets me into at Manchester are:
    escape lounge
    servisair

Escape WAS better when first setup but now the people are snottier, it's a bit more tatty than it was and hot foot is scarce. HOWEVER the range of alcohol is good :)

Servisair is your basic standard lounge. bacon butties if youre lucky, a few food selections but not many... alcohol controlled a little more :lol: rather than the escape lounge help yourself mode.

They ARE a little quieter than sitting downstairs which can be good...wifi etc.